Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vindicatedxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I bet my friend that the Texans would have a top 3 defense by week 8. even with the loss of Mario, your team did it and I won $20. Smile Goodluck rest of the season. Cool .
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:
I bet my friend that the Texans would have a top 3 defense by week 8. even with the loss of Mario, your team did it and I won $20. Smile Goodluck rest of the season. Cool .

Easy $20, if that is what your friend was basing it off of. Mario Williams wasn't even a big part of last years' run, he only played 5 games and was somewhat sporadic in those games (he had five sacks, but four of those five came against Kerry Collins and Indy and Ben Roethlensberger and that horrid Steelers OL).

Good luck to your team as well! Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Vindicatedxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Vindicatedxx wrote:

Easy $20, if that is what your friend was basing it off of. Mario Williams wasn't even a big part of last years' run, he only played 5 games and was somewhat sporadic in those games (he had five sacks, but four of those five came against Kerry Collins and Indy and Ben Roethlensberger and that horrid Steelers OL).

Good luck to your team as well! Very Happy

Well i was worried when Cushing went out and they got murdered by GB. The defense went way down. Luckily they built back up.

ps. The Eagles don't need luck....they need a baptism........we suck.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

Vindicatedxx wrote:

Good deal. Rick Smith took the same bet and won $100 million worth of flexibility over the next 6 years vs. the albatross the Bills have. I actually fully expected Mario to come out strong this year and that we'd have to hear plenty of "what if" stuff from the media and uniformed fans, and that it would be years 3-6 when all the injury excuses, finger pointing at coaches and teammates, and general lack of productivity would start catching up with him like it did here. The simple fact is that Mario has been riding on a reputation largely earned by misinformed repetition of the "Mario is a beast" talk when breaking down his actual game by game performance yields scant evidence of his ability to dominate anyone but the lowest end offensive linemen. He relies on the same physical advantages he came into the league with, yet hasn't put in the work to actually learn and refine technique or strategy and is easily neutralized by OC's and O-Lineman, especially when those physical gifts are diminished by all of these ticky tack injuries that are largely a result of him not putting in the offseason work to keep his body in peak condition. The Houston press enabled him for years by making excuses on his behalf and you can see his lack of personal accountability on display in all of its glory this year as he points the finger everywhere but where it belongs, but in this case he has $50 million guaranteed target on his back.

- JJ Watt has impacted more games before the bye week this year than Mario did in 6 years and we don't need to go search for some amorphous ancillary benefit like "had to gameplan for him" or "created double teams", he actually provides impact himself. Outside of that easy example, I can more quickly bring to mind impact game changing plays by Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Antonio Smith, Johnathan Joseph, Brooks Reed, Glover Quin, Daniel Manning, and even Kareem Jackson than I can of Mario Williams in 6 years here where he may have tallied 53 sacks, but most of the situations were exactly like this year where he gets a couple sacks against an pathetic o-line like Arizona or rookie QB like Weeden. You don't pay a player $100 million to be able to beat the Browns and Cardinals unless selling #94 Bills jerseys qualifies as success instead of winning divisions and playoff games as is finally the standard here.

As someone who spent roughly $10k in season tickets over 6 years that helped pay Mario Williams salary here, I couldn't be happier that his mediocre work ethic and lack of personal accountability is now funded by the good people of Buffalo. As a lifelong baseball Cardinal fan, I went thru a similar situation with Albert Pujols this past offseason with the obvious exceptions that he actually produced at an MVP-level and delivered championships, but even with that, you can't let sentiment cloud the financial reality of a team sport where handing a disproportionate amount of your payroll to one person over a long-term will impede your ability to field a balanced team that can win. We'll do the same this year when our best pitcher (Lohse) is allowed to walk, but just like we had 3 players capable of replacing Pujols production at 1b, we have 3 pitchers who will step into his spot in the rotation.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: