Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Titans Terrible Defense Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: The Titans Terrible Defense Thread Reply with quote

As of Sunday we have given up 238 points in 7 weeks. In 2008 we gave up 234 points for the WHOLE season. This brings me to my question.

We all know the Lions have a 2-4 record and they don't show that they are improving that much. If by some chance Jim Schwartz is fired as head coach would you take him back as DC? If not who would you bring in assuming Gray is let go at the end of the season?
titansfan1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray needs to go. He is a complete tool. The TD that the Bills got to put them ahead was embarassing. Yes, Griffin blitzed and I'm sure most would put the blame on him but who do you think called the blitz to leave Stevie Johnson in one on one coverage?
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would write my defensive review for this week, but my girlfriend came for a visit and I ended up only seeing the last half of the game.

That said- injuries, injuries, depth, depth, scheme, scheme.

We need McCarthy. Witherspoon is a massive drop off at this point.
We need more defensive ends- Morgan and Wimbley both play 90+% of snaps.
And, as always, Gray doesn't seem to have any idea of how to scheme.

To be fair, Buffalo's offense is not bad. THey're just really streaky- when Fitzy is playing well, that offense can be one of the best in the league. And without McCarthy, our run defense turns to [inappropriate/removed]. I think a decent backup MLB is going to be one of our mid-late rounds priorities this offseason.

Oh, and before people start blah blahing about how the Dline isn't playing the run well- there was a stat before the game last week- we have the second most "Stops" in the league. Our problem, is, and continues to be, not having McCarthy. Witherspoon is only able to run side to side and try to tackle 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage (Steven Tulloch anyone?). McCarthy shoots through gaps and fills holes, stopping the running back in his tracks.

I still don't understand why we do badly defensively man. Can anyone really complain about our corners this year? I think all the way down to Mouton has been pretty impressive. They get beat every once in a while, but they're usually totally on target. It's just Jerry's stupid deep zone scheme I guess. I thought our defense against Pitt was great- we essentially shut down all the intermediate stuff, and gave up one big play (which is better than giving up no big plays and giving them free rein on the intermediate stuff, imo). But then he immediately switches back to this [inappropriate/removed] stuff.
s_camp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Schwartz fan, generally, but the truth is his great defenses had Haynesworth playing at an All-Pro level. Outside of that, the D wasn't incredible. Better than now, sure, but nothing amazing. I would not want him back as DC.

Having said that, I don't know who I would want.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was against the idea at 1st but I'm all in favor of finally switching to the 3-4. We have most of the personel for it . We just need a coach. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping Rex Ryan gets fired and we bring him in as DC. We need a coach like him. I know he makes alot of dumb statements but he's still one of the best defensive minds in the game. He's got swag and brings attitude to the team. He brings that fire we need. Our offense is on the way up but the defense will never be anything more then average until we find a new DC. Jerry Gray is a joke. Should've left him at Texas. We're stuck with a bum at safety. It still pisses me off we let a top 7 CB walk and resigned one of the dumbest and softest safeties in the league. McCarthy, Ayers, Brown, Verner, McCourty, Morgan, Casey, Martin, Klug, and Wimbley are the only players I'd keep going forward. Also I'm not sure what happened with Klug but he needs to get it together. Ok I'm done with my rant.
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some defense numbers that don't make any sense

Snap counts
---------------
Wimbley played 57-61 snaps
Morgan played 56-61.

There is no way we can keep these guys fresh playing them the whole game. We've got to figure something out here. Heck, why not try Klug at DE? He sure isn't getting many snaps at DT. Speaking of which, I don't see how Klug is only getting 6 snaps. Put the guy in on passing downs. He was one of, if not our best pass rusher last season. I'd really like to see what Ayers could do with his hand in the dirt as well.

Jurrell Casey 45
Mike Martin 29
Scott Solomon 7
Karl Klug 6
DaJohn Harris 3
Pannel Egboh 2

McCourty and Griff played the game which is all good and dandy, but Mouton played 53 snaps meaning we were in dime or nickel 87& of the time. This means no Z.Brown on the field. The kid only played 7 snaps. The LB snaps are all messed up because of the injuries so I'm not even going to include the majority of those.

We missed 9 more tackles this week. That's just plain bad.
prozac77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Titans are on pace to break the points allowed in a season record which is 533 held by the 1981 Baltimore Colts.
Fascinating stuff really....
Finnerception

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're saying is that if we shut out our next 9 opponents, we're right on pace to be as good as the 2008 defense? Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell are we 3-4 again????
Not only that but we are 0.5 game out of the WC spot.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm giving a big NO to taking Schwartz back. I wanted to hang him by his nuts when he was here. IMO Albert Haynesworth is the only reason he got a HC job. If it wasn't for him, Jim's defense would've looked almost as bad as this one in so many ways.

I'll go on record and say this. At this point, I'd be more than happy to take a disgraced Greg Williams back over Jim Schwartz or another year of Jerry Gray.

Titanium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get someone off the 49'ers staff. Or the Texans staff that may have learned something from Wade Philips.
prozac77

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
I was against the idea at 1st but I'm all in favor of finally switching to the 3-4. We have most of the personel for it . We just need a coach. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping Rex Ryan gets fired and we bring him in as DC. We need a coach like him. I know he makes alot of dumb statements but he's still one of the best defensive minds in the game. He's got swag and brings attitude to the team. He brings that fire we need. Our offense is on the way up but the defense will never be anything more then average until we find a new DC. Jerry Gray is a joke. Should've left him at Texas. We're stuck with a bum at safety. It still pisses me off we let a top 7 CB walk and resigned one of the dumbest and softest safeties in the league. McCarthy, Ayers, Brown, Verner, McCourty, Morgan, Casey, Martin, Klug, and Wimbley are the only players I'd keep going forward. Also I'm not sure what happened with Klug but he needs to get it together. Ok I'm done with my rant.

Let me throw a name your way. Ron Rivera. It looks like the Panthers could be cleaning house if things don't pick up there and Rivera has coordinated some great defenses in both the 3-4 and 4-3.
The only problem is, he has never played/worked for the Titans/Oilers so he probably won't get hired seeing as that it is a requirement for them Laughing
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely do not want Schwartz back. He's better suited as a head coach than a defensive coordinator, so let that tells you all you need to know.

Could not stand his statistical defense and bland formations.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prozac77 wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:

Let me throw a name your way. Ron Rivera. It looks like the Panthers could be cleaning house if things don't pick up there and Rivera has coordinated some great defenses in both the 3-4 and 4-3.
The only problem is, he has never played/worked for the Titans/Oilers so he probably won't get hired seeing as that it is a requirement for them Laughing

That's another good name. He's not really HC material but like you said, we probably won't go out and find one even if Gray does get fired . We'll probably promote Frank Bush or one of the sucky assistant coaches.
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of stealing Wade Phillips, I just don't know how to fix our D. We are so bad that I'm not sure where we should begin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: