Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

McDermott: "What else can we do?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaX 07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: McDermott: "What else can we do?" Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000087745/article/sean-mcdermott-what-else-can-panthers-defense-do

This article makes me want to punch McDermott in the head.

"What else can we do?"

For starters you could not play pillow soft Defense during the 2 minute drill you idiot.

When this coaching staff gets fired, i'm going to celebrate heavily.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a similar article posted on the Observer. It's attitudes like that where you lose the fan base and your team. I was not a big fan of McDermott to begin with, this puts the icing on the cake.

Maybe the offense is the problem, so maybe the defense should start pitching shutouts. Then his statement can be true, what else can the defense do to win games.

We scored 20 points against a defense averaging around 13 points a game. I think that's pretty well. Defense played soft in the last 2 minutes and cost us the game, that's what else you can do, you can play aggressive and close out the game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I saw a similar article posted on the Observer. It's attitudes like that where you lose the fan base and your team. I was not a big fan of McDermott to begin with, this puts the icing on the cake.
Yeah, I was more than willing to give you a shot (I think more than most). There's got to be a legitimate evaluation period for coaches and players. But, I'm pretty much done with him. Not been impressed with any late-game performances whatsoever. Too bad, too, because our defense really has been playing much better over the last few weeks. Played great for ~ 58 minutes against the Bears. Then the coaching staff did them in.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...let's clean house.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about stop someone when it matters when the game is on the line

Thanks CK
faccda01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the D would be a top 10 with someone else coaching it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no different than the Fox era. If memory serves (I was really sick and about half way through really depressed) in the Arizona playoff game, the corners gave Warner anything he wanted in the 4-6 yard range, so he took it.

Turns out it was a dude.
Moody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he means at the end of the drive. I think he means looking at the game as a whole, they gave up TD drives of 49 and 38 yards and the Bears missed a FG, I can't remember how long that drive was.

It probably had to do with Dwan Edwards leaving and the pass rush cooling down. The worst way to handle that is to play your corners soft.

As of now, both sides of the ball are good enough to keep us in games but not good enough to win. The defense can play inspired ball all game and then they give up points when they can't.
subparg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very seldom post anything on here and haven't posted at all in about 3 years. But I enjoy reading what you all have to say and spend time on the site at least 4-5 days a week and felt compelled to weigh in on this topic.

First of all, I think McDermott's decision to say this publicly is the latest example of the disfunctionality of this team. They are a train wreck that is gut-wrenching to watch. However, I don't disagree with his argument. This is very statistical and I know there is more to a story than the numbers (e.g. the coverage in the final minutes against Chi). But numbers to tell a lot about the entire body of the defense's work.

Last season, McDermott took over a very bad defensive unit with little time to prepare or install his system. This became more challenging due to injuries over the course of the year. This year the only personnel "upgrades" he got were two rookies (Kuechly & Norman), three players recovering from season ending injuries (Beason, Davis, Edwards) Dwan Edwards (legitimate upgrade) and Nakamura (I use the term "upgrade" very loosely here). Below are the defensive rankings on a per game basis for the past two seasons:

2011 2012
Yards/Game 28th 15th
Pass yds/gm 24th 15th
Rush yds/gm 25th 20th
Points/Game 27th 17th
Takeaways 17th 19th

Last season, Carolina averaged 32 minutes TOP per game vs 29 minutes so far in 2012. So McDermott has managed to take a unit from bottom of the barrel in nearly every category to middle of the pack while asking the unit to spend 3 more minutes per game on the field.

My point is not that they are anywhere close to a top 10 unit, but no one could be expected to take what they have on Defense and make them a top 10 unit while losing the TOP battle. They aren't playing championship defense but they are playing well enough to win games.

So far in 2012 the average points per game scored by an NFL team is 22.2 points. From this you could reason that as an offense if you score 23 points you have done your part and as a defense if you allow 22 or less you have done your part to helping your team win the game on average. Through 7 games, the defense has allowed 16 points 3 times (I'm taking out the Pick 6 against Chi) and 19 in another. In a fifth game (NO), they allowed 27 points but contributed 7 of the necessary 23 the offense needed to do their part, so you could say they did there part in that game as well if you wanted to get technical.

In the Seattle game in particular, the defense was responsible for 9 of the 12 points Carolina scored. That means that if Cam Newton and Company weren't allowed to step on the field for a single play, the defense would have still managed to only lose the game 16-9. That's a pretty impressive effort and one good enough to win the game.

The defense is making improvements and I would argue that it has little to do with improvements in personnel. With an above average offense, the defense would have put the team in a position to be 4-3 or 5-2 at this point. We'd all like to see it better, but the defense is not the reason this team is 1-6.

Sorry for the long post but with one post every 3 years I have to make them count.
Cypher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subparg wrote:
I very seldom post anything on here and haven't posted at all in about 3 years. But I enjoy reading what you all have to say and spend time on the site at least 4-5 days a week and felt compelled to weigh in on this topic.

First of all, I think McDermott's decision to say this publicly is the latest example of the disfunctionality of this team. They are a train wreck that is gut-wrenching to watch. However, I don't disagree with his argument. This is very statistical and I know there is more to a story than the numbers (e.g. the coverage in the final minutes against Chi). But numbers to tell a lot about the entire body of the defense's work.

Last season, McDermott took over a very bad defensive unit with little time to prepare or install his system. This became more challenging due to injuries over the course of the year. This year the only personnel "upgrades" he got were two rookies (Kuechly & Norman), three players recovering from season ending injuries (Beason, Davis, Edwards) Dwan Edwards (legitimate upgrade) and Nakamura (I use the term "upgrade" very loosely here). Below are the defensive rankings on a per game basis for the past two seasons:

2011 2012
Yards/Game 28th 15th
Pass yds/gm 24th 15th
Rush yds/gm 25th 20th
Points/Game 27th 17th
Takeaways 17th 19th

Last season, Carolina averaged 32 minutes TOP per game vs 29 minutes so far in 2012. So McDermott has managed to take a unit from bottom of the barrel in nearly every category to middle of the pack while asking the unit to spend 3 more minutes per game on the field.

My point is not that they are anywhere close to a top 10 unit, but no one could be expected to take what they have on Defense and make them a top 10 unit while losing the TOP battle. They aren't playing championship defense but they are playing well enough to win games.

So far in 2012 the average points per game scored by an NFL team is 22.2 points. From this you could reason that as an offense if you score 23 points you have done your part and as a defense if you allow 22 or less you have done your part to helping your team win the game on average. Through 7 games, the defense has allowed 16 points 3 times (I'm taking out the Pick 6 against Chi) and 19 in another. In a fifth game (NO), they allowed 27 points but contributed 7 of the necessary 23 the offense needed to do their part, so you could say they did there part in that game as well if you wanted to get technical.

In the Seattle game in particular, the defense was responsible for 9 of the 12 points Carolina scored. That means that if Cam Newton and Company weren't allowed to step on the field for a single play, the defense would have still managed to only lose the game 16-9. That's a pretty impressive effort and one good enough to win the game.

The defense is making improvements and I would argue that it has little to do with improvements in personnel. With an above average offense, the defense would have put the team in a position to be 4-3 or 5-2 at this point. We'd all like to see it better, but the defense is not the reason this team is 1-6.

Sorry for the long post but with one post every 3 years I have to make them count.

Applause Applause Applause

I don't know how much of it has to do with Kuechly, but ever since he slid inside, the defense has looked cohesive and seems to be playing as a complete unit for the first time in a long time. Our offense is definitely our achilles heel this time around.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
fretgod99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subparg wrote:
[good stuff]
Nice work. You should post more often! I generally agree. I've also noticed that the defense has actually been playing generally better over the last few weeks in particular. They're not going to scare anybody, but they're definitely playing (for most of the game) well enough to get us wins. Oddly, it's really the offense that has been coming up drastically short for the most part.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
subparg wrote:
[good stuff]
Nice work. You should post more often! I generally agree. I've also noticed that the defense has actually been playing generally better over the last few weeks in particular. They're not going to scare anybody, but they're definitely playing (for most of the game) well enough to get us wins. Oddly, it's really the offense that has been coming up drastically short for the most part.

Which I think is coming around as well, last week we put up 22 points again Chicago who was only allowing 13 all season. We got rid of the read zone option and Cam seems to be getting comfortable in the pocket.

We'll see how they perform this week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
subparg wrote:
[good stuff]
Which I think is coming around as well, last week we put up 22 points again Chicago who was only allowing 13 all season. We got rid of the read zone option and Cam seems to be getting comfortable in the pocket.

We'll see how they perform this week.
Oh, you and your adorable optimism!

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: