Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Three Draft Scenarios
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which option is the LEAST objectionable?
Scenario A)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Scenario B)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Scenario C)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Three Draft Scenarios Reply with quote

Struggling to make a draft I'm happy with, so interested in feedback. I based them on the assumption that we'd pick 15th. I know all of these have some faults, whether it be drafting a player too soon or too late, or not addressing a real need at all or soon enough, or going after players of questionable need, etc. I made them significantly different to get an idea of what others viewed as the lesser of the evils.

Please vote on the least objectionable of these 3 options, but focus any comments on what faults you find with the scenario you voted for. I'm interested to see if I'm on the same page with you all.

A)

1st - QB - Tyler Wilson - Arkansas
2nd - OT - Dallas Thomas - Tennessee
3rd - SS - Matt Elam - Florida
4th - RB - Mike Gillislee - Florida
5th - C - Graham Pocic - Illinois
6th - ILB - Bruce Taylor - Virginia Tech
7th - DE - Joe Vellano - Maryland

B)

1st - OG - Barrett Jones - Alabama
2nd - QB - E. J. Manuel - Florida State
3rd - OT - Justin Pugh - Syracuse
4th - ILB - Kevin Riddick - North Carolina
5th - DT - Cory Grissom - South Florida
6th - FS - Damion Stafford - Nebraska
7th - TE - Ryan Griffin - Connecticut

C)

1st - QB - Tyler Wilson - Arkansas
2nd - ILB - Michael Mauti - Penn State
3rd - C - Khaled Jones - Southern California
4th - FS - D. J. Swearinger - South Carolina
5th - OT - James Hurst - North Carolina
6th - DE (OLB) - Walter Stewart - Cinncinnati
7th - CB - Brodrick Brown - Oklahoma State

Last edited by Yibbyl on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First fault I see right off the bat is there's no small school player. In every single draft that this franchise has been apart since Ken Whisenhunt was hired we've selected at least 1 (In a few drafts, more than 1) player from a sub division school. This is a firmly rooted draft day trend that seems seem to be dying. Every year the draft comes, every year we take a small school player. None of these scenarios have a single small school prospect.

That's the problem I have first and foremost.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
First fault I see right off the bat is there's no small school player. In every single draft that this franchise has been apart since Ken Whisenhunt was hired we've selected at least 1 (In a few drafts, more than 1) player from a sub division school. This is a firmly rooted draft day trend that seems seem to be dying. Every year the draft comes, every year we take a small school player. None of these scenarios have a single small school prospect.

And to further that most are skill positon/defenders;

Ben Patrick in 07, DRC in 08, Tim Hightower in 08, Brandon Keith in 08, Greg Toler in 09, Andre Roberts in 10, John Skelton in 10, 2011 we did not pick a not Div 1 prospect, Justin Bethel in 2012.

Only one player on the OL/DL there and only one other player in the "trenches" is Ben Patrick. Three DB's.

Another interesting thing to look at there is really, the only one to have sustained impact for this team is Roberts.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Ben Patrick in 07, DRC in 08, Tim Hightower in 08, Brandon Keith in 08, Greg Toler in 09, Andre Roberts in 10, John Skelton in 10, 2011 we did not pick a not Div 1 prospect, Justin Bethel in 2012.

Only one player on the OL/DL there and only one other player in the "trenches" is Ben Patrick. Three DB's.

Another interesting thing to look at there is really, the only one to have sustained impact for this team is Roberts.

While not a non-FCS schoo, I have always considered Rob Housler from Florida Atlantic a smaller school player. I wouldn't say Cincinnati (Scenario 3) would be even compare to that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

While not a non-FCS schoo, I have always considered Rob Housler from Florida Atlantic a smaller school player. I wouldn't say Cincinnati (Scenario 3) would be even compare to that.

Yeah, I wasn't actively trying to find a way to get a small school guy in just to say I had one. Though after I put these together, I thought the South Florida kid would qualify, but he was it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't actively trying to find a way to get a small school guy in just to say I had one. Though after I put these together, I thought the South Florida kid would qualify, but he was it.

This is all about picks and fun basically but going through I picked up no small school player and basically just said to myself, "This isn't realistic". I'm not trying to rude, that's just where my mind went.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

This is all about picks and fun basically but going through I picked up no small school player and basically just said to myself, "This isn't realistic". I'm not trying to rude, that's just where my mind went.

No prob...didn't think you were being rude anyway. Actually, I'd rather people tried making me cry with their comments on this! Laughing I have my reasons as to why I don't like all 3 of these scenarios and don't believe I'd be lucky enough to get all the players I really wanted without artificially making some drop to a later pick. I'm more interested in seeing what people would be willing to sacrifice to get something else they valued more.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least objectionable. 1 or 3.

I hate 2, don't want Manuel, don't see elite QB there, and with him if he is not elite he will never be a game manage style QB either, he will turn the ball over et al.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Least objectionable. 1 or 3.

I hate 2, don't want Manuel, don't see elite QB there, and with him if he is not elite he will never be a game manage style QB either, he will turn the ball over et al.

Yeah, I think Manuel is a long shot to make a career as an average NFL QB. Truth be told, I think this QB class is going to end up being one of the weaker ones in recent history...making it especially bad for us to try to upgrade the position with a young guy. I had thought about making a 4th scenario where no QB was drafted, but it just made for too many other options to track.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 1 contains a QB that has taken more vicious hits than the ones we have already, pass.

Rest of option 1 is palatable however, i like James from Miami instead of Gillislee, but that is me, same round however.

Option 2 is nice, replace Manuel with a OL pick and i would take that, lacks star power, just good players, i can live with that , we need to take solid players, not risks/projects. Also, Riddick will go before 4th round, late 2nd or early 3rd.

Option 3 has Wilson, pass, if you replace him, with who? third option has better results for us, compared to 1st
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, after looking around at some mocks it's gonna be a terrible draft... Kinda hoping we don't win a meaningless game at the end of the season. We were just talking Playoffs a month ago.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Option 1 contains a QB that has taken more vicious hits than the ones we have already, pass.

Rest of option 1 is palatable however, i like James from Miami instead of Gillislee, but that is me, same round however.

Option 2 is nice, replace Manuel with a OL pick and i would take that, lacks star power, just good players, i can live with that , we need to take solid players, not risks/projects. Also, Riddick will go before 4th round, late 2nd or early 3rd.

Option 3 has Wilson, pass, if you replace him, with who? third option has better results for us, compared to 1st

I totally understand any resistance to Wilson due to the beating he's taken. QB is an important & expensive position...don't want an injury-prone guy there.

I went Gillislee over James due to injury history, but I'm actually not really interested in a RB, especially in the early to mid rounds. We've got too many guys injured right now, but I'd roll with this group of RB's another year if we could improve the OL.

As for who I'd replace Wilson with, again with a guestimated #15 pick, I'd go after Barrett Jones. Given that there are so many potential OL holes to fill, I like Jones' ability to play both G spots & C. That allows us more flexibility in setting that OL and also helps out more if there are injuries. He's also someone I could see making the OL calls in the future. I think his addition would go a long way in solidifying our OL for years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones i liked alot last year, he would be good, give us options with Synder and Lyle.

Real issue is FA before the draft, if we can do anything to fix the line, it makes the draft a little less important and we can not reach/panic to fix holes.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Jones i liked alot last year, he would be good, give us options with Synder and Lyle.

Real issue is FA before the draft, if we can do anything to fix the line, it makes the draft a little less important and we can not reach/panic to fix holes.

Our record in free agency isn't strong though. That's how we got stuck with Snyder. I'd be weary of putting too much stock into that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt say we were going to do anything

Just hoping we do something in FA.

If we do get a Vollmer etc, we might be picking differently

However, this franchises track record, we will pickup a few overpriced journeymen and draft some players to fill holes and aim at 8-8 again next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: