Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Salary Cap Hell OR How we can get under and sign Wallace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
3rivers


Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 2699
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodbye wallace, go drop passes somewhere else and be overpaid. Arians will be waiting for wallace, while Haley's haas a new offense that keeps the qb out of the hospital. Sounds fair to me. At the same time, we keep many players on the team instead of releasing them or losing them to keep one player.

I can't believe there are people here that want to keep him for what he will command, as well as cut all the player plu expect the other players to play for minimums.

bye 17 Laughing
_________________
when a coach says we need to execute, he really is saying it's the players fault, not the fault of him or his staff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Curtain


Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 531
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure lots of teams would love to have Mike Wallace. Teams like Arizona or Detroit, that already have an epic WR would become a match up nightmare for any defense if they picked up Wallace.

We should really, really hope that he doesn't go to Cinci to join AJ Green in humiliating our defensive backs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49967
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Pretty sure lots of teams would love to have Mike Wallace. Teams like Arizona or Detroit, that already have an epic WR would become a match up nightmare for any defense if they picked up Wallace.

We should really, really hope that he doesn't go to Cinci to join AJ Green in humiliating our defensive backs.


Arizona? They just drafted Michael Floyd in the first, have tons of money tied up in WR already, and have much bigger issues. And there is no chance that Wallace will go somewhere to play second fiddle like he would to Fitz. Thats one of the least likely destinations for him.

Detoit could happen, but again, not likely.

The Bengals...they just drafted Sanu and Marvin Jones, and while Wallace would be nice, I cant see it. Even if they did, Andy Dalton doesnt have the arm to utilize him to his full potnetial.

I could see the Redskins. They already have a burner in Garcon, but I wouldnt put it past Snyder.

Pats are another one. They lack a deep threat pretty badly and Welker may be gone.

There are numerous teams he could land on. Not every team is a great fit.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Curtain


Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 531
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless, for a guy who is as good a deep threat as he is, there's going to be a number of teams after him. Some teams are probably hoping we don't resign him. So this idea that Wallace needs the Steelers or something is not true. He'll have no trouble finding a team.


I do think the Steelers will make the right choice, whether they sign him or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gatoradus


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 2219
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather let ike taylor go and eventually, let him back on different contract that is more friendly cap-wise, give him an expansion role. He'd not only be a cb, but a safety as well. This may help us focusing on more pressing needs in draft. We need talents but the problem is at every positions and as much we'd like to draft whole defensive players, it won't happen. It'd be nice having more room in cap to sign us a fa likes of ryan clark or james farrior types rather than a special team players at best.

I'm more than fine letting wallace go, even sanders. As you see, if they ask for more, don't give them it. Now's not time to get desperate, we are still a playoff team even with those depleted roster if we actually let go more than we'd like to have.

Bottom line: if there's time to make a strong change, it's now.

As our O-line is getting better, I see no reason to not make a big change, prospect-wise and scheme-wise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8233
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Pretty sure lots of teams would love to have Mike Wallace. Teams like Arizona or Detroit, that already have an epic WR would become a match up nightmare for any defense if they picked up Wallace.

We should really, really hope that he doesn't go to Cinci to join AJ Green in humiliating our defensive backs.


Arizona? They just drafted Michael Floyd in the first, have tons of money tied up in WR already, and have much bigger issues. And there is no chance that Wallace will go somewhere to play second fiddle like he would to Fitz. Thats one of the least likely destinations for him.

Detoit could happen, but again, not likely.

The Bengals...they just drafted Sanu and Marvin Jones, and while Wallace would be nice, I cant see it. Even if they did, Andy Dalton doesnt have the arm to utilize him to his full potnetial.

I could see the Redskins. They already have a burner in Garcon, but I wouldnt put it past Snyder.

Pats are another one. They lack a deep threat pretty badly and Welker may be gone.

There are numerous teams he could land on. Not every team is a great fit.


I would add Seattle and Miami to the list. Both have money to spend
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6427
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way Wallace stays is if he is tagged.

If he is tagged it will be at the expense of key D players and OL depth.

Pick your poison. Personally, I'd rather keep Wallace and go young on D with hopefully a new DC named Butler....but that's just me, I get the flip side.

Sure seems like Khan/Colbert thought TV money was going to jump this coming season.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigBiss


Joined: 23 Jan 2010
Posts: 109
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would I be boo'd out of town for saying let mendy and wallace walk? that whould likely mean a extra 3rd and 4rth pick in 2015, when we will likely need to fill alot of age voids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6427
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBiss wrote:
would I be boo'd out of town for saying let mendy and wallace walk? that whould likely mean a extra 3rd and 4rth pick in 2015, when we will likely need to fill alot of age voids


Not at all. Both outcomes are pretty likely.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49967
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
BigBiss wrote:
would I be boo'd out of town for saying let mendy and wallace walk? that whould likely mean a extra 3rd and 4rth pick in 2015, when we will likely need to fill alot of age voids


Not at all. Both outcomes are pretty likely.


Yeah.

Mendy becomes even more expendable if Dwyer keeps playing well.

HOWEVER, my biggest fear is that Dwyer plays well and is up for a long term extension....I would be hesitant given his history of laziness, Id be afraid that, once paid, he would pull a CJ0K.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
BigBiss wrote:
would I be boo'd out of town for saying let mendy and wallace walk? that whould likely mean a extra 3rd and 4rth pick in 2015, when we will likely need to fill alot of age voids


Not at all. Both outcomes are pretty likely.


Yeah.

Mendy becomes even more expendable if Dwyer keeps playing well.

HOWEVER, my biggest fear is that Dwyer plays well and is up for a long term extension....I would be hesitant given his history of laziness, Id be afraid that, once paid, he would pull a CJ0K.


Maybe we can all buy him some Duncan Donuts as a reward for his extension Laughing I agree though, it's tough to give out extensions to players with questionable work ethics. I'd be more inclined to give it to Redman if he plays well the rest of the year, but it's close. People are going to knock Redman, but truth is he didn't have the same holes Dwyer has now. Or, if we do give him an extension make it an incentives deal!


Last edited by at23steelers on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bobikus


Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 8833
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Youre delusional if you think Wallace is going to take the same contract as Brown. He'll test free agency and make an extra $20 million with another team.



I don't know why everyone can't get this huge fact through their heads!!

Wallace could drop every pass thrown to him the rest of the year and his past along with his young age will be more than enough to get him his huge payday..... elsewhere!!!!!


I'd still like to take him at $9-10mil a year but he can still probably get 11+ somewhere else.

That said I hope we look at a WR second day in the draft or scope FA out if Wallace walks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6427
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
BigBiss wrote:
would I be boo'd out of town for saying let mendy and wallace walk? that whould likely mean a extra 3rd and 4rth pick in 2015, when we will likely need to fill alot of age voids


Not at all. Both outcomes are pretty likely.


Yeah.

Mendy becomes even more expendable if Dwyer keeps playing well.

HOWEVER, my biggest fear is that Dwyer plays well and is up for a long term extension....I would be hesitant given his history of laziness, Id be afraid that, once paid, he would pull a CJ0K.


Dwyer is a RFA in 2013, so at least we don't have to worry about paying him for a while....if ever.

Gives us 2 draft classes/offseasons to make long range plans at the RB spot as well, or at least find inexpensive band aids.

I really can't foresee any scenario that makes sense to pay Mendenhall and I've been the biggest Dwyer basher on here.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49967
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
BigBiss wrote:
would I be boo'd out of town for saying let mendy and wallace walk? that whould likely mean a extra 3rd and 4rth pick in 2015, when we will likely need to fill alot of age voids


Not at all. Both outcomes are pretty likely.


Yeah.

Mendy becomes even more expendable if Dwyer keeps playing well.

HOWEVER, my biggest fear is that Dwyer plays well and is up for a long term extension....I would be hesitant given his history of laziness, Id be afraid that, once paid, he would pull a CJ0K.


Dwyer is a RFA in 2013, so at least we don't have to worry about paying him for a while....if ever.

Gives us 2 draft classes/offseasons to make long range plans at the RB spot as well, or at least find inexpensive band aids.

I really can't foresee any scenario that makes sense to pay Mendenhall and I've been the biggest Dwyer basher on here.


Not that I disagree, but I dont see Mendy getting a huge contract from anybody. I think he will sign 2-3 year deal with another team, and if he plays well should get a bigger contract. I just dont see any teams giving him a 4 or 5 year contract with good RB money.

Then again, I didnt think we would give a good contract to a fat, mediocre lineman coming off a serious injury, so who knows?
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treat88


Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Posts: 6427
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
treat88 wrote:
BigBiss wrote:
would I be boo'd out of town for saying let mendy and wallace walk? that whould likely mean a extra 3rd and 4rth pick in 2015, when we will likely need to fill alot of age voids


Not at all. Both outcomes are pretty likely.


Yeah.

Mendy becomes even more expendable if Dwyer keeps playing well.

HOWEVER, my biggest fear is that Dwyer plays well and is up for a long term extension....I would be hesitant given his history of laziness, Id be afraid that, once paid, he would pull a CJ0K.


Dwyer is a RFA in 2013, so at least we don't have to worry about paying him for a while....if ever.

Gives us 2 draft classes/offseasons to make long range plans at the RB spot as well, or at least find inexpensive band aids.

I really can't foresee any scenario that makes sense to pay Mendenhall and I've been the biggest Dwyer basher on here.


Not that I disagree, but I dont see Mendy getting a huge contract from anybody. I think he will sign 2-3 year deal with another team, and if he plays well should get a bigger contract. I just dont see any teams giving him a 4 or 5 year contract with good RB money.

Then again, I didnt think we would give a good contract to a fat, mediocre lineman coming off a serious injury, so who knows?


I don't see Mendenhall getting paid big money either.

I just can't see expending any resources on the position if Dwyer proves he's a viable option given our cap situation.
_________________



"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group