Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

first ravens game
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hemm68


Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Posts: 408
Location: the other frozen tundra
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: first ravens game Reply with quote

alright. y'all gotta help me out. the girlfriend and I are taking our first trip to Baltimore to watch them take on the raiders. we are gonna have a couple of days to kill while we're there and need a few ideas for something to do. she keeps rambling off musuems and such to do and I'm not to stoked about that. help a fellow ravens fan out.

sincerely,
a history ignorant fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8696
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a similar request from an out-of-country Ravens fan not too long ago (last season?) related to one of his buddies traveling to Baltimore. I think it was DanFS (where's he been, BTW?). Anyway, some recommendations:

-Baltimore/National Aquarium is really nice. Apparently they don't have a Dolphin Show anymore, though.
-If your GF insists on museums, the Visionary Arts Museum in SoBo is pretty cool. It's right next to Federal Hill park which is a nice place to spend some time (although its getting colder)
-Definitely go out to dinner in Little Italy one night. Germano's is one of my favorite spots, but its a little pricey. Whatever you do, desert from Vaccaro's is a must.
-Pregame, Pickle's pub is a good spot, although I always felt that it's a bit more of an Oriole's pregame ritual.
-Ravens Walk on game day is always cool.
-Not sure where you'll be staying, but Power Plant is a fun going out spot with a lot of variety in spots, from pub atmosphere, to beer garden, to dance club. I used to live in Federal Hill (live near Camden Yards now) and that's a fun area, especially near Cross Street Market.
-Baltimore Soundstage is a pretty cool music venue. Lots of variety. Not sure what you're into, but here's their website:
http://www.baltimoresoundstage.com/calendar/
Rams Head Live is another music venue:
http://www.ramsheadlive.com/calendar/
-Not sure if you will have a car or if you are flying in. Some other cool places to check out (not saying its my favorite, but you have your GF with you) are old Ellicott City (About ~13 miles from the middle of the city) and... (more to come)
-You can take the MARC train from Baltimore City to Union Station, DC if you are carless. All of the Smithsonian museums are free. If you are interested in going to the zoo, I highly reccomend the DC zoo over Baltimore.

I'll add more later.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
alfalcone


Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: first ravens game Reply with quote

hemm68 wrote:
alright. y'all gotta help me out. the girlfriend and I are taking our first trip to Baltimore to watch them take on the raiders. we are gonna have a couple of days to kill while we're there and need a few ideas for something to do. she keeps rambling off musuems and such to do and I'm not to stoked about that. help a fellow ravens fan out.

sincerely,
a history ignorant fan


As someone born and raised in Baltimore, I honestly have no idea what you do as a tourist.

I suppose your supposed to go the Aquarium, the two most notable museums are the Museum of Industry, which is on the harbor, and the Museum of Art which is by Johns Hopkins University. If you haven't had Maryland Crabs before I'd suggest getting them, though they are out of season, I'd suggest Bo Brooks if you're downtown, and maybe go to Fort McHenry. If you get bored I'd say explore Harbor East, Canton, & Fells Point. The best bars tend to be in Federal Hill, Canton, and Towson which is in the suburbs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8696
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: first ravens game Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
hemm68 wrote:
alright. y'all gotta help me out. the girlfriend and I are taking our first trip to Baltimore to watch them take on the raiders. we are gonna have a couple of days to kill while we're there and need a few ideas for something to do. she keeps rambling off musuems and such to do and I'm not to stoked about that. help a fellow ravens fan out.

sincerely,
a history ignorant fan


As someone born and raised in Baltimore, I honestly have no idea what you do as a tourist.

I suppose your supposed to go the Aquarium, the two most notable museums are the Museum of Industry, which is on the harbor, and the Museum of Art which is by Johns Hopkins University. If you haven't had Maryland Crabs before I'd suggest getting them, though they are out of season, I'd suggest Bo Brooks if you're downtown, and maybe go to Fort McHenry. If you get bored I'd say explore Harbor East, Canton, & Fells Point. The best bars tend to be in Federal Hill, Canton, and Towson which is in the suburbs.


I forgot to mention Fort McHenry.

One place that's a ton of fun is Little Havana (right next to the museum of industry), but it won't really work out since you're going to the game. I'll mention it though as a tip to anyone here who finds themselves in Bmore on a lazy sunday. $17 brunch on Sundays that comes with Bottomless Mimosas/Bloody Marys. I go with the Cuban Sandwich everytime (Sofrito that is comes with is bomb status). Should definitely check it out some time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
hemm68


Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Posts: 408
Location: the other frozen tundra
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! ill have to look at it a little more closely when I get near a computer. also I'm looking to get her a little ravens gear while were there. can't have her going to the game looking like a civilian. where's the spot. we're flying in so our mobility will be limited to public transit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8696
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemm68 wrote:
thanks! ill have to look at it a little more closely when I get near a computer. also I'm looking to get her a little ravens gear while were there. can't have her going to the game looking like a civilian. where's the spot. we're flying in so our mobility will be limited to public transit.


Where are you staying?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DontTazeMeBro


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 25793
Location: 321
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close is Baltimore to 6 Flags?

The aquarium is pretty neat. I'm not really into that sorta thing but I had fun.

Your gonna have a blast at the game though. My first one was in 99. Titans went to the Super Bowl that year and we just stomped them. Like 48-14 or something.
_________________

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22529
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good suggestions in here for sure. For Ravens gear, you'll find it all over the place especially if you're staying near the Harbor. There's a sports store right in there (I actually used to work there).

Bay Cafe is a nice place for lunch (it's in Canton, at least I think it's Canton), right on the water and good food and drinks. Other than that, sp6488 covered a lot of the good spots to hit.

@DTMB - Baltimore is about 30 mins or so from Six Flags IIRC. I think it's down near Crofton, but I've only been once and it was years ago.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DontTazeMeBro


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 25793
Location: 321
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting everyone elses amusement parks don't stay open all year round.
_________________

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8696
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 Flags is actually farther than Crofton. It's down in PG county. Not super close to Baltimore and as far as amusement parks go in general, not great.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
hemm68


Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Posts: 408
Location: the other frozen tundra
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
hemm68 wrote:
thanks! ill have to look at it a little more closely when I get near a computer. also I'm looking to get her a little ravens gear while were there. can't have her going to the game looking like a civilian. where's the spot. we're flying in so our mobility will be limited to public transit.


Where are you staying?


We are staying over in linthicum heights. not super familiar with the city so I'm not sure how far we are away from anything. Thanks for all the great suggestions. we are definitely going to spend a day in the harbor and find us some seafood. We don't get much of that up here in minnesota. I think the aquarium is also going to be a destination.

Other than that I live in a pretty busy tourist area up here and from my experience you don't really get the taste of northern minnesota doing all the touristy things they have. So if there's anything that really embodies the city that tourist don't get at that's what I would really enjoy doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12980
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemm68 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
hemm68 wrote:
thanks! ill have to look at it a little more closely when I get near a computer. also I'm looking to get her a little ravens gear while were there. can't have her going to the game looking like a civilian. where's the spot. we're flying in so our mobility will be limited to public transit.


Where are you staying?


We are staying over in linthicum heights. not super familiar with the city so I'm not sure how far we are away from anything. Thanks for all the great suggestions. we are definitely going to spend a day in the harbor and find us some seafood. We don't get much of that up here in minnesota. I think the aquarium is also going to be a destination.

Other than that I live in a pretty busy tourist area up here and from my experience you don't really get the taste of northern minnesota doing all the touristy things they have. So if there's anything that really embodies the city that tourist don't get at that's what I would really enjoy doing.

Well you could always take a cab ride stroll through Sandtown along North Ave/Belair Rd. It'd be a very culturally informative trip if I'd say so myself. Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ravens_rool28


Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 19370
Location: #BOOZE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
hemm68 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
hemm68 wrote:
thanks! ill have to look at it a little more closely when I get near a computer. also I'm looking to get her a little ravens gear while were there. can't have her going to the game looking like a civilian. where's the spot. we're flying in so our mobility will be limited to public transit.


Where are you staying?


We are staying over in linthicum heights. not super familiar with the city so I'm not sure how far we are away from anything. Thanks for all the great suggestions. we are definitely going to spend a day in the harbor and find us some seafood. We don't get much of that up here in minnesota. I think the aquarium is also going to be a destination.

Other than that I live in a pretty busy tourist area up here and from my experience you don't really get the taste of northern minnesota doing all the touristy things they have. So if there's anything that really embodies the city that tourist don't get at that's what I would really enjoy doing.

Well you could always take a cab ride stroll through Sandtown along North Ave/Belair Rd. It'd be a very culturally informative trip if I'd say so myself. Laughing
I lol'd.

Pit Beef is a MUST, and if you want a real taste of Baltimore find some Lake Trout.
_________________
Desperado82 wrote:
It's the magic of alcohol

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bmore4life815


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 3429
Location: Climbing up M&T
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: first ravens game Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
hemm68 wrote:
alright. y'all gotta help me out. the girlfriend and I are taking our first trip to Baltimore to watch them take on the raiders. we are gonna have a couple of days to kill while we're there and need a few ideas for something to do. she keeps rambling off musuems and such to do and I'm not to stoked about that. help a fellow ravens fan out.

sincerely,
a history ignorant fan


As someone born and raised in Baltimore, I honestly have no idea what you do as a tourist.

I suppose your supposed to go the Aquarium, the two most notable museums are the Museum of Industry, which is on the harbor, and the Museum of Art which is by Johns Hopkins University. If you haven't had Maryland Crabs before I'd suggest getting them, though they are out of season, I'd suggest Bo Brooks if you're downtown, and maybe go to Fort McHenry. If you get bored I'd say explore Harbor East, Canton, & Fells Point. The best bars tend to be in Federal Hill, Canton, and Towson which is in the suburbs.


I forgot to mention Fort McHenry.

One place that's a ton of fun is Little Havana (right next to the museum of industry), but it won't really work out since you're going to the game. I'll mention it though as a tip to anyone here who finds themselves in Bmore on a lazy sunday. $17 brunch on Sundays that comes with Bottomless Mimosas/Bloody Marys. I go with the Cuban Sandwich everytime (Sofrito that is comes with is bomb status). Should definitely check it out some time.

Yeah, LH is money. I usually get either the Huevos Fritos a la Cubana or their signature avocado omelette.
_________________

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MilleniumD2000


Joined: 20 Jan 2009
Posts: 485
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: first ravens game Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
alfalcone wrote:
hemm68 wrote:
alright. y'all gotta help me out. the girlfriend and I are taking our first trip to Baltimore to watch them take on the raiders. we are gonna have a couple of days to kill while we're there and need a few ideas for something to do. she keeps rambling off musuems and such to do and I'm not to stoked about that. help a fellow ravens fan out.

sincerely,
a history ignorant fan


As someone born and raised in Baltimore, I honestly have no idea what you do as a tourist.

I suppose your supposed to go the Aquarium, the two most notable museums are the Museum of Industry, which is on the harbor, and the Museum of Art which is by Johns Hopkins University. If you haven't had Maryland Crabs before I'd suggest getting them, though they are out of season, I'd suggest Bo Brooks if you're downtown, and maybe go to Fort McHenry. If you get bored I'd say explore Harbor East, Canton, & Fells Point. The best bars tend to be in Federal Hill, Canton, and Towson which is in the suburbs.


I forgot to mention Fort McHenry.

One place that's a ton of fun is Little Havana (right next to the museum of industry), but it won't really work out since you're going to the game. I'll mention it though as a tip to anyone here who finds themselves in Bmore on a lazy sunday. $17 brunch on Sundays that comes with Bottomless Mimosas/Bloody Marys. I go with the Cuban Sandwich everytime (Sofrito that is comes with is bomb status). Should definitely check it out some time.

Yeah, LH is money. I usually get either the Huevos Fritos a la Cubana or their signature avocado omelette.

Thinking about going there for the Browns game this Sunday. How's the game day experience there?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group