Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why do Bears fans hate Lovie Smith?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Why do Bears fans hate Lovie Smith? Reply with quote

I am just totally flabergasted. Listening to Waddle & Silvy today and fan after fan calls in saying the Bears need to fire Smith. I honestly don't get it. You would think after the whole Mike Singletary HC fiasco in SF and the NYJ meltdown under Ryan that fans would realize that the fiery blowhard is a detriment in today's NFL. That the guys like Lovie that keep everything in house, that give the media absolutely nothing are the better coaches in the NFL. Somebody even had the audacity to call in and say Lovie underachieved w/ the talent the Bears have had (I'm sure the person also screamed for the Bears to fire Angelo for failing to provide enough talent to win). I honestly believe even if the Bears win the SuperBowl this year, these fans will still be clamoring to fire Smith b/c the team did it in spite of him.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're dumb?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
They're dumb?
Applause Applause Applause Applause

Well played sir

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont hate him. I was a fan of firing him after 2009. I thought some of his coaching decisions have been questionable. But he turned it around after 2009 and I give him credit for it.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Nads786

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did a poor coaching job in 08 and 09 but has really demeaned himself recently. His teams always play well against inferior opponents something that a lot of teams fail to do.

Overall he's done an awesome job for us, we just have to that ring.

I honestly feel that if we win the SB this year people will love Lovie. This city is all about idolizing its champions and that caller will change his view.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I've never gotten it either. He's a top 8 coach IMO and hasn't been given nearly as much talent wise as other guys.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think anyone hates, him, its just that he is average.

And while I think he is about a .500 coach, I think he has made the playoffs 3 times in the last like 7 or 8 years whatever. Also he has run through a crazy amount of coordinators during his tenure and a GM has been fired.

I actually think its kind of amazing that everyone loves him on this forum. A lot of the roster moves Jerry made clearly were requested by Lovie or his staff and somehow everyone blamed Jerry entirely.

I still dont get why you guys blamed Jerry for Orlando Pace and Archuletta, haha, clearly Lovie requested those guys!!

Anyway though, I dont want him fired, but Im not a huge fan.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last couple weeks, I've heard guys call into the Score and ask when they were finally gonna get rid of that bum Tillman, and also that the Bears defense hasn't been that good. Meatballs gonna meatball.
bears2308

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
I dont hate him. I was a fan of firing him after 2009. I thought some of his coaching decisions have been questionable. But he turned it around after 2009 and I give him credit for it.

Kind of in the same boat. There were times when I wanted an entire regime change, but that should be expected of fans when their team is losing. I don't get the radio station you listen to (which sucks besides this week due to the Colts beating GB Cool ) but I don't understand why fans of the Bears would be calling to [inappropriate/removed] and moan about Lovie. What we expected of this team this year has happened. Even more so considering our defensive dominance and the decent play from the o-line. I love...Lovie!
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:

And while I think he is about a .500 coach, I think he has made the playoffs 3 times in the last like 7 or 8 years whatever. Also he has run through a crazy amount of coordinators during his tenure and a GM has been fired.

I actually think its kind of amazing that everyone loves him on this forum. A lot of the roster moves Jerry made clearly were requested by Lovie or his staff and somehow everyone blamed Jerry entirely.

I still dont get why you guys blamed Jerry for Orlando Pace and Archuletta, haha, clearly Lovie requested those guys!!

75 wins in not even 8 full seasons yet. 63-12 when the offense scores at least 18 points. 2 NFCCG & 1 SuperBowl. And did all of this w/ what is universally considered an inferior roster, and that's average? What the hell was Wanny & Jauron then?

As for the personnel moves, maybe Lovie had a hand in personnel, but its the GMs job to save the coach from himself. GMs manage, coaches coach, players play.

As for the coordinator changes, In 8 years Lovie has had 3 DCs, 1 was not his pick, another received a lot of undue hate, but wasn't great. He has had 4 OCs, 2 were not his choice, the 3rd was once considered the greatest offensive mind in football, but needed somebody to save him from himself.

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

75 wins in not even 8 full seasons yet. 63-12 when the offense scores at least 18 points. 2 NFCCG & 1 SuperBowl. And did all of this w/ what is universally considered an inferior roster, and that's average? What the hell was Wanny & Jauron then?

As for the personnel moves, maybe Lovie had a hand in personnel, but its the GMs job to save the coach from himself. GMs manage, coaches coach, players play.

As for the coordinator changes, In 8 years Lovie has had 3 DCs, 1 was not his pick, another received a lot of undue hate, but wasn't great. He has had 4 OCs, 2 were not his choice, the 3rd was once considered the greatest offensive mind in football, but needed somebody to save him from himself.

I get where your coming from Superman and I agree with you on some points. Ill give him credit for a bounce back season in 2010 and its going well so far. He deserves blame though for some of those coaching blunders(Babich,Martz and himself). He was also part of the Caleb Hanie camp. We know how Mike Martz felt about him. So realistically you could blame him for part of what happened last year.

He almost got fired for some of these mistakes. So dont make it out like he didnt have a hand in what happened. He was a big part of it and luckily for him they gave him another season.

If we keep this season going and go far in the playoffs he is going to be here for a while and Im content with that. It means were going in the right direction.

Last edited by GOGRIESE on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fans hate Lovie because the last coach to win a Super Bowl in this city was a fire-and-brimstone guy, so they associate screaming with winning.

This is why so many fans have been enamoured with Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan, Mike Singletary, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, etc. There were people on this board who were nuts for Singletary even when he was losing. Same with Rex Ryan.

In general, there's still an obsession with the 1985 team that's almost unhealthy. How many times have you heard somebody say, "this team needs to be more like the 85 Bears?" That was nearly 30 years ago; the game has changed, the team has changed, and with it, people need to let go of the idea that a yelling, screaming, animated coach is inherently better than a coach who keeps calm.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Fans hate Lovie because the last coach to win a Super Bowl in this city was a fire-and-brimstone guy, so they associate screaming with winning.

This is why so many fans have been enamoured with Rex Ryan, Rob Ryan, Mike Singletary, Jim Harbaugh, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, etc. There were people on this board who were nuts for Singletary even when he was losing. Same with Rex Ryan.

In general, there's still an obsession with the 1985 team that's almost unhealthy. How many times have you heard somebody say, "this team needs to be more like the 85 Bears?" That was nearly 30 years ago; the game has changed, the team has changed, and with it, people need to let go of the idea that a yelling, screaming, animated coach is inherently better than a coach who keeps calm.

I hear this all the time as well. Its sickening actually. I dont care what the coaches personality is as long as he is winning. My favorite coach in the league is Mike Tomlin. He is the complete opposite of what those guys you listed above are. Lovie Smith is in that boat as well. At the end of the day all we want is to win.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:

64-12 after Sunday's win...

Anyone who feels Lovie isn't a great HC isn't very smart...if we had an offence in a number of other years we would have made it to the playoffs many more times...he is one of the best defensive minds in the NFL because he has created a simple D that most players fit which can dominate when it has the right pieces.

Last edited by Madmike90 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of old coaches around. Wade Phillips and Norv Turner have never coached a SB team but they keep getting hired.

Leslie Frazier in Minnesota is very quietly building a winner. Another year or two and the Vikings will have a dominent team just in time to unveil a new stadium.

For the Bears 2012 is now or never. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: