Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

V.2 Finley thinks Finley is a Playmaker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do You feel about Finley
Approve
48%
 48%  [ 17 ]
Disapprove
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 35

palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terranimal wrote:
someone brought up an interesting point on another board, so will throw it out there here and see what everyone thinks....not saying I'm sold and buying it, but it is another viewpoint.

Does Finley remind anyone of Terrell Owens? Not production wise, but his comments off field and to the press? Someone has raided the question of "Does Finley have to be showed the love early in the game to keep him in game before he becomes disheartened?"

It's an interesting thought. Was reading through that last link and when Finley is saying they should just throw it every time and go No-Huddle, two thoughts came to mind....

1.) Was that sound like you're second guessing your head coach.

But the second 2.) Almost reminded me of the statement of give me the darn ball.

It's just seems to me that Finley is a head case lately and his own worst enemy. From a fan standpoint it's sad, but from a business standpoint I'm thinking if this doesn't change real soon, no way I hand him over 8 mil next year.

Production is everything in the NFL though. Fans generally loved TO when he was on their team. Why? Because he produced like a HOF WR should. I can draw a parallel with the Cowboys current star WR much more than I could with TO. By all accounts, TO was also a very hard worker year round. Anything but the case with Finley. In short, TO's core issue was his big mouth. Finley's core issue goes much deeper than that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Dunderhead wrote:
Maybe teams are game planning for him... I dunno. I know you don't deal with it this way though.

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/10/24/12/Finley-wishes-double-teams-on-teammate/landing_packers.html?blockID=809557&feedID=5065

Finley is what we thought he was... The guy is injured right now so the "Oley" block doesn't effect me so much... But it always seems this way with Finley and the mouth never stops. I hope he gets better as the season moves along, but I don't hold it against Rodgers or McCarthyy to move along either. Finley has been given opportunities, he just hasn't done much with them.

So he talks? Big deal. I don't get why people make it out to be, he obviously isn't smart and is a bit delusional but he genuinely wants to make plays out there. That headline is the perfect example of [inappropriate/removed]-poor journalism. He's joking to his wife that they should double team Jordy instead of him and that headline is just total garbage. We don't even need him to block, have him release every time, I guarantee there will be eyes out there watching him, which are eyes that aren't focused in the run game. He's one of the games best decoys, but he needs to make the plays he is capable of soon.

It's not journalism and not trying to sell it as such. I think it's a blog type thing? I guess my deal is this with Finley - its always taking the good with the bad. Unfortunately the good isn't good enough. That's not to say the guy never makes a play. I've said this before and I'll say it again, he's a twin of Jackie Harris. Great measureables, he'll show you stuff, but he'll never be elite - just decent to good, especially because of the injuries. Kinda like an old Ferrari, super cool when it works but not dependable...

And as far as the injury, it's always easy for a fan to say he should do it, just block out the pain. But these guys are professionals and there are injuries we never really hear about. When we do, they're normally pretty serious and most all of us would probably be rehabbing rather than trying to make our money taking shots to those same body parts. So when I hear a guy is injured and out there, I'll defend and give props to him and not tear him down.

I gotta give Finley props for being gutsy and playing through it.
Terranimal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's all answers I think.....Jason Wilde's article at espnwisconsin.......

http://espnwisconsin.com/corp/page/11%2F02%2F12_Finley_looks_to_regain_%27beast_mode%27/4401?fe

Before any more comments, think everyone needs to read this first.....seriously......kind of what I have been trying to get at but haven't been able to say and another part I hadn't thought about at all and makes sense...

The thing didn't think about and my bad wasn't in the article but Jason talked about tonight was Finley by McCarthy's thoughts seemed to play better when he was a bigger body TE verses now as a slim down WR type. He seems to be hesitant on the field and Jason also talked of how the Packer's Doctor has told him to run out of bounds, go down when tackled etc; to protect himself. If that part true we might not ever see the beast Mode again...

Homer and jason went on about how Finley isn't consistent and seems to have some confidence issues. If he has to worry about things and his leg, we might not ever see the Finley of '09 again or only once in awhile.

Jason who has been in Finley's corner and supporter forever, now has doubts that the team will keep him and pay him the 8 mil next spring, unless we see him return to form the rest of the season....
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
nothing wrong with what he said (again).

Non-issue if literally anyone else on our team had made the exact same comments. But...it's Finley so it's a story here.

I have an issue with this one. I've defended him all along, but this is it.

Quote:
I don't have a say (in how many times he's thrown the ball)

That right there. Come on. You do have a say. Get open, and don't freaking drop the ball. Rodgers will give it to you.

I totally agree with palmy, I'd have a hell of a hard time giving him up. But damn, he needs to shut up and put up at this point. If he has a dud of a game this Sunday, that's about it for me expecting big things out of him. And hopefully he proves me wrong.
Willink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see this?

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Arizona-harkens-memory-of-Jermichael-Finleys-greatness/bfc0e473-e617-4cc8-97bb-6633071a5972?campaign=fb121102finley

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
Anyone see this?

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Arizona-harkens-memory-of-Jermichael-Finleys-greatness/bfc0e473-e617-4cc8-97bb-6633071a5972?campaign=fb121102finley

And this makes me want to revoke my previous post.

We'll see.
mxr124

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon J-Mike! We need that guy back!!
Terranimal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willink wrote:
Anyone see this?

yeah check the link and post I made above with Jason Wilde's article from espnwisconsin.... Wink

These guys all share their stuff now days as Jason had his article out before that and I heard the rest of it on Homer's show at 4:45 pm CDT.
dcerb44

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Terranimal wrote:
someone brought up an interesting point on another board, so will throw it out there here and see what everyone thinks....not saying I'm sold and buying it, but it is another viewpoint.

Does Finley remind anyone of Terrell Owens? Not production wise, but his comments off field and to the press? Someone has raided the question of "Does Finley have to be showed the love early in the game to keep him in game before he becomes disheartened?"

It's an interesting thought. Was reading through that last link and when Finley is saying they should just throw it every time and go No-Huddle, two thoughts came to mind....

1.) Was that sound like you're second guessing your head coach.

But the second 2.) Almost reminded me of the statement of give me the darn ball.

It's just seems to me that Finley is a head case lately and his own worst enemy. From a fan standpoint it's sad, but from a business standpoint I'm thinking if this doesn't change real soon, no way I hand him over 8 mil next year.

Production is everything in the NFL though. Fans generally loved TO when he was on their team. Why? Because he produced like a HOF WR should. I can draw a parallel with the Cowboys current star WR much more than I could with TO. By all accounts, TO was also a very hard worker year round. Anything but the case with Finley. In short, TO's core issue was his big mouth. Finley's core issue goes much deeper than that.

Terranimal

I'm not picking on you with this post but I wanted to add a comment about what you wrote about your two thoughts after reading that article. Shouldn't Finley be wanting to have the ball thrown all the time? He's a receiver, that's his job. Not to mention with athletes, you want the ball in your hand at all times; at least the competitive ones do. Over the years pretty much all the receivers on our team have stated they get frustrated at a lack of catches. Why? Because you want to be the man, the top dog who "puts the team on his back" and performs well. It's instinctive for those guys.

That may seem as questioning McCarthy, but isn't that what you want out of your players? Would anyone react the same if Rodgers was playing poorly and made the same comment?

Finley does have his faults, there's no denying that but this article I didn't have any objections with what he said. Perhaps we see it in a different light though.

Palmy

I'm glad you pointed out the difference between a TO vs. Finley. Wasn't a fair comparison at all to TO. Never a fan of the man but respected him as an athlete. We all know J-Fin is only a few IQ points smarter than a brick but I don't endorse the ideals from anyone that he doesn't care or is a malcontent. I honestly think Finley's core issues stem from confidence. You can clearly see how it's affected him since that terrible injury he had years ago. The way he blocks, the way he tries to catch the ball in traffic with his body rather than his hands, the way he runs out of bounds before a hit instead of taking it are prime examples. Wilde alluded to it greatly in his article that someone posted here too. In short, I think he still hasn't gotten over that mental hurdle about his knee and future health in general and it's affecting his game. Not to mention when you do drop passes, it demoralizes some people's psyches dramatically. Same with some pictures when they lose command of their go-to pitch. Everyone reacts different and it varies how long it takes people to work through their fears. Did enjoy reading how McCarthy signaled Finley out in a one-on-one session and showed him that video of his monster game against Zona. I don't think Finley is the kind of guy who needs motivation (fire lit under his arse) but rather the sort of individual who needs to be encouraged to overcome his fears and play loose.

It can be hard to find that drive and hunger again after something dramatic happens to you and it will make for a very hard choice on Thompson's end to determine if he should cut the cord or not.

I know my personal experience doesn't allude to much because I'm not on the same tier of athletic superiority or competition as Finley but I remember when I blew out my knee in semi-pro as a running back and how it dramatically affected my psyche. Instead of running with the mantra of "being the hammer, not the nail" I found myself worried about that next injury and thus may not have ran as hard through tacklers or taken a step out of bounds when I could of gained another yard or two. It took me some time to lose that fair and play as myself. I don't offer this up as an examination that this is the crux and solution of Finley's problem but only rather as an example of what some players may go through and how not everyone reacts in the same fashion or time frame.

Btw Palmy, how's the new job working out?

pf9 wrote:
This should definitely be McCarthy's swan song. If we're lucky Bret Bielema will come back to this state and coach the Pack next year.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old friend, how have you been?
dcerb44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:

Great Rashaan and thanks too. Life has been wonderful, yet stressful at the same time. Finishing up my BA degree in Business Administration and leaning but not positive on going forward towards an MBA. Haven't quite decided if I want to do it right away and make that financial commitment or venture out in the work field for a year or so and then get it.

Been quite a while since I've been on here posting. Have lurked here at times but only when I had the free-time to do so and hasn't been much between school and work full-time along with the woman; who actually may end up being "the one". Regardless, I feel blessed at what the future holds.

How about yourself? I believe you were at Rutgers...or was that DannyB? For some reason can't put my finger on it.

Is awesome to see all the new "faces" around here though. Been reading through quite a few of the threads. Lots of new ideals and opinions to interject in Packer Nation. Another plus to see you and some of the older posters still around too such as DannyB, Pina, Polaris and Palmy.

I have a question for you as well. Do you still do your weekly defensive metrics? Always enjoyed reading through the analysis of those. Will always be a statistical geek lol.

pf9 wrote:
This should definitely be McCarthy's swan song. If we're lucky Bret Bielema will come back to this state and coach the Pack next year.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this doesn't really have anything to do with Finley other than if Finley said it, the angry Packer mob would be out to kill him.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121103/PKR0101/121103001?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

On missing the 32 yarder last week Mason "I donít know if the wind caught it a little bit and took it to the right" You have got to be freaking kidding me. Maybe the wind pushes the ball so that it magically falls from Finley's hands. Worst % kicker in the NFL, bring back Billy Cundiff time?

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
VoltageLeak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the coach going Matt Foley on J-Mike with the motivational speech. It's fair to say J-Mike has been passive in terms of catching the ball. In my view, he hasn't been the same player since the knee injury in the Washington game.

As far as the TO comparisons, I guess there are similarities. I think the fishbowl effect in Green Bay exaggerates it to some extent. I don't see him as the complete side show TO and Ochochinco were, and I haven't witnessed him having temper tantrums on the sidelines during games.

Last edited by VoltageLeak on Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Ok, this doesn't really have anything to do with Finley other than if Finley said it, the angry Packer mob would be out to kill him.

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121103/PKR0101/121103001?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

On missing the 32 yarder last week Mason "I donít know if the wind caught it a little bit and took it to the right" You have got to be freaking kidding me. Maybe the wind pushes the ball so that it magically falls from Finley's hands. Worst % kicker in the NFL, bring back Billy Cundiff time?

You're reaching, dude. Reaching hard. I promise that if Finley said that he thought the wind had caught Mason's kick and pulled it, no one would jump all over him. Can we just stop the whole "everyone is out to get Finley for everything he says" bullcrap? It's a coward's argument. If you can't find any real means to defend him by, don't fall back to the "old classics".

As for Mason himself, this was his first missed field goal under 50 yards. Many considered among the league's best kickers have missed more from under 50. The 50+ yarders are kind of a crapshoot. They'll start dropping in soon.

RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcerb44 wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

Great Rashaan and thanks too. Life has been wonderful, yet stressful at the same time. Finishing up my BA degree in Business Administration and leaning but not positive on going forward towards an MBA. Haven't quite decided if I want to do it right away and make that financial commitment or venture out in the work field for a year or so and then get it.

Been quite a while since I've been on here posting. Have lurked here at times but only when I had the free-time to do so and hasn't been much between school and work full-time along with the woman; who actually may end up being "the one". Regardless, I feel blessed at what the future holds.

How about yourself? I believe you were at Rutgers...or was that DannyB? For some reason can't put my finger on it.

Is awesome to see all the new "faces" around here though. Been reading through quite a few of the threads. Lots of new ideals and opinions to interject in Packer Nation. Another plus to see you and some of the older posters still around too such as DannyB, Pina, Polaris and Palmy.

I have a question for you as well. Do you still do your weekly defensive metrics? Always enjoyed reading through the analysis of those. Will always be a statistical geek lol.

I was the Rutgers one. DannyB's up in Boston if I'm not mistaken. Mortgage banking right now, but looking to move out of Jersey and get out of the industry pretty soon if I can find another job. I'm looking to get into a city (NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, or Seattle). Gonna go for an MBA in the next couple years, so maybe we'll cross paths if you decide it.

I've been posting a lot less as well, which includes defensive metrics. I did something for the first four weeks of the season, but it became too time-consuming. Would still love to do something like that, but just don't have the time right now to do it.

As for Jermichael Finley, I agree with you. Not sure if it's the physical or the mental impact of the knee injury, but he hasn't been nearly the same player after he returned. Pre-injury, he was such a special talent and would have made our offense unstoppable even without our Nelson and Jennings. Heard McCarthy showed Finley film from the Wildcard game. Not sure what it will take, but hopefully it's the little things like that that get his confidence going back in the right direction. If it's more a physical problem then of course that's going to help. My guess is that it's a little bit of both.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18

Jump to: