Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Appreciation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Defensive Appreciation Reply with quote

The defense has given up:

Seattle: 16 points
Dallas: 19 points
Chicago: 23 points (Pick 6, drives of 38 yards and 49)

Not the most explosive teams but they've done well nonetheless. Did anyone think that they'd be able to keep the team in games without Gamble and Beason? I sure as hell didn't.

They've also done a better job against the run (since Kuechly became MLB):

Marshawn Lynch - 83 yards
Dallas' combined runners - 74 yards
Forte - 70 yards

I was shocked at how they got better against Forte. In the Bears' first two possessions, he had 44 yards on 4 carries. After that, he was 11 for 26 yards.

I also have to give a shout out to the corners since Gamble left. They've done a pretty good job, even when the pass rush didn't show up against Dallas.

Not trying to find moral victories, just saying I think this unit is taking real steps forward. Norman, Kuechly and Alexander have helped a lot. With more talent at a DT and FS I think they could be extremely solid.
rjkilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like the way thomas plays and the run D is night and day since luke moved inside. the defense is playing well enough to win these games. the offense is the weak link

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the def has played well for 58 minutes but the 2 min drill playcalling is absolutely terrible. it most likely cost us the atlanta game and the chi game. yes the o has been bad and putting the d in bad positions but there can be some improvement on the def side of the ball as well
but i do agree they have been playing well esp bc of the injuries and esp bc of nakamura

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to think the ending to Atlanta significantly influenced how they are playing late game situations.

2 minute defense needs to improve
rjkilla

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the corners and safeties are questioning the calls in those last 2 mins i def see it as something easily corrected. i'm not gonna blame the players for the coach being a moron...except nak...he's def to blame for the atlanta game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of guys on Defense are playing their hearts out and have done reasonably well.

The offense has sucked, and Cam has really sucked. That pick 6 last week against Chicago, WTF was he doing, really. If he doesn't make that play and we simply turn that drive into a FG, the game is 25-13 instead of 22-20.

Just sayin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
I think a lot of guys on Defense are playing their hearts out and have done reasonably well.

The offense has sucked, and Cam has really sucked. That pick 6 last week against Chicago, WTF was he doing, really. If he doesn't make that play and we simply turn that drive into a FG, the game is 25-13 instead of 22-20.

Just sayin.

Did you watch the play? Your just a hater! Steve fell down Cam was throwing to a spot. Everything is Cam's fault I know. Not

Thanks CK
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:

Just sayin.

Did you watch the play? Your just a hater! Steve fell down Cam was throwing to a spot. Everything is Cam's fault I know. Not

Yeah that was just crappy luck for everybody, Smith fell down coming out of his break and the ball went right to Tim Jennings for a pick 6. Not Cam's fault at all.
CarolinaRoar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one taking a leadership role on this team is Charles Johnson. And it is showing. Hardy play has elevated, Alexander is growing. Charles Johnson for 2016. Hes worth the money.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:

Just sayin.

Ohh, I saw the replay real quick but I didn't look too closely at the play. If Smitty didn't fall, did it look like it would have been a perfect throw? If so, my bad. I was just really PO'ed when I was watching the highlights, and pretty much just PO'ed with this whole season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense is playing extremely well. I dont see why a lot of people want us a to draft a CB. Norman is going to be really good and we still have Chris Gamble. Let's hang onto Captain and Josh Thomas and draft a FS worth a damn, or sign one. That's the real problem, not CB.
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
Our defense is playing extremely well. I dont see why a lot of people want us a to draft a CB. Norman is going to be really good and we still have Chris Gamble. Let's hang onto Captain and Josh Thomas and draft a FS worth a damn, or sign one. That's the real problem, not CB.

Agreed. I think CB becomes a need in about 2-3 years when Gamble thinks about retirement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:

Just sayin.

nah dude, cam needs to step up.
Moody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaRoar wrote:
The only one taking a leadership role on this team is Charles Johnson. And it is showing. Hardy play has elevated, Alexander is growing. Charles Johnson for 2016. Hes worth the money.

Ehhhh I don't attribute their explosion in the last game to CJ. Hardy was pulled out of practice last week because he wasn't practicing hard enough.

Anyway, here are some great stats from PFF on pass rush efficiency, reported by a member on another board:
Quote:

So filtering out anyone who has played less than 25% of available snaps here is where our players rank amongst all 4-3 DEs in the NFL:

# 2 Charles Johnson with 6 sacks, 5 hits and 22 hurries from 196 pass rushes
# 7 Frank Alexander with 3 sacks, 2 hits and 14 hurries from 132 pass rushes
# 13 Greg Hardy with 5 sacks, 2 hits and 15 hurries from 178 pass rushes

If you remove any player who has played less than 50% of snaps (aka only looking at starters) then Greg Hardy rises to #10.

Vs the Run:

First thing that should be noted is that Hardy and CJ have flipped with CJ returning to his most successful LE position and Hardy being used primarily at RE and moved inside on obvious passing downs.

Again, PFF has Hardy ranked #2 in run stop percentage with 10.4% of the his 115 snaps against the run results in him making a tackle for a 'defensive stop'. 12 of his 14 + 3 assisted tackles being recorded as a defensive stop amongst starters

CJ is #11 with 6.5% of his 123 snaps results in him making a tackle for a 'defensive stop'. 9 of his 13 + 2 assisted tackled were considered defensive stops.

Hardy should actually have 6 sacks if not for that bogus hands to the face by CJ on the first play.

Frank Alexander is playing really well but I think Hardy is doing a lot to hold him off. I'm psyched about the potential of these three. Just think about if they added a dominant DT to go with Ron and Dwan? We'd have a good three man rotation at both DT and DE.

They've had a few games where they didn't get to the QB enough and I have to give the secondary credit in those games. They are not just a product of the pass rush. Dallas kept them off Romo, almost completely.

I wish I knew how much Kuechly is involved with calling plays, getting guys in position, adjusting to QB calls etc. It's been a drastic change since Beason left.
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
CarolinaRoar wrote:

Ehhhh I don't attribute their explosion in the last game to CJ. Hardy was pulled out of practice last week because he wasn't practicing hard enough.

Anyway, here are some great stats from PFF on pass rush efficiency, reported by a member on another board:
Quote:

So filtering out anyone who has played less than 25% of available snaps here is where our players rank amongst all 4-3 DEs in the NFL:

# 2 Charles Johnson with 6 sacks, 5 hits and 22 hurries from 196 pass rushes
# 7 Frank Alexander with 3 sacks, 2 hits and 14 hurries from 132 pass rushes
# 13 Greg Hardy with 5 sacks, 2 hits and 15 hurries from 178 pass rushes

If you remove any player who has played less than 50% of snaps (aka only looking at starters) then Greg Hardy rises to #10.

Vs the Run:

First thing that should be noted is that Hardy and CJ have flipped with CJ returning to his most successful LE position and Hardy being used primarily at RE and moved inside on obvious passing downs.

Again, PFF has Hardy ranked #2 in run stop percentage with 10.4% of the his 115 snaps against the run results in him making a tackle for a 'defensive stop'. 12 of his 14 + 3 assisted tackles being recorded as a defensive stop amongst starters

CJ is #11 with 6.5% of his 123 snaps results in him making a tackle for a 'defensive stop'. 9 of his 13 + 2 assisted tackled were considered defensive stops.

Hardy should actually have 6 sacks if not for that bogus hands to the face by CJ on the first play.

Frank Alexander is playing really well but I think Hardy is doing a lot to hold him off. I'm psyched about the potential of these three. Just think about if they added a dominant DT to go with Ron and Dwan? We'd have a good three man rotation at both DT and DE.

They've had a few games where they didn't get to the QB enough and I have to give the secondary credit in those games. They are not just a product of the pass rush. Dallas kept them off Romo, almost completely.

I wish I knew how much Kuechly is involved with calling plays, getting guys in position, adjusting to QB calls etc. It's been a drastic change since Beason left.

We are a top 10 defense right now, that makes me very happy. I am a defensive minded guy. I dont care about offense so much, we will score but our D has to be able to get off the field on 3rd down. we are #9 overall in total defense right now! Shocked I was also shocked! Go DEFENSE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: