Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jake Long
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDog74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Jake Long Reply with quote

News out of Miami is that may be on his way out. Now I'm a realist so I know this is a huge leap of faith and I put the chances of it really happening at <1% but...

With his declining play is there anyway we could look into him as a RT? Here is why I think it makes sense:

1. We aren't paying Kalil a huge cornerstone LT salary. May be give Long a two year deal?

2. Is Loadholt the answer at RT? His play has also declined recently.

3. I know 6' 8" OGs aren't exactly common, but we could slide Loadholt to RG and solidify one of our biggest needs.

4. With a line core of Kalil, Sullivan, Loadholt and Long we'd be set. Ponder backers such as myself couldn't use the protection argument and AD would have huge holes.

Again it's a shot in the dark (Long will most certainly find a suitor as a LT) but I figured I'd at least mention it and get your takes on the possibility.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Long Reply with quote

BigDog74 wrote:

other than the offside penalties against him in the CHI game, i thought he was doing better this year. not so?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Loadholt has played well. Some of Peterson's best run have come from running on Loadholts side. Where we need to spend money on the line is upgrading the guard position.
JMac79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, think I'll join the chorus noting that Loadholt's play has improved this season; he may never be the greatest pass protecting RT, but he's one of the best in run blocking, and he's improved in his pass sets.

From what I've heard, Long's play has gone downhill from a couple years ago, but my guess is that there will be teams needing help at either OT spot that would willing to throw some good money at hoping Long can rebound. Similarly, I'm not a fan of trying to slide Loadholt (or Long for that matter) in to play OG; at 6-8 and not the being the most athletic or agile guy, I don't know if he can get low enough to play with decent leverage inside. That's not mentioning the issue of having a guy his size potentially blocking the QB's throwing lanes in the pocket.

It's an interesting idea, but I think the money would be best used elsewhere...

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
marshpit23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Long Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
BigDog74 wrote:

other than the offside penalties against him in the CHI game, i thought he was doing better this year. not so?

Hmmm I thought he was playing pretty well this year. In fact, I just bought a Loadholt jersey....dang! Confused
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, the lack of production this year from Long has come with Miami's switch to a WCO... So, I'm not sure he would be a great fit with us anyways. And I also don't think he will settle for a 2 year deal. I'm sure other (better) offers will be on the table.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loadholt's play has improved this year I agree. But I do think he still struggles from time to time with Pass Pro. He seems to be a fantastic fit at OG (minus his size) with his ability to dominate in the run game and Long would be a great pass blocker, while still excelling in the run game at RT I believe. It was just some food for thought and a more of a discussion point instead of something I actually think could/should happen
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long will not sign with a team to be a RT. (Unless they throw ridiculous money at him)

Loadholt will walk (he's a UFA after the season) if the plan is to move him to guard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay Long, LT money to play RT... no thanks.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks. According to PFF, Loadholt is the 6th ranked RT in the NFL. He has been getting better. I'd rather take the money it would take to sign Long, and resign Loadholt, and sign Andy Levitre.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jake Long Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
BigDog74 wrote:

His play has been much better this year not worse. We have no need for Jake Long. None. Guards are the problem not Tackles.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

It's so empty living behind these Cassel walls.

Vikings QB Wishlist

1. Derek Carr
2. A.J. McCarron
3. Aaron Murray
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't Long just play Guard?

Bright and Happy days are coming to the Minnesota Vikings very soon.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

There aren't many 6'7 guards in the NFL. I think smaller DT's like Geno Atkins would eat him up with quick penetration moves and a guard that big can be a disadvantage because they're easier to gain leverage on and also he would cost too much. Could probably find and OG in the 2nd round who would be much cheaper.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

It's so empty living behind these Cassel walls.

Vikings QB Wishlist

1. Derek Carr
2. A.J. McCarron
3. Aaron Murray
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

Pay a guard left tackle money? Again, no thanks.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an all around unlikely proposal. Long is a good LT, but we will soon have one of the best in Kalil. You dont need premier RTs and OGs to get by in the NFL. We dont even know if Long can play OG.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: