Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Salary Cap Hell OR How we can get under and sign Wallace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how far over the cap we really are and whether we can get a deal done with WR Wallace, if we keep Wallace then I think Mendy is gone, if we don't then I think we can sign Mendenhall.

Gotta have two good RB's. Batch is not it, Redman I just don't know, he performed better when he was the #2 than he did as the starter.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two entirely different stories when a running back with over 100 rushing yards that his team also won... From a team that lost but had a RB who ran for over 100 yards.

What I see, coaches like Dwyer much more than Redman even if Redman has been very servicable at RB position. Or that Haley set up a much better plays for our running game. Basically what I'm saying is two things; a response to 43M's statement on Dwyer's overweight. Honestly, his work ethnic on field never has been questioned, it's his conditioning and that's a big difference from work-ethnics on field. Casey Hampton have been constantly out of shape past what, 5, 6 years? When Season start, he shows up. Bottom line, keep one of three RBs for now (Mendenhall, Redman, and Dwyer) and yes Dwyer is a RFA but if we get to keep two, upcoming season of 2014... do you keep dwyer? no? Those are my contract concerns regarding the steelers' FO.

They have made some good investments... Also very bad ones. Within the cap issues, it's a very safe concept of keeping the youngest one with at least injury concerns, which point out to Dwyer.

As for the wide receivers... I ACTUALLY can see us letting Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders both go. Probably wouldn't be a good idea, but it won't be a worst scenario. Of course this means Steelers may draft one, two wide receivers in the draft and we had a good success with wide receivers recently (not claiming because the trend shows, it will work in future) but I'm suggesting that the confidence of FO may overshadow the factors. They may feel like if both is asking for more than what they can afford, let them go.

For reference of posters on this forum, I want to keep Manny Sanders. Don't know about how he see it from his perception, is he satisfied with his role? Would he feel like he is being underpaid if he got his role expanded? Many things can factor into the contract issues. I just want to let old veterans on defensive go for most of things, also I'm more than open to let Heath Miller go (I won't remind people about how he is relat- opps!) I don't see it and I am satisfied with how Miller have been performing, but he is replaceable and we can find an upgrade.

The day of no more 1st string TE blocking may happen soon, I'd rather find us some athletic freak at TE position and help us stretch the field. I hope that if Heath Miller gets to stay, he'd get a paycut as well. He'd be a superb #2 TE.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just can't agree with much you say. Our team likes Dwyer much more than Redman, and you know that because.....? Also, cutting both Sanders and Wallace? I bet you're going to cut Cotchery too, so we get rid of 3 of the 4 WR's on our 53 man team. Brilliant!! Cutting Miller?? You mean the dude who is 2nd in TD's and is a stud in blocking and catching? You cannot be serious.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
It depends on how far over the cap we really are and whether we can get a deal done with WR Wallace, if we keep Wallace then I think Mendy is gone, if we don't then I think we can sign Mendenhall.

Gotta have two good RB's. Batch is not it, Redman I just don't know, he performed better when he was the #2 than he did as the starter.

First off, I dont think we keep Mendy at all. Not saying it cant happen, but I just dont see it.

Secondl...the bolded is entirely untrue. You'd like to, but you absolutely do not NEED it.

As long as you have a franchise QB, all you NEED is one decent RB who can make some things happen when asked...not be Adrian Peterson or anything. Obviously, you'd like to have a good 2nd RB, but its not neceesary. In 2008 when we won the SB, we were down to Gary Russell as our RB due to injuries.

If Dwyer continues to show well, there is little reason to sign Mendy with our cap situation the way it is. Redman is a good backup, and Reiney can fill a role as well. And they could always get another guy later in the draft or as a UDFA.
Dook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2008 do you think we would have gotten to the Super Bowl if we only had Gary Russell the whole year?

We can get all kinds of guys later in the draft but we already have those in Batch and Redman and Rainey. Redman's YPC avg is 2.5. Batch is 1.8. Rainey's is at least somewhat acceptable at 3.9 but we all know he can't be a full time RB because of his size.

It's like saying that you can do fine with only one good WR, you can if he never gets hurt.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
In 2008 do you think we would have gotten to the Super Bowl if we only had Gary Russell the whole year?

We can get all kinds of guys later in the draft but we already have those in Batch and Redman and Rainey. Redman's YPC avg is 2.5. Batch is 1.8. Rainey's is at least somewhat acceptable at 3.9 but we all know he can't be a full time RB because of his size.

It's like saying that you can do fine with only one good WR, you can if he never gets hurt.

Comparing the same games being they were running behind the same offensive lineman and facing the same run defenses: compare redman's to dwyer's stats.
lionslicer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:

Rainey wasn't drafted to be a full time running back, he's a utility player who can step into a few roles.

It's early, Dwyer might keep being good, or he might be irrelevant. Mendy could come back in and put up monster numbers, or he might not. There is still a lot of season left before we start talking about drafting a running back in the later rounds. There are bigger issues on this team.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:

No...but our running game was 23rd in the league that year and Ben wasnt playing well. We had a historic defense that year, which obviously helped, but in the end, you still dont need two good backs.

Alot of teams...including alot of good teams, dont even really have one.

San Franciso and Houston. But SF doesnt really have a franchise QB, and while Arian Foster is an elite back, it doesnt change the fact that the Texans scheme has made mediocre backs look like all stars in the past. Remember Reuben Droughns?

Dook wrote:

Our run blocking was laughably bad the first month of this season, so its unfair to look at those YPAs. Dwyer looked pretty bad the first month too, and so would have Mendy, and hell, probably Adrina Peterson for that matter.

Dook wrote:

Its actually nothing like that, because this is a passing team now in a QB driven league and we have a franchise QB that needs weapons.

Tons of teams, including us, have proven you can win without two good backs or even one.

All Im saying is that you dont NEED two good backs. How many teams actually have that? IMO...we may be one of them. But just like any good running team, they need to have dependable blockers up front paving the way.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my sentiment on cutting players are misunderstood.

When I said I wouldn't be surprised, it means we may make some weird cuts... Including keeping veterans like Hampton and Keisel!

I truly don't think Hampton is staying and I hope not but Steelers FO were the ones who put themselves into this cap issues, so they may be shooting themselves in the foot and releasing more offensive playmakers because we have an "elite" QB. This won't be first time, Patriots did that in past. At one point, David Givens were their best WR!

43M is right, Dook. I always have said for us, Steelers the running game is a luxury you want to have. It's not a need. When playing dink n dunk, you don't need a superb talent at running back position. It'd be nice to have one though!
treat88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
It depends on how far over the cap we really are

In regards to keeping Mendenhall...no, it really doesn't depend on that.

Unless the guy is going to take a minimum deal, the resources can be invested much more wisely elsewhere.

If they feel thin at RB with Dwyer (no pun intended), Rainey, and Batch headed into 2013 sign a street FA or spend a late pick to fill the back-up grinder role.

If we have no faith in Dwyer to produce or stay healthy spend a mid-rounder on a RB....whatever.

So long as they don't tie up sizable resources in the RB position when there are so many other critically important positions on the defensive side of the ball to invest in I'm cool with it.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
The Curtain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mendenhall didn't have the durability issues, I'd say do what it takes to keep him. But considering how young we drafted him, he's missed a lot of time. It's not a wise gamble to throw money at a fairly expendable position like that for a guy who isn't a world beater when he's there and healthy, which is becoming more and more rare these days.
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like with the majority of American families right now who are having to be extra aware of their budgets, FINANCES are about to become the bottom line reality with this team, regardless of whom we might want to keep around. There will have to be a brutal cost-benefit analysis regarding quite a few of the players! Big Ben and certain others with solid deals and solid play get a pass, that is it. There will be painful decisions and trade-offs that fans may not understand or like at all.

I see almost no situation where we keep Mendenhall. The opportunity cost would be so high in terms of other pressing needs, especially on D. Under tight budgets luxuries are usually the first to go, both for families and for teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: