Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest Holes To Fill In The Offseason?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsfan25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
I'm not sold on McCourty converting to being a full-time Safety. His natural position is the CB and I'd like for us to keep him there because his potential can still be 'shutdown' type. Safeties are usually small LBs and McCourty, while adequate in run defense, is a little too finesse to be a Safety. I'd prefer for us to bring in a highly touted veteran Safety like we have in the past. Our secondary is clearly lacking a leader back there, and someone to guide the young guys. Ed Reed and Dashon Goldson are free agents, I believe.

Also, I remember we used Cannon at RG in his rookie year, and he looked really good there. I don't know why they switched him over to Tackle. He might be a little tall for an interior llineman, but Brady or Mallett shouldn't have a problem as they're 6'4"+

Here's what I think our team needs are:

1. Safety/DB
2. Versatile 3-Tech DE/4-3 DT (for both schemes)
3. Center
4. WR

no we didn't

Was he playing Tackle? The games were against the Chiefs and Redskins if I recall.

Aite,

peace.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notable free agents that I'd really like for us to go after in the order of priority.

1. Dashon Goldson
2. Randy Starks
3. Israel Idonsjofiejfsfsdfnje
4. Ed Reed
5. Aqib Talib

Aite,

peace.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
I'm not sold on McCourty converting to being a full-time Safety. His natural position is the CB and I'd like for us to keep him there because his potential can still be 'shutdown' type. Safeties are usually small LBs and McCourty, while adequate in run defense, is a little too finesse to be a Safety. I'd prefer for us to bring in a highly touted veteran Safety like we have in the past. Our secondary is clearly lacking a leader back there, and someone to guide the young guys. Ed Reed and Dashon Goldson are free agents, I believe.

Also, I remember we used Cannon at RG in his rookie year, and he looked really good there. I don't know why they switched him over to Tackle. He might be a little tall for an interior llineman, but Brady or Mallett shouldn't have a problem as they're 6'4"+

Here's what I think our team needs are:

1. Safety/DB
2. Versatile 3-Tech DE/4-3 DT (for both schemes)
3. Center
4. WR

no we didn't

Was he playing Tackle? The games were against the Chiefs and Redskins if I recall.

Yeah he definitely played tackle in those games. Its hard to tell if he is playing tackle because that's where the depth was most needed, or if that's actually his long-term position. Seems like a pretty obvious guard to me - Scar is a good coach but he can't coach someone to move better and not have t-rex arms.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed reed, aqib talib, draft justin hunter, win 10 super bowls
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
patsfan25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
ed reed, aqib talib, draft justin hunter, win 10 super bowls

I don't pay much attention to CFB. Some elite hamstrings, me thinks?

Aite,

peace.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At DT, one guy to consider is Kevin Williams. It was reported that he had two option years, but apparently that's not true. He's 32, on a somewhat rebuilding team, 6-time Pro Bowler, 5-time All Pro, and has played in 5 career playoff games with two wins. He's also turning into more of a part-time player, down to about 70% of the snaps this season. I'd be okay with Williams playing all of the subpackage snaps with Love remaining in the base defense.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
At DT, one guy to consider is Kevin Williams. It was reported that he had two option years, but apparently that's not true. He's 32, on a somewhat rebuilding team, 6-time Pro Bowler, 5-time All Pro, and has played in 5 career playoff games with two wins. He's also turning into more of a part-time player, down to about 70% of the snaps this season. I'd be okay with Williams playing all of the subpackage snaps with Love remaining in the base defense.

I don't see any way Kevin Williams doesn't get a big contract from someone to be a 3 down player. Yes, he's 32. Yes, the Vikings have reduced his playing time. But the Vikings are on the way up and they won't just let him go without making an offer. If he does leave, there will be plenty of teams interested.

I'd love it to happen, but I just don't see it as likely. Some team with a bad GM is likely to offer him a 3 year deal worth $7M+ per year.
terbo559

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to go big on a safety via draft or free agency. Our defense needs a Rodney Harrison in the secondary.
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I don't see any way Kevin Williams doesn't get a big contract from someone to be a 3 down player. Yes, he's 32. Yes, the Vikings have reduced his playing time. But the Vikings are on the way up and they won't just let him go without making an offer. If he does leave, there will be plenty of teams interested.

I'd love it to happen, but I just don't see it as likely. Some team with a bad GM is likely to offer him a 3 year deal worth $7M+ per year.
He'll definitely have other options. I could be completely wrong, but he's had so much individual success and so little team success that I think he'd at least consider taking a lesser offer if it meant he'd have a chance to win. And there aren't really many good teams that are in a position to offer an aging 4-3 DT a good contract. If he's willing to take a discount, then the Pats make a lot of sense. If not, then oh well.
redsoxsrule1437

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
We need to go big on a safety via draft or free agency. Our defense needs a Rodney Harrison in the secondary.

Players like Rodney Harrison aren't easy to come by.

I do agree that safety is a huge need, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
1. Penetrating, 3-tech defensive tackle
2. #1 cornerback who can play in man coverage
3. Right tackle if Vollmer leaves
4. Edge rusher opposite Jones
5. Wideout
6. Reliable cover safety

There aren't 10.

This is on the money.
trivium2009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see us go out and get Dashon Goldston most of all. He reminds me some what of a more athletic Rodney Harrison. Dwayne Bowe, but only if Welker can't come to an agreement. IDK if McCluster is a FA or not but I'd like to see us go after him. He is a versatile player who could not only give us more and better depth at WR but could push Woodhead for the third down RB spot. Then in the draft I would like to see something like this...
1st round- Corner
2nd round- WR
3rd round- G/C
4th round- C/G
On a side note I would like to see how our line would fair with Connolly at Center and Cannon at RG? I think Cannon would be a better G then Tackle. Also I feel after the first round we need to draft offense more than defense because outside of us getting a solid if not better corner our D looks fine just need to get a better secondary and with Dashon at SS, McCourty at SS, recently acquired Talib at CB1 and round 1 cornerback at CB2 we could have a pretty good secondary unit to go along with our strong front 7
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Resign/franchise Welker/Vollmer
2. Ed Reed/cover safety
3. DT that is a legit starter, next to Wilfork. (As opposed to good rotational guy like Love truly is).
4. Interior line depth. Scarnecchia is a freaking genius who makes diamonds out of dirt, but our interior line depth is scary thin. I still am of the opinion that our season is going to end in disappointment because of our OL getting Brady killed - not our defense.

The problem is that when you rush 4 guys every down, you HAVE to get pressure. We need a DT that can collapse the pocket so Nink/Chandler don't just fly right by the QB when he steps up. Wilfork gets doubled and Love does nothing to help.

On the flip side, we need a cover safety.

I actually am not particularly concerned about our corners next year. McCourty gets way too much flak, Dennard has looked pretty good, Arrington gets too much flak (though I agree he isn't a super stud by any means), and Dowling hopefully will get it together. If we resign Talib, we should be fine on paper.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, assuming the roster remains intact as far as key players go through to next season, the list is pretty clear: Some combination of OT, DT, DE and S has to be taken in the draft if they aren't addressed in free agency, with WR and CB right after those positions. Preferably a wide-body, pass rushing 3 technique, another long defensive end and a rangy safety in whatever order in those first three picks. Tony Jefferson is a guy I hope they can come away from the draft with as a Chung replacement.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very surprised if we brought in a new DE. Nink isn't amazing, but he is affordable, and is (usually) not a liability and carries his weight. I think if we get a real starting calibre DT next to Wilfork, our DL will be more than set. If we had gotten Red or Fanene had panned out, this wouldn't be an issue.

Why OT? If Vollmer is resigned, we have two franchise tackles. Some depth would be nice but I wouldn't qualify it as one of the top concerns.

I'm really unsure what we can do for safety. There's a dearth of talent across the league. I think our best best is just keep signing middle of the pack guys and hoping our pass rush/CB play improves.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: