Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My off-season plan

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21570
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: My off-season plan Reply with quote

The loss this weekend all but sealed our fate of making the playoffs, so here's what I think we should do this off-season to get this team back into the playoffs.
Cuts
DE Will Smith - He has a giant salary next year and honestly might be uncuttable but something needs to be done, he's easily our worst DE.
MLB Jonathan Vilma - He's been willing to make the switch to WLB and still has some ability but he's set to make roughly 5 million next year, which he's simply just not worth.

This should give us a little bit of cap space to play with, and with Loomis you know he'll find a way to shuffle some contracts and get money to play with.

Signings
DE Michael Johnson - This mans going to get paid, and it better be by us. He's a dominant pass rush threat and one of the most athletic DEs in the league, with our gaping hole at DE he should be our main target.
DE Osi Umenyiora - He's going to be looking at one last deal and I doubt the Giants give it to him, we should be able to lock him up with a decently sized 2-3 year deal and Spags is familiar with him.
RT Andre Smith - He hasn't been a bust but he certainly has been a disappointment in Cincinatti, if we put him on a winning team on an offense like the Saints he should be able to reach his full potential and we NEED a mauler in the run game, which is exactly what Smith provides.

Draft I'm going to assume Goodell gives us our 2nd round pick back and that we finish at 7th overall.
1st - Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
This pick is a stretch, but this is my off-season gosh darnet! He could tumble in the draft simply due to the DE depth and the QB needy teams ahead of us.
2nd - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
I'll probably catch some flack for this pick but this offense NEEDS someone to take the top off of defenses. Austins fast and dangerous in the open field and will only give Graham and Colston more space to work with in the middle of the field.
3rd - Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas
Greer is slowing down and behind Patrick Robinson our CBs have been miserable. He's got the size and athleticism to be a good #2 in the NFL.
4th - Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida
This guy is a gamer. Injuries have been a concern but he's great in coverage and athletic when attacking the LOS. He should give us some much needed depth at OLB and at worst will be a great STer.
5th - Graham Pocic, C, Illinois
One of my favorite OL prospects in this draft, he's a little tall to be a C but it hasn't hurt him in college. He's a mauler in the running game and has sound technique.
6th - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
He's rapidly rising up draft boards after a much improved season so he might not be here in the 6th but I'd love it if he was, he gives us some solid depth on the OL and insurance in case Andre Smith doesn't work out.
7th - Dustin Hopkins, K, FSU
Garret Hartley has lost us a game already this season and he's living off the Super Bowl run a few years back, a little competition isn't going to hurt us.

Depth Chart
QB - Drew Brees, Chase Daniel
HB - Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles, Mark Ingram, Chris Ivory
FB - Jed Collins
WR - Marques Colston, Tavon Austin, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, Nick Toon, Joseph Morgan
TE - Jimmy Graham, David Thomas
LT - Jermon Bushrod, Charles Brown
LG - Ben Grubbs, Eric Olsen
C - Brian De La Puente, Graham Pocic
RG - Jahri Evans, Marcel Jones
RT - Andre Smith, Lane Johnson

DE - Michael Johnson, Osi Umenyiora, Greg Romeus
UT - Akiem Hicks, Tom Johnson
NT - Star Lotulelei, Brodrick Bunkley
DE - Cameron Jordan, Junior Galette
SLB - David Hawthorne, Will Herring
MLB - Curtis Lofton
WLB - Jelani Jenkins, Jonathan Casillas
CB - Patrick Robinson, Carrington Byndom
FS - Malcolm Jenkins, Isa Abdul-Quddus
SS - Roman Harper, Jose Gumbs
CB - Jabari Greer, Johnny Patrick, Corey White

K - Dustin Hopkins
P - Thomas Morstead

Obviously depth would need to be signed but I didn't get fully in depth with this. Hopefully these moves would improve the pass rush and in turn improve the rest of the defense and with some improvement on the offense we should see ourselves right back into Super Bowl contention next year. Who Dat!?
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Porter22


Joined: 13 Feb 2010
Posts: 2499
Location: Weyhe, Germany
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like Austin, but we need some real help at the safety position. Draft a Rambo, Vaccaro or maybe even McDonald if he falls.
Also we may get a compensatory pick in round 3 or 4 that could be used for a deep threat!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21570
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
As much as I like Austin, but we need some real help at the safety position. Draft a Rambo, Vaccaro or maybe even McDonald if he falls.
Also we may get a compensatory pick in round 3 or 4 that could be used for a deep threat!

I don't think Harper needs to be replaced and while I'm probably the biggest Jenkins critic on this site, he has made some slight strides in his game under Spags as the seasons progressed. I'll reserve judgement on him until the end of the year.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My off-season plan Reply with quote

I have the same problem that I think most Saints defenders have... I simply do not believe in Spagnuolo's defense anymore.

Also...

Godell said he woulden't give us our 2nd rounder back but he'd modify the suspension of it. I will find link for you but Mort reported that it would likley be something along the lines of giving our 2nd back then taking a 3rd & 5th or 4th and 6th or something of that nature.

Also, the saints traded away an undisclosed 2013 draft pick to the seattle seahawks for barrett rudd this season who they eventully cut. the pick was ;likley a 6th or 7th rounder... most likley our 7th.

If we get our 2nd back... and thats a big IF, it will likley cost us our 4th and 6th giving us picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21570
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My off-season plan Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
I have the same problem that I think most Saints defenders have... I simply do not believe in Spagnuolo's defense anymore.

Also...

Godell said he woulden't give us our 2nd rounder back but he'd modify the suspension of it. I will find link for you but Mort reported that it would likley be something along the lines of giving our 2nd back then taking a 3rd & 5th or 4th and 6th or something of that nature.

Also, the saints traded away an undisclosed 2013 draft pick to the seattle seahawks for barrett rudd this season who they eventully cut. the pick was ;likley a 6th or 7th rounder... most likley our 7th.

If we get our 2nd back... and thats a big IF, it will likley cost us our 4th and 6th giving us picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

He's had 6 games and what defenders have stated they don't believe in the scheme? Spags needs the front 4 to be productive, its not his fault that we have zero talent on the DL. Also, if we finish out of the playoffs and in the top 10 I find it hard to believe he won't give us our 2nd round pick back.
A complete overhaul of our defense isn't the answer, our LBs are good, our secondary has talent we just need SOME sort of pass rush out of our DL.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My off-season plan Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
I have the same problem that I think most Saints defenders have... I simply do not believe in Spagnuolo's defense anymore.

Also...

Godell said he woulden't give us our 2nd rounder back but he'd modify the suspension of it. I will find link for you but Mort reported that it would likley be something along the lines of giving our 2nd back then taking a 3rd & 5th or 4th and 6th or something of that nature.

Also, the saints traded away an undisclosed 2013 draft pick to the seattle seahawks for barrett rudd this season who they eventully cut. the pick was ;likley a 6th or 7th rounder... most likley our 7th.

If we get our 2nd back... and thats a big IF, it will likley cost us our 4th and 6th giving us picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

He's had 6 games and what defenders have stated they don't believe in the scheme? Spags needs the front 4 to be productive, its not his fault that we have zero talent on the DL. Also, if we finish out of the playoffs and in the top 10 I find it hard to believe he won't give us our 2nd round pick back.
A complete overhaul of our defense isn't the answer, our LBs are good, our secondary has talent we just need SOME sort of pass rush out of our DL.


1st this is Rodger Godell were talking about... he aint giving us SQUAT!

2nd The time frame from a 34 switch to a competitive spags defense is the same. 1-2 years!

3rd a complete overhaul of our defense is coming with sapgs or without!
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21570
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My off-season plan Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
I have the same problem that I think most Saints defenders have... I simply do not believe in Spagnuolo's defense anymore.

Also...

Godell said he woulden't give us our 2nd rounder back but he'd modify the suspension of it. I will find link for you but Mort reported that it would likley be something along the lines of giving our 2nd back then taking a 3rd & 5th or 4th and 6th or something of that nature.

Also, the saints traded away an undisclosed 2013 draft pick to the seattle seahawks for barrett rudd this season who they eventully cut. the pick was ;likley a 6th or 7th rounder... most likley our 7th.

If we get our 2nd back... and thats a big IF, it will likley cost us our 4th and 6th giving us picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

He's had 6 games and what defenders have stated they don't believe in the scheme? Spags needs the front 4 to be productive, its not his fault that we have zero talent on the DL. Also, if we finish out of the playoffs and in the top 10 I find it hard to believe he won't give us our 2nd round pick back.
A complete overhaul of our defense isn't the answer, our LBs are good, our secondary has talent we just need SOME sort of pass rush out of our DL.


1st this is Rodger Godell were talking about... he aint giving us SQUAT!

2nd The time frame from a 34 switch to a competitive spags defense is the same. 1-2 years!

3rd a complete overhaul of our defense is coming with sapgs or without!

I'm not even going to respond to your first post. I agree we need a complete overhaul but a 3-4 isn't going to just fix our problems. I don't understand why people think it only takes a year or two to install a 3-4 defense ESPECIALLY when we've been so miserable at evaluating defensive talent. Thats our biggest issue. Had we hit on ANY of our defensive draft picks, we'd be looking at the very least, an average defense.
Malcolm Jenkins - Bust.
Sedrick Ellis - Bust.
Cameron Jordan - Wrong scheme.
Patrick Robinson - Been decent but not worth a first.
All 4 of our last top defensive picks have been disappointments, Robinsons been our best pick and he's only a good #2 at best, so far. We need better drafting, point blank, whether its for a 3-4 or a 4-3. If we keep wasting our draft picks, we'll never see a difference.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My off-season plan Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
I have the same problem that I think most Saints defenders have... I simply do not believe in Spagnuolo's defense anymore.

Also...

Godell said he woulden't give us our 2nd rounder back but he'd modify the suspension of it. I will find link for you but Mort reported that it would likley be something along the lines of giving our 2nd back then taking a 3rd & 5th or 4th and 6th or something of that nature.

Also, the saints traded away an undisclosed 2013 draft pick to the seattle seahawks for barrett rudd this season who they eventully cut. the pick was ;likley a 6th or 7th rounder... most likley our 7th.

If we get our 2nd back... and thats a big IF, it will likley cost us our 4th and 6th giving us picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th.

He's had 6 games and what defenders have stated they don't believe in the scheme? Spags needs the front 4 to be productive, its not his fault that we have zero talent on the DL. Also, if we finish out of the playoffs and in the top 10 I find it hard to believe he won't give us our 2nd round pick back.
A complete overhaul of our defense isn't the answer, our LBs are good, our secondary has talent we just need SOME sort of pass rush out of our DL.


1st this is Rodger Godell were talking about... he aint giving us SQUAT!

2nd The time frame from a 34 switch to a competitive spags defense is the same. 1-2 years!

3rd a complete overhaul of our defense is coming with sapgs or without!

I'm not even going to respond to your first post. I agree we need a complete overhaul but a 3-4 isn't going to just fix our problems. I don't understand why people think it only takes a year or two to install a 3-4 defense ESPECIALLY when we've been so miserable at evaluating defensive talent. Thats our biggest issue. Had we hit on ANY of our defensive draft picks, we'd be looking at the very least, an average defense.
Malcolm Jenkins - Bust.
Sedrick Ellis - Bust.
Cameron Jordan - Wrong scheme.
Patrick Robinson - Been decent but not worth a first.
All 4 of our last top defensive picks have been disappointments, Robinsons been our best pick and he's only a good #2 at best, so far. We need better drafting, point blank, whether its for a 3-4 or a 4-3. If we keep wasting our draft picks, we'll never see a difference.


This defense has to be rebuit either way...

YOu build around the talent you have, the 43 was the right way to go in the past but with the looming offseason purge of defensive players Cameron Jordan will likley be our best defensive player with the most potential. Jordan in the 34 is a pro bowl player.

Akiem Hicks would be a very good player in the 34 front... He possesses alot of the same qualities that Richard Seymour did and he was a beast in the scheme. It just all depends on what is asked of him out of the scheme. Yes, he likley fits better at LDE and thats fine, this draft is full with potential 34 NT's

Jon Hankins
Jon Jenkins
Louis Nix
Jesse Williams

Players like Jean Francois could also be picked up in free agency.

Look, I aint gonna say staying with Spags is wrong... it just aint what i would do.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Harper41


Joined: 29 Aug 2009
Posts: 21570
Location: Roll Tide Country
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even necessarily saying we have to stay with Spags, I just don't see a complete overhaul into a 3-4 defense solving our problems. I do want to see Jordan in a 3-4 though, he'd be a monster. Our main issue wouldn't be solved though, we'd still have ZERO pass rush. If a guy like Jarvis Jones falls to us in the 1st though, I think we'd have to consider it.
_________________

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whodatworm23


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 3135
Location: Nawlins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I'm not even necessarily saying we have to stay with Spags, I just don't see a complete overhaul into a 3-4 defense solving our problems. I do want to see Jordan in a 3-4 though, he'd be a monster. Our main issue wouldn't be solved though, we'd still have ZERO pass rush. If a guy like Jarvis Jones falls to us in the 1st though, I think we'd have to consider it.


You know... everyone has Jones as a lock top 5 pick in this draft but the dude has major medical concerns that will come up leading up to the draft.

He has a reconstructed knee as well as Spinal Stenosis... This is the same thing that has cause other good young players to have short NFL careers.

While I still see him as a top 15 pick, these combined medical issues could cause him to fall and the Saints would have a major desion to make on draft day.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FLOODx


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 6014
Location: New Orleans
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome FA signings
_________________

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group