Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quarterback 2013?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who should the Quarterback be in 2013?
Kevin Kolb
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
John Skelton
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Ryan Lindley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Draft (specify which one below)
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

AZPSquared

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Quarterback 2013? Reply with quote

Either stick with the quarterbacks on the roster already or go get draft one.

Draft Options (that could be taken on Day 1 or 2 because any later is a project, no Geno Smith because he will go top 3): Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Tyler Bray, EJ Manuel, Landry Jones.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Landry or Bray for a second round pick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ignore the Vick stuff to keep it realistic but we might have to make a decision on Kolb after the draft. If either Geno or Barkley are available I'd take them and cut Kolb... If we can't draft one we keep Kolb and make it take a pay cut. I do wanna see Lindley start a couple games this season.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
I'll ignore the Vick stuff to keep it realistic but we might have to make a decision on Kolb after the draft. If either Geno or Barkley are available I'd take them and cut Kolb... If we can't draft one we keep Kolb and make it take a pay cut. I do wanna see Lindley start a couple games this season.

Bolded: Can't. Kolb has a 2 million dollar roster bonus due in March.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot will depend on what the Cards decide with Kolb. He won't be back under his current contract next year because he is due over $11 million in salary and bonuses. Skelton will be back because he is under contract for about half a million. I think Kolb gets the axe but in that situation the team will have to draft QB in the first round or potentially run with Skelton while a rookie sits on the sidelines.

Justo on the sig
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

I was wondering what that misc. bonus was... You gotta pick it up for security reasons at QB but it wouldn't prevent us from still drafting a QB and cutting Kolb.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

I was wondering what that misc. bonus was... You gotta pick it up for security reasons at QB but it wouldn't prevent us from still drafting a QB and cutting Kolb.

Paying 2 million dollars, which fully hits our salary cap, just to turn around and cut him isn't something I think our front office will be excited about.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly would stick with Kolb. Where we are drafting we are very unlikely to get Geno or get someone to want to trade for Geno. I like Barkley, but not sure if I really want him on this team.

Other than that I would not draft another QB in this draft, they don't give us any more than what Kolb, Skelton or Lindley can.

"Ignoring" the QB position might not seem smart to the casual fan, but the fact is unless you are going to get yourself a guaranteed upgrade I would rather avoid them. Quarterbacks are very important in this league, but the real difference makers are that top 15% of QB's in the NFL, those top 5-6 guys.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Paying 2 million dollars, which fully hits our salary cap, just to turn around and cut him isn't something I think our front office will be excited about.

It would definitely hurt financially but you have to pick up his option regardless. Remember a new coach coming in wants his own franchise QB in their first draft... Frazier took Ponder, Philbon took Tannehill, Ryan took Sanchez, Pagano took Luck, Morris took Freeman, Swartz took Stafford (the list goes on)... If you take a QB you eat that 2M but end up saving 40.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

It would definitely hurt financially but you have to pick up his option regardless. Remember a new coach coming in wants his own franchise QB in their first draft... Frazier took Ponder, Philbon took Tannehill, Ryan took Sanchez, Pagano took Luck, Morris took Freeman, Swartz took Stafford (the list goes on)... If you take a QB you eat that 2M but end up saving 40.

Huh? If a new coach is hell bent on a new QB the way basically all the guys you mentioned were, we won't even mess with Kolb. We'll cut him and save 42.

I don't understand your point with that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Huh? If a new coach is hell bent on a new QB the way basically all the guys you mentioned were, we won't even mess with Kolb. We'll cut him and save 42.

If you let him go before his bonus it makes you show your hand and limits your options. Say the new coach wants Geno Smith, well there's no way of knowing if he falls to your pick. Kolb is insurance unless the new staff is comfortable with Skelton or Lindley as backup plans (not likely).

The Rebuild Has Begun...
JeremyB80

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to vote for Kolb we were winning with him, but i missclicked!

Amazing thank you going to MoJo122-b-21 for this sick signature!!!
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

If you let him go before his bonus it makes you show your hand and limits your options. Say the new coach wants Geno Smith, well there's no way of knowing if he falls to your pick. Kolb is insurance unless the new staff is comfortable with Skelton or Lindley as backup plans (not likely).

I get what you're saying but asking to pay 2 million dollars when we're already crunching simply isn't feasible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with Barkley. Cut Kolb before the draft and maybe sign a guy a lot cheaper like Matt Moore although a Hasselback-type QB would be a better mentor.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I honestly would stick with Kolb. Where we are drafting we are very unlikely to get Geno or get someone to want to trade for Geno. I like Barkley, but not sure if I really want him on this team.

Other than that I would not draft another QB in this draft, they don't give us any more than what Kolb, Skelton or Lindley can.

"Ignoring" the QB position might not seem smart to the casual fan, but the fact is unless you are going to get yourself a guaranteed upgrade I would rather avoid them. Quarterbacks are very important in this league, but the real difference makers are that top 15% of QB's in the NFL, those top 5-6 guys.

My thought as well. First, I'm not really impressed with this QB class and where we'll pick I don't expect to get a real difference maker - I think we'll get another project. However, I think this is a pretty strong class for O-linemen. Given Kolb's decent but short audition this year behind a suspect OL, I'd like to see how he'd look behind a group he could be more confident in. Doesn't mean 2 drafts from now we'll have access to a better QB to draft, but at least we'd already have some portion of a decent OL in place. Who knows, it might even be respectable enough to tempt a quality FA QB to consider us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: