Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Judgment Day [Week 9] GDT: Texans versus Bills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
You are just throwing out statements that aren't facts.

...and you're doing...what, exactly?

Quote:
FACT: Mario never got an offer from the Texans.

PLEASE, look over any of my posts and point out where I even HINTED at Mario getting an offer from Houston. If you do that, I'll make you Mod of this forum. So, the relevance of this is lost on me, and why you bring it up is lost on me.

Quote:
They simply could not afford him and had higher priorities.

I'm fully aware of this. Not sure if you know, but I follow the Texans. Very Happy

Quote:
This wasn't like Lebron leaving Cleveland or Pujols leaving the Cradinals. This was a mutual split. No one betrayed anyone so that is one reaosn why you shouldn't boo.

Not trying to compare it to any of those. Not trying to boo out of anything outside of the guy going for money, when he made it seem as if he was about winning titles.

Quote:
You can say what you want about the Falcons but you don't know that. You really think they would sign him after they just shelled out so much money for Ray Edwards? And after taking on Asante Samuels contract?

...after? You do realize that Samuel was traded on 4/26/2012, right? Nearly six weeks AFTER Buffalo signed Williams (3/15/2012) correct? Are you also aware that Atlanta is currently at $111,889,188 and with a current 2012 cap figure of $120.8MM, they have roughly $8MM in cap space as of 2012, with that number looking to go UP in 2013 onwards due to new TV deals kicking in, correct?

So, the money was there. Hell, even WITH Asante's deal, the money is there - nevermind that Samuel was brought in six weeks later, after Mario signed his deal.

Quote:
Also Houston had the whole year to offer Mario a deal if they wanted him. The fact is that they didn't want him back and they didn't make an offer. Him spending 3 days in Buffalo and then signing doesn't mean he didn't give Houston a chance.

This isn't about Houston. I couldn't care less about Houston. Had he tested the market, saw what some of the contenders who were vying for his services were willing to offer, I would be willing to call a spade a spade. Heck, I'm actually relieved that we DIDN'T sign Mario, we had more pressing issues with this team that needed to be handled.

This is about how a guy who was supposedly after a championship...signing with the first team to throw dollars his way, a team that hasn't been a playoff contender since 1999 - a full three years before the Texans even EXISTED, a team with ZERO Pro Bowlers in 2011, a team that has picked in the top 15 since 2006 (their lowest "earned" pick was for Willis McGahee in 2003, 23rd overall; Since then, they have picked somewhere between 3 and 12, with later picks in the 1st coming via trade). They have shown moments where they looked like they could turn it around, but those are glimmers so far to this point...whereas you have Atlanta, which DID have the money, was coming off of a 10-6 season and had been a very competent squad since Mike Smith went there.

Truth is, Mario made it all about the money and not even listening to anyone else should be evidence enough. Guy's not going to come out and say "Yeah, I did it for the money," but the evidence should be damning within itself. If you still want to defend him, be my guest.

Just don't be so blind to how it really worked out.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PLEASE, look over any of my posts and point out where I even HINTED at Mario getting an offer from Houston. If you do that, I'll make you Mod of this forum. So, the relevance of this is lost on me, and why you bring it up is lost on me.

I bring it up because of this "A guy who didn't even bother coming back to Houston to entertain a deal"... there was no deal to go back too to even consider.

Why would the falcons pay Mario when they have John Abraham and Ray Edwards? You are assuming that the Falcons had interest when in fact they showed nothing at all. And don't say well they didn't have time to give him an offer because if they had anything worthwhile they would have called up Mario's agent and set up a visit explaining how much interest they have in him and why he should hold off on signing with the Bills. That did not happen. Also you can make a case that the Bills had the makings for a contender. They shelled out loads of money to try and improve the team it's not like they were like the Bengals who never spend any money. They were clearly trying to get better. So even if the Falcons were interested it's not like he signed with a team with no potential and making no effort to get better.

You can say all you want about how oh the Falcons COULD HAVE PAID HIM. That means nothing. They showed no interest. And really signing mario would probably be a waste considering how much money they already have invested in their DEs.

Quote:
Truth is, Mario made it all about the money and not even listening to anyone else should be evidence enough. Guy's not going to come out and say "Yeah, I did it for the money," but the evidence should be damning within itself. If you still want to defend him, be my guest.

You are just assuming things. Granted I don't know a whole lot about the situation and neither does anyone else, but if we just take in the facts that we have available to us, you are just making up statements. Yes the falcons had money to spend on Mario. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THEY WERE INTERESTED. Show me an article that says they were interested. Or any other team for that matter. Until then you can just continue being bitter for absolutely no reason.

Last edited by Marco79 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what we're arguing about.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

Ha! Im with you Kenny.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:

I'm just defending my right to boo for whoever I want. Never knew Miss Manners would take such a pro-active stance against it.

Whatever, I'm done. Buffalo, 21-10.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19963387/2012/10/31/mario-williams-still-has-issues-with-the-way-he-left-the-texans

This story just got ran this morning. Mario throwing Smith under the bus, saying there was a one was door out and that he wanted to stay.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/19963387/2012/10/31/mario-williams-still-has-issues-with-the-way-he-left-the-texans

This story just got ran this morning. Mario throwing Smith under the bus, saying there was a one was door out and that he wanted to stay.

Ex-players tend to have harsh things to say about Rick Smith. It probably means he's doing his job.
buckwild

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Ex-players tend to have harsh things to say about Rick Smith. It probably means he's doing his job.

Wanted to stay as long as Houston matched the Bills offer. Have fun counting your millions Mario while you sit at home rather than playing in the playoffs.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Wanted to stay as long as Houston matched the Bills offer. Have fun counting your millions Mario while you sit at home rather than playing in the playoffs.

Rolling Eyes

If you read that story you could see that they never offered him a deal before free agency so you have no idea what he would have accepted or declined.

This bitterness towards Mario is totally unwarranted, it makes no sense.
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Rolling Eyes

If you read that story you could see that they never offered him a deal before free agency so you have no idea what he would have accepted or declined.

This is closer to correct. Before Mario's twitter blackout, he made a good point: if the Texans planned to keep him (ever, at any point), they would have begun negotiating his contract before his final season. I know it's only his side of the story, but he was fairly adamant that there was no substantial conversation between Smith and his agent.

And I don't have a problem with that. We knew what we had in Mario: a great player who wasn't great enough to be worth his open-market value.

This is what great teams do: they raise home-grown talent, pay for players who are worth it, and part ways with players who aren't. It might be what we see happen to Barwin, as well.
texansfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Rolling Eyes

This is closer to correct. Before Mario's twitter blackout, he made a good point: if the Texans planned to keep him (ever, at any point), they would have begun negotiating his contract before his final season. I know it's only his side of the story, but he was fairly adamant that there was no substantial conversation between Smith and his agent.

And I don't have a problem with that. We knew what we had in Mario: a great player who wasn't great enough to be worth his open-market value.

This is what great teams do: they raise home-grown talent, pay for players who are worth it, and part ways with players who aren't. It might be what we see happen to Barwin, as well.

Exactly. I think it was a mutual split as well. Mario says that we never made him an offer, and we probably didn't. We knew what he would command on the open market, and we wouldn't be interested in signing him to anything close to that. We had Barwin and Reed, who were better fits at OLB in the 3-4, making significantly less. So I can understand Mario's bitterness to the team, but I'm not really all that surprised we didn't make him an offer.

This should be an interesting game. I don't buy the idea that the Bills are really this terrible. I have a feeling that Mario is going to get that defensive line fired up to put together a game against us. And offensively, the Bills still have the ability to put up some points with Fitzpatrick, Spiller, Jackson and Stevie Johnson.

I think we win this game, but I am not predicting a blowout.

Prediction 24-13 Texans.
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
kenney wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
buckwild wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Exactly. I think it was a mutual split as well. Mario says that we never made him an offer, and we probably didn't. We knew what he would command on the open market, and we wouldn't be interested in signing him to anything close to that. We had Barwin and Reed, who were better fits at OLB in the 3-4, making significantly less. So I can understand Mario's bitterness to the team, but I'm not really all that surprised we didn't make him an offer.

Exactly this is what I have been saying, it's not like he betrayed us. It was a mutual split and if it wasn't Mario was clearly the one who was broken up with while the Texans were the breaker upper. This is why I don't think Mario should be booed it just doesn't make sense to me.
biggio7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think half will boo Mario and half won't. If it's me, I wouldn't. I'm not sure what kind of truths there are to the contract offers. The Texans had no money to sign him anyway. The point is moot. I'm not bitter about it cause their D showed how well they could play without him. To me, it seems like it was a mutual decision to just let him go. I mean, he probably would have stayed if they offered him something. It's just that he wasn't needed and couldn't be afforded. Mutual split. I wouldn't cheer or boo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still love Mario and wish we could have afforded to keep him but the show must go on. That said, he's giving the Texans way too much billboard material for us not to go out there and handle the Bills relentlessly.

"If I get a chance to hit Matt, I'm definitely going to," Williams said today in the Buffalo Bills' locker room. "It's going down, for sure."

Texans - 31
Bills - 13

"I don't always throw a TD pass but when i do, it's to the wrong team" - The most interesting man in Houston #8
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Bills n stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: