Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let the debate begin: Eli or Big Ben
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Let the debate begin: Eli or Big Ben Reply with quote

I considered putting this in the game day thread, but it seems to warrant its own, since it is a long running debate:

Quote:

When the Steelers play the Giants on Sunday, there will be something swirling at New York's MetLife Stadium that has nothing to do with a superstorm. It's the long-running debate over whether Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning is the best quarterback from the 2004 draft.

Roethlisberger and Manning are known for winning Super Bowls (they've combined to win four of the eight played since they entered the league). They're known for making big plays in big moments. They're known for being tough, albeit in different ways. And they have been forever linked since the day they were drafted in the first round eight years ago. Manning was selected first overall, and Roethlisberger was taken at No. 11. The margin between them is much, much closer now.

Choosing between Roethlisberger and Manning is difficult because there really isn't a right answer or a wrong one. It ultimately comes down to preference and perspective.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/57999/let-the-debate-begin-eli-or-big-ben
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Ben is OUR QB, I gotta go with Ben. Can't go wrong either way though. Eli is top notch as well.

Go Noles!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only reason I'd side with Big Ben slightly on this is because he turns the ball over less. Maybe not early on in his career, but he's making less and less dumb mistakes. Might have to do with the improvement of our offensive line's pass blocking too. Pretty equal though.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the answer is Rivers Laughing

Honestly, you cant go wrong with either. I think Ben fits perfectly with the Steelers. Tough, gritty QB who takes a beating and keeps on trucking - just seems fitting for Pittsburgh.

Unless over the rest of their careers something drasticly changes, I dont think there will ever really be a right or wrong answer to whos better.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the debate BEGIN?

The debate has been going on since 2004 and will keep going unitl they retire.

3 years ago, I wouldve said Ben easily.

Now...they are neck and neck. Eli has become much more consistent and is a much better QB these days.

Ill take Ben for two main reasons...a) Im a Steeler fan, and b) Ben fits our style of play more than Eli (although our style of play changes more every year)

In terms of quality, though...they are on the same level.

Sadly, both are mere ants to the most talented QB in the league, Phillip Rivers.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
stefan52268

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very close pretty much a push. I would give Ben a slight edge only because I'm a Steelers fan and he fits our Offense a bit better.

I wouldn't complain if either were my QB though.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli and Ben are pretty much neck and neck right NOW, but I think Ben's easily been the better QB overall from 04-now.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Let the debate BEGIN?

Agreed-the latest incarnation:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=502390

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love what Ben & Haley are doing this year. I would say that Eli surpassed Ben over the past couple of years in development but this year shows that Ben can do the little things that make you a great qb, that move the ball and control the clock.

...you have a forum resume?
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no wrong answer

Both are winners, very good leader and they will be in HOF when their career will be over

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Let the debate BEGIN?

3 years ago, I wouldve said Ben easily.

Now...they are neck and neck. Eli has become much more consistent and is a much better QB these days.

Ill take Ben for two main reasons...a) Im a Steeler fan, and b) Ben fits our style of play more than Eli (although our style of play changes more every year)

In terms of quality, though...they are on the same level.

Sadly, both are mere ants to the most talented QB in the league, Phillip Rivers.

How's that Manning for Rivers trade tasting?? Wink Laughing
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still TBD on that trade I think. Either player was notable in 04-05 and Rivers was clearly better from 06-10. If 11-12 Rivers is what he remains then Giants won the trade in the long term though.
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Giants have already easily won this trade

Eli is better than Rivers in the playoffs, especially on the road

Yes, the Giants have given the first round choice in 2005, but the Giants had at least three very good players in 2005 which has helped the Giants to win two Super Bowl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now the Chargers still got an equal or better deal in the trade up to this point since Rivers has been the better player for the majority of the span, and they got decent play from the other picks/players for various amounts of time. That the Chargers weren't a good enough team regardless to get that team to the Super Bowl is a separate issue from the value of the trade.
lionslicer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

That gosh darn Rivers, stealing the spot light. Wish the Giants would have drafted Ben, traded for Eli and let the Steelers get Rivers. Oh what could have been!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: