Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest Holes To Fill In The Offseason?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trivium2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Biggest Holes To Fill In The Offseason? Reply with quote

Ok we are now half way through the 2012-2013 season. What are some of our biggest weaknesses on our team and who could we realistically get to try to help fill those holes be it via free agency or draft?
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SECONDARY

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Times Tom Brady has actively ignored throwing to Number 80:
trivium2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should specify what I mean. Make a list from 1 to ten of the top needs.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Receiver
2. Secondary
3. Tackle

Welker, Edelman, and Branch are all free agents, leaving only Lloyd as a legitimate WR.

McCourty, Wilson, Gregory, and Ebner isn't a terrible group of safeties, but that leaves Dennard, Dowling, and Moore (ERFA) as the only returning corners.

Vollmer is the best right tackle in the NFL right now, but is a free agent. I'm a little more optimistic than most, but I still don't want to rely on Cannon there for next year.

After those top 3 needs, I'm not so sure. Then it becomes a matter of looking at upgradeable vets or future needs.

Last edited by Sciz on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Penetrating, 3-tech defensive tackle
2. #1 cornerback who can play in man coverage
3. Right tackle if Vollmer leaves
4. Edge rusher opposite Jones
5. Wideout
6. Reliable cover safety

There aren't 10.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
trivium2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are some guys who could possibly be brought in via FA or draft to fill the spots as well?
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are any, I'd hope the team would try and get a decent safety, unless they permanently want to keep McCourty there at FS and hope Chung doesn't suck so bad at SS anymore.

Interior OLine was one at the beginning of the season, but I like the job McDonald and Thomas have done when Mankins and Connolly aren't there, and Wendell has done admirably at C.

Other than safety, I still think pass rush is a main concern. If we get better coaching, and the secondary finds some leadership, they might do a tad better in zone coverage, but the thing is, we can't allow QBs to stand in the pocket all day against the zone, and zone blitzes are going to be only so helpful in the long run. If we can get someone opposite of CJ to press the edge on the line, the pass rush should be good (wouldn't hurt to try and find a pass rushing force at DT either, but with Wilfork and Love, I'd save that for 4th-7th rounds and a low FA signing).

I don't like the idea of signing or drafting high another CB, with McCourty, Dennard, and Dowling on the roster. If Dowling's cut (hopefully not, and this is me saying that only if he can get healthy), then yes, a 2nd round CB would do nicely, but I'd focus more on the pass rush than anything else.

Anybody got a list of FA WRs? Because I'd say draft one, but the recent success has me a tad worried about the coaching staff's ability to get drafted WRs to really achieve their potential.

EDIT: Oh, so we're making a list? OK.

1a. Pass Rusher opposite CJ
1b. Corner/Safety (depending on Dowling's health)
3. Pass Rushing DT
4. WR
5. RT if Vollmer doesn't stay
trivium2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTPatsFan wrote:
If there are any, I'd hope the team would try and get a decent safety, unless they permanently want to keep McCourty there at FS and hope Chung doesn't suck so bad at SS anymore.

Interior OLine was one at the beginning of the season, but I like the job McDonald and Thomas have done when Mankins and Connolly aren't there, and Wendell has done admirably at C.

Other than safety, I still think pass rush is a main concern. If we get better coaching, and the secondary finds some leadership, they might do a tad better in zone coverage, but the thing is, we can't allow QBs to stand in the pocket all day against the zone, and zone blitzes are going to be only so helpful in the long run. If we can get someone opposite of CJ to press the edge on the line, the pass rush should be good (wouldn't hurt to try and find a pass rushing force at DT either, but with Wilfork and Love, I'd save that for 4th-7th rounds and a low FA signing).

I don't like the idea of signing or drafting high another CB, with McCourty, Dennard, and Dowling on the roster. If Dowling's cut (hopefully not, and this is me saying that only if he can get healthy), then yes, a 2nd round CB would do nicely, but I'd focus more on the pass rush than anything else.

Anybody got a list of FA WRs? Because I'd say draft one, but the recent success has me a tad worried about the coaching staff's ability to get drafted WRs to really achieve their potential.

EDIT: Oh, so we're making a list? OK.

1a. Pass Rusher opposite CJ
1b. Corner/Safety (depending on Dowling's health)
3. Pass Rushing DT
4. WR
5. RT if Vollmer doesn't stay

From what I am seeing as of right now there are only four WRs from the free agent crop I'd like to see use at least attempt to sign.
Resign- Welker
Go after - Greg Jennings 29, Dwayne Bowe 28, and Danny Almandola 25/26
Jennings when health is a great route runner and if can be brought in at a reasonable price could be worth it. Bowe is a great WR on a bad passing team, Bowe on our team spells Super Bowl, but more of a dream than reality. Danny if was able to walk from the Rams would be the most likely to sign. Great route runner with great hands (Welker clone) and would come at a better price then the rest. Welker, he has earned and shown that he is a key component to our offense, but if we aren't able to come to terms with a reasonable contract he is either going to walk or be franchised then traded.
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trivium2009 wrote:
From what I am seeing as of right now there are only four WRs from the free agent crop I'd like to see use at least attempt to sign.
Resign- Welker
Jennings when health is a great route runner and if can be brought in at a reasonable price could be worth it. Bowe is a great WR on a bad passing team, Bowe on our team spells Super Bowl, but more of a dream than reality. Danny if was able to walk from the Rams would be the most likely to sign. Great route runner with great hands (Welker clone) and would come at a better price then the rest. Welker, he has earned and shown that he is a key component to our offense, but if we aren't able to come to terms with a reasonable contract he is either going to walk or be franchised then traded.

Jennings and Bowe will cost us too much. And I really doubt the Rams will let Amendola walk.

Though the thought intrigues and excites me, if our top 3 WRs were Jennings/Bowe, Lloyd, and Welker, with Gronk and Herndo at TE and The Triumvirate at RB, the offense would be unstoppable.

I'd like Jennings more than Bowe, but I doubt we get either.
trivium2009

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTPatsFan wrote:
trivium2009 wrote:
Resign- Welker

Jennings and Bowe will cost us too much. And I really doubt the Rams will let Amendola walk.

Though the thought intrigues and excites me, if our top 3 WRs were Jennings/Bowe, Lloyd, and Welker, with Gronk and Herndo at TE and The Triumvirate at RB, the offense would be unstoppable.

I'd like Jennings more than Bowe, but I doubt we get either.

Jennings is a good chance because Packers don't have enough cap to keep him Rodgers, Mathews, and Raji around so he is the most like to be the odd man out. Bowe is more likely to get tagged then traded but even then id at least see what it would cost to obtain him? Almendola would be a good signing but like you said I doubt the Rams let him walk.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trivium2009 wrote:
Who are some guys who could possibly be brought in via FA or draft to fill the spots as well?

Israel Idonije could be an interesting pickup. The Bears are unloading the Brinks truck for Henry Melton this offseason, and have a wealth of talent that makes Idonije expendable. He's a good interior rusher and can play DE on early downs. Strong against the run. Good fit for this team imo.

NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin hunter, ed reed
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
patsfan25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sold on McCourty converting to being a full-time Safety. His natural position is the CB and I'd like for us to keep him there because his potential can still be 'shutdown' type. Safeties are usually small LBs and McCourty, while adequate in run defense, is a little too finesse to be a Safety. I'd prefer for us to bring in a highly touted veteran Safety like we have in the past. Our secondary is clearly lacking a leader back there, and someone to guide the young guys. Ed Reed and Dashon Goldson are free agents, I believe.

Also, I remember we used Cannon at RG in his rookie year, and he looked really good there. I don't know why they switched him over to Tackle. He might be a little tall for an interior llineman, but Brady or Mallett shouldn't have a problem as they're 6'4"+

Here's what I think our team needs are:

1. Safety/DB
2. Versatile 3-Tech DE/4-3 DT (for both schemes)
3. Center
4. WR
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:
INTs:
Pick 6s:
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) A safety, so McCourty can move back to corner.
2) An average starting CB (dennard has potential, but in this league you need three good CBs).
3) A number 2 DT
4) WR (assuming Welker leaves)
5) A backup NT
6) A backup Tackle (assuming Vollmer stays, if he leaves RT is much higher on the list)
7) could use a good coverage linebacker
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
I'm not sold on McCourty converting to being a full-time Safety. His natural position is the CB and I'd like for us to keep him there because his potential can still be 'shutdown' type. Safeties are usually small LBs and McCourty, while adequate in run defense, is a little too finesse to be a Safety. I'd prefer for us to bring in a highly touted veteran Safety like we have in the past. Our secondary is clearly lacking a leader back there, and someone to guide the young guys. Ed Reed and Dashon Goldson are free agents, I believe.

Also, I remember we used Cannon at RG in his rookie year, and he looked really good there. I don't know why they switched him over to Tackle. He might be a little tall for an interior llineman, but Brady or Mallett shouldn't have a problem as they're 6'4"+

Here's what I think our team needs are:

1. Safety/DB
2. Versatile 3-Tech DE/4-3 DT (for both schemes)
3. Center
4. WR

no we didn't

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: