Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bulldog's Midseason Report Card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Bulldog's Midseason Report Card Reply with quote

I've decided to do a midseason report card for each position group.

I'll start with offense.

QB--- C+

Brandon Weeden- Week one, this guy brought the suck. But he has not been that guy since. This is a QB we have here, and he's starting to look good. in the last seven games, Weeden's stats look like this

QBR- 80.5
Yards- 1794
Att- 264
Comp- 153
%- 57.9
TD- 9
INT- 6

Over that last four games, he's looked like this
QBR- 83.9
yards- 915
Att- 132
Comp- 75
%- 56.8
TD- 6
INT- 3

Wide Receivers--- C-

-This group has shown flashes of brilliance, then flashes of suck. Injuries and drops of plagued this group in a large way. According to PFF, the WR's have accounted for 15 of the Browns 30(!) total drops. We've seen progress from guys like Josh Cooper, Gordon Formerly known has Hash, and Travis Benjamin. Injuries have hurt MoMass, Norwood, and Benji. and it seems Little is in a bit of a sophomore slump and hasn't improved in the drop area, accounting for 6 of the WR drops. This group could use the consistency of MoMass back, a guy that was Weeden early favorite target, and also the bye week to get fully healthy.

Tight Ends--- D

-Cameron, while showing flashes of being a very good receiving threat, still struggles to block well. Watson has not played like his 2010 self and its obvious the concussions took a toll on him. Alex Smith is a above average third TE. As a whole, this group as dropped 6 passes, while producing only 35 receptions and one TD. This group has been very underwhelming as both receivers and blockers.

Running Backs--- B-

-Potential. Thats what this group is all about. Much like the rest of the offense, this group is very young. Trent Richardson has suffered through pain to produce his best game of the year. He's clearly displayed his physical talents to be a premier back in this league, but has struggled to adjust to the speed of the NFL. He has produced 18 missed tackles, 7th in the league. While rushing 127 times, 9th most. Ogbonnaya has been a pleasant surprise since joining the team mid season last year. Great third down back and serviceable runner. Hardesty has shown some good inside running ability, but has discovered butterfingers since the preseason. This group has average 3.76 YPC thus far. Not a great number, but we know there's reason for that as well. The RB's have also accounted for 5 drops.

-I've excluded Marecic from the grade for RB's. He's been nothing but suck. He's been targeted four times. Dropped the ball four times. He's an OK blocker, problem is he's doesn't ever block the right guy, or anyone at all.

Offensive Line--- B+

-This has been the shining star for the offense. Pass blocking has been nothing short of spectacular the last several weeks. Run blocking is steadily improving. This group is still learning to play together. Schwartz has progressed as much as Weeden has since week one. Lauvao has shown glimpses of being a legit RG, especially as Schwartz improves. Mack and Thomas are probowlers and are examples of what their positions are supposed to be. Pinkston suffered a scare with an injury, but was largely ineffective as a blocker. Greco has stepped in and has done more than anyone would have expected.

Now onto the defense.

Defensive Line--- C-

-The DE position is a mess. Sheard has been invisible this season as a pass rusher. He has been better against the run, but nothing to brag about. Rucker has been underwhelming for the contract he signed. I love Parker's intensity, but he shows his age at times. He should never play more than 15 snaps a game. Stephens shows signs of progressing as a rotation pass rusher, but thats about all he is. Sanford is a PS guy on the active roster, and he played like it this past week.

-The DT position was shaping up to be a huge position of strength. Injuries have killed this position. While the three rookies have done an admirable job, it's been nothing great. Hughes has been as advertised, as good run defender, poor pass rusher. Winn has shown great athleticism, but runs himself right out of plays a lot, allowing holes for RB's. Kitchen has played like a guy we picked up off the waiver wire. Rubin is a cornerstone for this defense and has been sorely missed the past few weeks. He's a great run defender, and underrated, but not great pass rusher. Getting Phil Taylor back, along with Rubin, would be a huge, huge boost to this position. And will have a ripple effect on the rest of the defense.

Linebackers--- C

-Oh, the injuries! From Gocong, to Fujita, to JMJ. A thin position to start the season took hit after hit with injuries. Robertson turned out to be a pleasant surprise the first few weeks, but has been downhill ever since. LJ Fort is worth developing, but obviously is not ready, evident by the poor performance against the NYG. JMJ is playing as advertised. A downhill run plugger. He's getting better. Maiva, he's just a guy. DQ is suffering from 2 rookie DT's in front of him and a ton of inexperience beside him. As a whole, this group needs to play better against the run, but it wont happen until the DL plays better against the run.

Cornerbacks---B-

-What hasn't happen to this group? Injuries to Sheldon Brown and Dimitri Patterson and a 4-game suspension to our best defensive player Joe Haden. Brown is playing so much better than people give him credit for. Joe Haden is a top 5 CB in the NFL. Patterson is a fantastic Slot CB, but average at best on the outside. He will be a welcome addition back from injury. Skrine has shown he's not ready for major playing time, but has shown sign the last few games of making progress. Wade shouldn't ever be on the field yet. He's not ready. Hopefully after the bye, this group can get healthy and get back to form.

Safety--- B-

-A b- would seem like a lofty grade for this group, but its for the outstanding play of T.J. Ward. He's has been great this year. He's been slightly above average as a pass defender, allowing just 9 receptions out of 19 targets. He's only deflected one pass, with one TD allowed and no INT, however. Its against the run and blitz that he's been great. He's had one sack, two QB hits, and one Qb pressure. He has 18 stops, most in the NFL among safeties.

-Now, the rest of the group. Not so good. Usama Young is all over the place. Makes a good play, then a bad one. He'd be a very good 3rd safety, but he's way to inconsistent to be a starter. Ventrone and Gibson are special teamers and Hagg is a back of suck.

--Lets not forget the Special Teams

Phil Dawson--- A++++++

Reggie Hodges--- D

Josh Cribbs--- B+

Punt coverage--- A (would be A+ had in not been for the CIN game)

Kickoff coverage--- A

Return team/coaching---- D- (Tober sucks)

-There you have it. A quick breakdown of how I think this team has performed thus far. It should be noted, some of these grades would be slightly higher bases on just the last 3 games. It should be promising heading into the second half of the season.

GO BROWNS!!
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems close to me. I think I would give LB's a D.

We badly need TE production for this offense to make the next step.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Seems close to me. I think I would give LB's a D.

We badly need TE production for this offense to make the next step.

Hard to fairly grade the LB's given the state of the DL.

and the LB's were great the first 2-3 weeks.
cattleman78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd give the receivers a C+ because they have actually been open for some bombs. Cattleman likes to see pretty bombs.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda bummed. I thought this would generate more discussion than it has....
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I'd give our TEs an F. We haven't got squat from them except Cameron on a few plays.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Not gonna lie, I'm kinda bummed. I thought this would generate more discussion than it has....

I did to. Oh well I did comment earlier. I think you did an interesting appraisal. Good post. Hope the Cattleman makes your day a little sunnier.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the rankings except for these ones...

Offensive line B-
Linebackers, with who is playing our OLB spots i give the group a C+
Josh Cribbs a D+
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a fair assessment, with the exception of the QB and the defensive secondary.

I think Weeden gets a B-, and the secondary gets C-.

Other than the anomaly, Weeden's play has been quite good. With a little Stick-Um for the receivers, he would be a top-10 QB.

The secondary has been up and down, and I have seen too many plays with busted coverage and missed tackles.

Your highest marks go to the OL, and I'd have to agree. Remarkable difference from last year's squad, with only one new face. Very impressive to see them gel so fast.
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
Your highest marks go to the OL, and I'd have to agree. Remarkable difference from last year's squad, with only one new face. Very impressive to see them gel so fast.

They will be tested thoroughly over the next few weeks, and I'm very interested in how they fare. The Ravens have Suggs back, and their pass rush is much different (better) with Suggs. Then we play Dallas and Pittsburgh.

Is the O-line for real? We're gonna find out soon.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

Nothing to discuss really.

Very solid assessment that most folks seem to agree with.

Good thread.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
candyman93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment on the secondary

TJ Ward has stepped up his game this year. He has definitely improved his pass coverage. If he can be okay defending the pass but excel at everything else, I'm happy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
A comment on the secondary

TJ Ward has stepped up his game this year. He has definitely improved his pass coverage. If he can be okay defending the pass but excel at everything else, I'm happy.

I'd argue that he's been the defensive MVP for us thus far. Very impressed with his aggressiveness, and without penalties.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been impressed with Weeden. I would probably score him slightly higher and fully expect him to be great next year. In a few weeks if MoMass can play, he might be better..... Dwayne Bowe would probably help him find amazing stats. Idea

I love the work some of the young guys are putting in.

One of the DTs (not sure if it was Winn or Hughes was drawing a lot of double teams against San Diego). We clearly need another end, Sheard needs to work on technique... something is up, probably that film on him now.

LB was where I thought we would be the weakest on defense and it has been the case, but considering injuries they've done well enough. I'm happy to see the young guys step up and make plays. We'll clearly have depth next year. If Gocong can come back and plays well after the injury, we pick up someone or draft someone, I think the LBs will make serious strides.

The DBs have played well considering what they've been through. Ward has stepped up this season. Remember he has a broken wrist or hand... a FS would be nice though. Haden returning clearly made a difference, Skrine needs to man up next year or we need to find a number 2.

I really don't think much needs to be done with the OL. Maybe a depth signing, I know everyone wants to see someone take Cousins spot. I don't want to see him on the field anyway.

TE has been the biggest disappointment. I was really hoping Cameron Jordan would be the guy. It hasn't happened. Watson is probably going to move on and Alex Smith seems to be a better Fullback Rolling Eyes I would be cool with a sort of high pick here (2nd if we get an extra or 3rd round) A lot of the better teams have 2 solid TE targets. Cameron will be able to create more mismatches... I haven't paid much attention to the college game this year, anyone worth a pick? There always seems to be a couple of decent free agent TEs floating around each year if not.

I don't like seeing Ventrone on the field giving someone rest (he's bad). May have been bad calls, but he has committed to many mistakes on STs (considering he's around because he's an ace). Bademosi (sweet name) has played great though. If I'm not mistaken he has serious speed and played safety and corner. I have a feeling he'll take Ventrones spot next year and will be a Mike Adams type of player moving forward (great depth at safety).
bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave disappointed...

Come home to this.

Thats more like it.

Though, I'm sure if would have said something about DQ at MLB vs WLB, this thread could have gone on for pages between myself and DS Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: