Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So How Do I Professionally Turn Down This Job Interview?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: So How Do I Professionally Turn Down This Job Interview? Reply with quote

So I started attending Graduate School last Fall. This semester I am trying to go Full Time but it's very hard with a full time job. However, I could become a Graduate Assistant in which I become a Director for one of the Dorms. I have an in with 3 or 4 of the current Directors that have given me a recommendation. I really would have liked the job but there's one key issue...

I got married last year and we immediately got our own place. In doing so we purchased all of our first furniture and if I take the Hall Director job I get a Fully Furnished apartment with no place to store the thousands of dollars worth of furniture we purchased after getting married.

As a result I have to turn down the job. I informed the person hiring that the furniture issue might actually be a problem and she responded asking if I was still interested in the position. But I don't know how to turn the position down in a professional and mature way in my e-mail response...

Any ideas?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell them that while you're extremely grateful that they would consider you for this position it doesn't fit with your current goals and living situation.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what Vikefan79 said. Just tell the truth. Not the exact details but just say the job would put too much strain on other aspects of your life.

People turn down job interviews all the time for similar reasons. You dont need to sweat it.
skywindO2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just applied for a Hall Director position at my alma mater. Hoping to hear good things for it, was too lazy/cheap to attend OPE though which probably hurts my chances.

I feel like the furniture issue shouldn't be that much of a problem. Maybe the school has storage for it the furniture provided if you wanted to bring your own?

If you're already set on declining the job, just saying that you're no longer interested at this time, or that you don't feel the job would be a good fit for you is a professional way to do it. Make sure to mention your appreciation of the offer though.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つZIMMER༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Last edited by skywindO2 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywindO2 wrote:
I actually just applied for a Hall Director position at my alma matter. Hoping to hear good things for it, was too lazy/cheap to attend OPE though which probably hurts my chances.

I feel like the furniture issue shouldn't be that much of a problem. Maybe the school has storage for it the furniture provided if you wanted to bring your own?

If you're already set on declining the job, just saying that you're no longer interested at this time, or that you don't feel the job would be a good fit for you is a professional way to do it. Make sure to mention your appreciation of the offer though.

Honest to God I LOVE my current job but I would leave it solely for the fact that this would let me finish my Grad program in less than 2 years. Its just that I talked to them and they said they used to accomodate furniture while housing Hall Directors but no longer do because it became epensive and time consuming to remove the pre-furnished furniture.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sell your current furniture and take all that money with you into your fully furnished apartment and finish your grad degree. What's the problem with doing that?

Clearly. I joined this site in 2005 to talk movies.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furniture can be stored. You can rent an indoor storage unit for cheap. If you like the idea of the job, and it's a really good opportunity, don't pass it up because you like your furniture.

If you really don't want it, VF79 has the right answer.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
buno67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your turning down free housing a job thag can cover your grad school cause of your coaches and crap...
Store it, sell it, let a family member store it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent a u-haul and drive all of the furniture to a storage unit. Pretty simple.

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya dude, don't turn it down. Store your stuff

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a storage unit, they're not very expensive, don't turn down a good job over furniture.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Furniture can be stored. You can rent an indoor storage unit for cheap. If you like the idea of the job, and it's a really good opportunity, don't pass it up because you like your furniture.

If you really don't want it, VF79 has the right answer.

or...

VF79 is moving to a new house, so you could ship your furniture to HIM for storage.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Just tell them that while you're extremely grateful that they would consider you for this position it doesn't fit with your current goals and living situation.
^THIS

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt let material items such as furniture get in the way of a job and a place to stay. It isnt much to rent a large storage unit and it should save you money in the end.

Or if you have family nearby, let them borrow it (as long as you trust them to take care of it and be respectful) or store it. I dont know your families living situation, but if they have excess bedrooms, perhaps they could just let you unload the stuff in there for awhile.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furniture or Path in Life.

Hard choice.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: