Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars trade WR Mike Thomas to the Lions for 5th round pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas hasn't amounted to much of anything in the NFL. I wonder if playing with a better QB in Detroit will help better his career.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
Even if we give you the fact that he hasn't been hot b/c of QB play- you are saying that he quit on the team and that is OK b/c that team sucks.

You seriously think that going to THE DETROIT LIONS is going to help with this attitude? Gimme a break. You can't homer out of this one.

No need to homer out of it. Detroit is easily better team. He will have studs around d him on offense he has never had.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Puzzling move... Mike Thomas sucks... a 7th would've been what I expected. I know Nate Burleson is out with injury but Mike Thomas isn't going to replace him... should've just let Titus Young step up as #2.

I remember when Jags fans thought this guy was like a young Steve Smith...

One Jags fan thought that. One. The rest of us thought he could be a good slot receiver, and he was for a while.

He was when he had decent QB. There is direct connection to lack of QB and his production.

You just love hating on Gabbert and blaming him for everything, don't you?

His first 5 games last year:
23 catches 265 yards

Extrapolated to a full season:
73 catches 848 yards

This with a Gabbert and Luke McCown that was much, much worse than Gabbert is this year.

Keep blaming Gabbert for his failures, but isn't not Gabbert's fault that he started sucking the second that he got that contract, while all the other receivers on this team are outplaying him.

I hope you realize you just agreed with Detfan.
iPwn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:

Saying it's not Gabbert's fault is the same thing as blaming Gabbert? Wut?

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
Frank-O

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
Even if we give you the fact that he hasn't been hot b/c of QB play- you are saying that he quit on the team and that is OK b/c that team sucks.

You seriously think that going to THE DETROIT LIONS is going to help with this attitude? Gimme a break. You can't homer out of this one.

No need to homer out of it. Detroit is easily better team. He will have studs around d him on offense he has never had.

A stud

Calvin Johnson.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

Saying it's not Gabbert's fault is the same thing as blaming Gabbert? Wut?

Keep blaming Gabbert for his failures, but isn't not Gabbert's fault

is what you said.

Keep blaming Gabbert for his failures, but its not Gabbert's fault

is what you meant.

Isn't not, double negative, therefore making it a positive, which means you were saying it was Gabbert's fault, which is what Detfan said.
Blink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:

A stud

Calvin Johnson.

This. Calvin is the only player on offense who has been good for over a year, and he's not even playing like the real stud CJ. Stafford is struggling, not sure why he's being talked about like he's Brady and turns nobodies into stars.

I don't like the trade. Losing a 2014 5th isn't a huge deal(although I really wonder why you wouldn't just sign a street FA or promote a PS squad guy, no picks given up and cheapest contracts possible) but even paying a prorated amount is way too much for a 4th WR who hasn't been even a decent WR lately and even worse than your current returner.

I can clearly see reasons why I wouldn't do this(5th rounder, money, and most likely minimal impact) and really no reasons for it. Seems like a bit of a panic button move to me.
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
Frank-O wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:

A stud

Calvin Johnson.

This. Calvin is the only player on offense who has been good for over a year, and he's not even playing like the real stud CJ. Stafford is struggling, not sure why he's being talked about like he's Brady and turns nobodies into stars.

I don't like the trade. Losing a 2014 5th isn't a huge deal(although I really wonder why you wouldn't just sign a street FA or promote a PS squad guy, no picks given up and cheapest contracts possible) but even paying a prorated amount is way too much for a 4th WR who hasn't been even a decent WR lately and even worse than your current returner.

I can clearly see reasons why I wouldn't do this(5th rounder, money, and most likely minimal impact) and really no reasons for it. Seems like a bit of a panic button move to me.

He's still playing decently.
Hardly struggling.
No one worth promoting to promote. Not really any street FA worth bothering with.
Not even close to worse than Logan.
Blink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Does decent = studly to you? It sure doesn't to me.

2. We again must have differ definitions, because if Matt Stafford is not struggling then last year was an apparition which he will never again come close to.

3. You're saying no one was worth promoting, so the better option is to trade a 5th for a guy no one considers worth trading for. Awesome.

4. Statiscally, yes he is worse. He's not a KR at all, and plain awful at punts, but he's clearly better than Logan I guess.
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
3. You're saying no one was worth promoting, so the better option is to trade a 5th for a guy no one considers worth trading for. Awesome.

This part is false. Reportedly 3 other teams were in on him. Must be worth something.

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
iPwn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DetroitSpirit wrote:
I posted this earlier. I guess I'll post it again.

Thomas is 38th in the league in league in punt return average (7.0), whereas Logan is 20th (9.2). And Thomas doesn't return kicks.

That's certainly at least statistically worse.

#JagsOnly
detfan782004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:

A stud

Calvin Johnson.

Stafford is the best QB he will ever have had. Garrard ceiling is Staffords floor in talent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Frank-O wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:

A stud

Calvin Johnson.

Stafford is the best QB he will ever have had. Garrard ceiling is Staffords floor in talent

Come on now...this is a little silly, don't you think?

Stafford is certainly a better QB at this point, but let's not pretend Matt is an elite QB or that Blaines is the worst ever with no hope of improvement.
LikesHAM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

Thomas is 38th in the league in league in punt return average (7.0), whereas Logan is 20th (9.2). And Thomas doesn't return kicks.

Sometimes its not all about statistics. I've manage to catch a couple Lions games in the last couple weeks and Logan literally has a fumble in each one. He had multiple fumbles against the Bears and almost lost his fumble against the Eagles when they played.

So I would guess the Lions are more than willing to have a 2 yards less per return rather than be guaranteed a fumble per game like what Logan was giving them.
iPwn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesHAM wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:

Sometimes its not all about statistics. I've manage to catch a couple Lions games in the last couple weeks and Logan literally has a fumble in each one. He had multiple fumbles against the Bears and almost lost his fumble against the Eagles when they played.

So I would guess the Lions are more than willing to have a 2 yards less per return rather than be guaranteed a fumble per game like what Logan was giving them.
He has three fumbles this year and has lost 1. That's hardly a fumble every game.

#JagsOnly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: