Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bucs trade CB Aqib Talib and 7th round pick to Pats for 4th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! Talib is the kind of CB i like. Stronger and can man up against those bigger WRs that love to burn us so much. Worth a late 4th, even if we only get him for half a season. On the other hand tho, he's headache... lets just hope he doesn't get in anymore trouble while he's here.

Mack on the sig
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grachuus wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Considering the secondary players we've drafted lately, I'd rather have Talib for half a season than take a flyer on someone in the fourth round Laughing

It's not so much the rental cost it's that he's had a few out of character decisions that have stacked up. None of it is definitive but the collection of unusual events is noticeable.

He's not exactly been one to shy away from trading away low choices for guys that's for sure, but this point in the year for that much (don't recall the last trade for that much when there was no real contract for certain) is a flag.

It's like your significant other being weird say. Staying out late one night and not returning your texts isn't scare worthy. But say they hide their phone from you, close all their webbernet windows whenever you come by, and their friends seem cold and distant from you, I'd be concerned. None of the factors are significant in it of themselves. Just looks like something to me in aggregate.

If you are checking the person's cell phone and browse history, that relationship already has problems.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
awesome! Talib is the kind of CB i like. Stronger and can man up against those bigger WRs that love to burn us so much. Worth a late 4th, even if we only get him for half a season. On the other hand tho, he's headache... lets just hope he doesn't get in anymore trouble while he's here.

He's big strong kid, and I don't think he'll get in trouble here... but its not like he's a great cornerback right now, if anything he's pretty bad. I'm not sure he'll play to the level which a lot of people are expecting him atm.

It'll be interesting to see what our much-maligned DB coaches get out of a player with undeniable talent. Fingers crossed.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Last edited by 24isthelaw on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the simple fact the Patriots made an effort to fix a position of need on the team, whichever way it happened.
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did get confirmation from the NFL -- Aqib Talib sits through New England's Week 10 game vs. Buffalo. Eligible to report the next day.

http://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/264117777504272384
Tom Brady Tribute
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Did get confirmation from the NFL -- Aqib Talib sits through New England's Week 10 game vs. Buffalo. Eligible to report the next day.

If we traded a 4th then I have to think that this is no rental, and that there is an interest in resigning him at the end of the season.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Babylon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

If we traded a 4th then I have to think that this is no rental, and that there is an interest in resigning him at the end of the season.

Honestly, it smells to me like the secondary play made them justifiably desperate and with the 5th and 6th rounders gone, it had to be for a 4th. I think this was an expensive (hopefully) 10 game rental, and on the off chance he actually manages to go 4 months without being accused of a felony or pissing hot, then we'll hopefully get a 6th or so comp pick when he signs a very incentive, conditional contract somewhere else.
Richter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very conflicted about this. The price was right, and Talib is as talented as they come, but he's a bad guy. His character issues are no joke. Corey Dillon was no choir boy when the Pats snagged him from Cincinnati, but his issues pale in comparison to Talib. Whatever the Pats do with him, they should make sure he doesn't take a cab...
tml_gogo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I know these threads can turn into one team who got the player saying it was a great deal, and the team that lost the player saying he sucks anyway. I'm not here to do that.

Aqib Talib is a guy with amazing potential. When he's on, he is one of the best cover corners around. Big guy, good hands for the ball, and great anticipation. However, stemming back to about mid last year, he hasn't been very good. He seems to get completely roasted often, and seems lost out there occasionally. This year he has been a bit of a mix, playing alright and then giving up a big play. Hit and miss, basically. I'm not going to comment on the off the field issues, I'm sure you're all aware of it by now.

I think you guys made a good deal. If he plays up to his potential, and he has certainly shown that capability already in the NFL, you guys got a fantastic #1 corner for a 4th rounder. If not, well it was only a 4th rounder, and with the Pats propensity for wheeling and dealing picks, it's not a big deal.

I wish him the best, and hopefully he keeps his head on straight.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's worth the risk at this point, but this now leaves the Pats without a 4th, 5th, and 6th rounder next year. Didn't seem to hurt much last draft when they were in a similar situation, but if Talib doesn't work out it sure will sting that the team is missing the middle of their draft because of turds like Haynesworth, Talib, and Ochocinco.
Rec: 100 (3rd in NFL)
Yds: 1,172 (9th in NFL)
TDs: 4
Stickin' it in Bill's face one game at a time.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tml_gogo wrote:
Alright, I know these threads can turn into one team who got the player saying it was a great deal, and the team that lost the player saying he sucks anyway. I'm not here to do that.

Aqib Talib is a guy with amazing potential. When he's on, he is one of the best cover corners around. Big guy, good hands for the ball, and great anticipation. However, stemming back to about mid last year, he hasn't been very good. He seems to get completely roasted often, and seems lost out there occasionally. This year he has been a bit of a mix, playing alright and then giving up a big play. Hit and miss, basically. I'm not going to comment on the off the field issues, I'm sure you're all aware of it by now.

I think you guys made a good deal. If he plays up to his potential, and he has certainly shown that capability already in the NFL, you guys got a fantastic #1 corner for a 4th rounder. If not, well it was only a 4th rounder, and with the Pats propensity for wheeling and dealing picks, it's not a big deal.

I wish him the best, and hopefully he keeps his head on straight.

Thanks for the post.
Tom Brady Tribute
Grachuus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Considering the secondary players we've drafted lately, I'd rather have Talib for half a season than take a flyer on someone in the fourth round Laughing

It's not so much the rental cost it's that he's had a few out of character decisions that have stacked up. None of it is definitive but the collection of unusual events is noticeable.

He's not exactly been one to shy away from trading away low choices for guys that's for sure, but this point in the year for that much (don't recall the last trade for that much when there was no real contract for certain) is a flag.

It's like your significant other being weird say. Staying out late one night and not returning your texts isn't scare worthy. But say they hide their phone from you, close all their webbernet windows whenever you come by, and their friends seem cold and distant from you, I'd be concerned. None of the factors are significant in it of themselves. Just looks like something to me in aggregate.

If you are checking the person's cell phone and browse history, that relationship already has problems.

Read what I wrote there bucko. Not what I said, nor was it the point.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
samgurl775 wrote:
Grachuus wrote:
More sacrificing the future (at least in comparison to past behavior.) If BB is still coaching in four years I'll be shocked.
He's only 26 though. I think a 26 year old Talib is better than a 21 year old fourth rounder, especially with our recent track record of drafted secondary players.
he is a FA after this season, though.

Yep, contracts are always why good players get traded for mid and late round draft picks who are below their talent level.

Often, yes.

In Talib's case, that he was even available (and available for only a 4th) is probably mostly due to him being a scumbag/headcase.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES

ALL WORLD POTENTIAL

EEEK I AM PUMPED
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Troy Brown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayhawk. My favorite player in his draft, I wanted the Patriots to draft him. But I wasn't really aware of big of a piece of crap he is so hopefully Belichick does some of his reform work on him

ELRammy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: