Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 9: Seattle Seahawks vs Minnesota Vikings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
- First and foremost, this was the type of game that I was waiting for from Russell Wilson. He really did nearly everything perfectly. It was a great game, especially for a rookie. He was stepping up and staying in the pocket rather than just abandoning it. He was checking progressions and hitting the open man consistently. We didn't go downfield as much today, but that's because the Vikings were using a lot of shell coverage taking away the deep third of the field, but it actually allowed Wilson to show us that he can hit those intermediate routes consistently. I was impressed by that. The offense just really looks to be clicking right now as a unit.

- I'm ready to officially call this defense mediocre. And anyone that puts the blame solely (or even majority) on Gus Bradley is just kidding themselves. The play calling is not the reason we're getting gashed on the ground. Our poor 3rd down % is on Bradley no doubt, but the sudden rush offense is on the players. This was the first time I've had the chance to see them in person since the Patriots game, and I must say the swagger of this defense is no longer there. I'm not sure what happened. I have a theory that after the big Sherman vs Brady fiasco, Pete got on both D!ck and the rest of the defense for getting a bad reputation and being immature. The past 3 games I have just seen no heart from them. And when it comes to stopping the run, it's half the desire to stop the other team. You can see when a team is playing with passion, and they simply have not had that. I echo my earlier thoughts that Red Bryant is useless on this team. Another game, another invisible man. We're playing 10vs11 out there. 3rd down defense improved today with the team blitzing more, which also defends the thoughts that the 3rd down defense was on coaching. Finally, our LBs are terrible in zone coverage. That's not on coaching either. We are just really poor in the middle zone.

- Which leads to my next thought. I think the Patriots exposed our pass defense. I think the 49ers exposed our run defense. Ever since then teams have just figured us out. Since the Patriots game we have seen MUCH more passing to the middle of the field and RBs. Sherman did not get thrown at ONCE today. Browner only got thrown at a handful of times and he picked off one of them. Most of Ponder's passes went to TEs, RBs, and WRs in the middle of the field. Most of Stafford's passes did the same thing. In the running game teams are showing a lot more plays where they pull their guards and counters on us. This does one major thing. It exposes our fast-flowing, over-pursuiting defense and gets us on our heels. It was pretty obvious watching the entire field today. ALL of the defense flows wherever the ball is going, and the counters are just bouncing out right behind us. We have no gap discipline because everyone is looking to make a play.

- Earl Thomas has a serious case of stone hands, but he's the only player on defense today that played with any intensity.

Let me point out one quote that pretty much sums up your post: "I think the Patriots exposed our pass defense. I think the 49ers exposed our run defense."

The best passing/scoring offense exposes the pass defense. The best rushing team exposes run defense.... Do you not realize how abysmally stupid that sounds? You don't call it getting exposed when its only the best thats doing that to you. Did the 49ers defense expose the Packers offense?? You make no sense dude. And if you are willing to call the defense mediocre you need to take a hard look around the league.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You clearly didn't understand what I was saying. New England exposed the pass defense, and now all of the subsequent teams we have faced have used that strategy to beat us through the air. San Francisco exposed our run defense, and now all of the subsequent teams we have faced since that game have used the same strategy to beat us on the ground.

Hopefully that clears it up.
imani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Earl Thomas has a serious case of stone hands, but he's the only player on defense today that played with any intensity.

Browner and Wagner both disagree with you. Sherman was getting involved as well.

Earl Thomas had to respond with intensity, he got embarrassed multiple times.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Tooki wrote:
I am furious with our Run D

And Unger Sad. SoS will be happy to see Jean-Pierre though

I actually was Laughing makes me mad that McQuistin plays over him.

It is a shame, although he is our only backup C option. Moffitt looked nice at LG as well (his natural side as well). But we don't need two LG's Very Happy
imani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been hard on this defense lately as well, but it in no way mediocre. Definitely not elite, but still top 10...no doubt. Yes we gave up 200 yards on the ground, but we allowed less than 50 passing yards.

Let me repeat: We held a quarterback to less than 50 yards through the air. Tim Tebow has NEVER been held under 50 yards of production. Very Impressive

Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Quote:
Earl Thomas has a serious case of stone hands, but he's the only player on defense today that played with any intensity.

Browner and Wagner both disagree with you. Sherman was getting involved as well.

Earl Thomas had to respond with intensity, he got embarrassed multiple times.

I thought that both the corners played hard as well, they just weren't thrown at often. BB made the big hussle play to stop AP 1 yard out. Sherm got verbal after he hit Percy.
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
I've been hard on this defense lately as well, but it in no way mediocre. Definitely not elite, but still top 10...no doubt. Yes we gave up 200 yards on the ground, but we allowed less than 50 passing yards.

Let me repeat: We held a quarterback to less than 50 yards through the air. Tim Tebow has NEVER been held under 50 yards of production. Very Impressive

This D is definitely Top-10. Look at the league as a whole. We are still better than most of the defenses in the NFL.
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:

- I'm ready to officially call this defense mediocre. And anyone that puts the blame solely (or even majority) on Gus Bradley is just kidding themselves. The play calling is not the reason we're getting gashed on the ground. Our poor 3rd down % is on Bradley no doubt, but the sudden rush offense is on the players. This was the first time I've had the chance to see them in person since the Patriots game, and I must say the swagger of this defense is no longer there. I'm not sure what happened. I have a theory that after the big Sherman vs Brady fiasco, Pete got on both D!ck and the rest of the defense for getting a bad reputation and being immature. The past 3 games I have just seen no heart from them. And when it comes to stopping the run, it's half the desire to stop the other team. You can see when a team is playing with passion, and they simply have not had that. I echo my earlier thoughts that Red Bryant is useless on this team. Another game, another invisible man. We're playing 10vs11 out there. 3rd down defense improved today with the team blitzing more, which also defends the thoughts that the 3rd down defense was on coaching. Finally, our LBs are terrible in zone coverage. That's not on coaching either. We are just really poor in the middle zone.

- Which leads to my next thought. I think the Patriots exposed our pass defense. I think the 49ers exposed our run defense. Ever since then teams have just figured us out. Since the Patriots game we have seen MUCH more passing to the middle of the field and RBs. Sherman did not get thrown at ONCE today. Browner only got thrown at a handful of times and he picked off one of them. Most of Ponder's passes went to TEs, RBs, and WRs in the middle of the field. Most of Stafford's passes did the same thing. In the running game teams are showing a lot more plays where they pull their guards and counters on us. This does one major thing. It exposes our fast-flowing, over-pursuiting defense and gets us on our heels. It was pretty obvious watching the entire field today. ALL of the defense flows wherever the ball is going, and the counters are just bouncing out right behind us. We have no gap discipline because everyone is looking to make a play.

- Earl Thomas has a serious case of stone hands, but he's the only player on defense today that played with any intensity.

Let me point out one quote that pretty much sums up your post: "I think the Patriots exposed our pass defense. I think the 49ers exposed our run defense."

The best passing/scoring offense exposes the pass defense. The best rushing team exposes run defense.... Do you not realize how abysmally stupid that sounds? You don't call it getting exposed when its only the best thats doing that to you. Did the 49ers defense expose the Packers offense?? You make no sense dude. And if you are willing to call the defense mediocre you need to take a hard look around the league.[/quote]

Your theory on the defense definitely makes sense. I think that somebody needs to step up and become a leader, because our D doesn't have one. With that said, the squad is young and it will come with time. We need a guy on the field to make adjustments and stop the overpursuing on plays.

I agree about Big Red. If Pete wants to keep him, we need a UT that can push the pocket and a SLB that can pass rush. Bobby Wagner will get better with his zone coverage in time.

And your third paragraph cannot be disputed. Teams have definitely keyed in on our deficincies and have started to adjust to it. Russell Wilson is improving enough to keep defenses honest, but the D hasn't. Our weakness is up the middle of the field, and as we saw today and last week, we were killed by TE's, crossing routes and slot receivers.
imani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Wilson has the 11th Ranked passer rating in the NFL right now is and 15th in QBR. 15th in completion percentage as well

SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:

Why pass when you have AP who can just run all over the field? Holding Christian Ponder to 60 yards passing is sort of a feat... but I'd be happier if we were able to get running backs to unde 100 and force them to throw at our DBs. It seems pretty clear to me that teams are pretty happy to beat us with the run.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that think this defense is still playing like a top 10 unit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/80577/around-the-nfc-west-seahawks-rush-d

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks have allowed an NFL-high 502 yards rushing over the past three weeks.

They have allowed 6.2 yards per carry over that span, easily the highest figure in the league (Oakland is second at 5.4).

I don't know what justification we have of still being a great defense.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagner has been good don't get me wrong but he was probably responsible for some of those big runs by AP having Wright get hurt didn't help us though either.

I still think this D is good though we faced Gore and now AP and our Secondary has been playing pretty well except for that Lions game i think that was more due to playing a different scheme.
imani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
imani wrote:

Why pass when you have AP who can just run all over the field? Holding Christian Ponder to 60 yards passing is sort of a feat... but I'd be happier if we were able to get running backs to unde 100 and force them to throw at our DBs. It seems pretty clear to me that teams are pretty happy to beat us with the run.

and how did that work for them?

Sacks98

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
imani wrote:

We ended up forcing there hand by bringing 8 men in the box and leaving Sherm and Browner one on one.
imani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
imani wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
imani wrote:

We ended up forcing there hand by bringing 8 men in the box and leaving Sherm and Browner one on one.

So, in a strange twist, adrian peterson forced gus bradley to change to the scheme he should have been using all along?

I love it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: