Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jared Cook asking for a trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per rotoworld:
Quote:

Titans No. 3 TE Taylor Thompson played more snaps (24) than Jared Cook (23) in Week 10.
Cook is still the preferred option as a receiving tight end, but his snaps have been on the decline since September. A converted defensive end, Thompson is already a better pass- and run-blocker than Cook. "We have a third tight end that can do a lot of things," said coach Mike Munchank, "and that opens up a lot of lanes."

Yeah...Cook isn't going to be back next year.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising. He is a big bodied wide receiver. Nothing more. He was an atrocious blocker when he arrived and apparently is not showing signs of improvement. He is an amazing athlete for his size, but unfortunately he doesn't have the most reliable hands either.

If he starts in with a bad attitude and trade talks I would consider him gone as well.

The draft doesn't look all that promising either.
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Per rotoworld:
Quote:

Titans No. 3 TE Taylor Thompson played more snaps (24) than Jared Cook (23) in Week 10.
Cook is still the preferred option as a receiving tight end, but his snaps have been on the decline since September. A converted defensive end, Thompson is already a better pass- and run-blocker than Cook. "We have a third tight end that can do a lot of things," said coach Mike Munchank, "and that opens up a lot of lanes."

Yeah...Cook isn't going to be back next year.

The guy holding the franchise tag might, and likely will, think differently.

Especially since the only other priority FA's I see this offseason are Velasco, Reynaud, Marks, and Bironas. none of those guys seem like they'll be tough to extend. If cook isn't on the team it will likely mean we have a nice draft pick as compensation. But for the record, I fully expect Cook to be a Titan next season.

**RIP Steve McNair**
-Munch-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of forcing someone to be on a team. If it's not working and if he wants out of here then let him go, it's not like he's an incredible player or anything.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you overlook his blocking abilities he is an exceptional athlete that easily creates mismatches against most defenders.

There is no "Jimmy Graham" type player in this years draft and there isn't much to look at in free agency. Given that he is usually good for one big play and a few mismatches a game he really is our best option going into next season.

Neither Stevens nor Thompson provides the threat that Cook does when he is on the field and are typically check-down options more or less.

So despite saying we could see him go due to his blocking abilities, the lack of viable replacements should bring him back to Tennessee.
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time to let him go- granted, we need to see how Palmer's offensive system shakes out now that Locker is back, but I think we're moving directly towards a system like Heimer's, where TEs run short, play action, and post-chip patterns to act as a safety valve for the QB, not as the designated playmaker.

When it comes to that role, Stevens is a far, far better fit than Cook. If Thompson develops reliable hands, he'll be far better than Cook at it as well, considering he's already a far superior blocker.

To take advantage of Cook, he needs to run routes where he doesn't have to chip or delay the route; but our run game is predicated on heavy blocking and TEs setting the hole, so when Cook is in, defenses are going to be able to assume we're PAing, and ignore the running threat.

Another problem for Cook is our depth at WR- though we still do not have a standout #1, I think Britt, Wright, Wash, and Williams are all starting level #2s. And they all run full route trees. As enamored as I am by Cook's talent and physical ability, he still doesn't run a full route tree, and can really only work out of the slot. Since all of our WRs bring different strengths to the table (Britt's size, Wash's wily zone spotting, Wright's acceleration and sharp turns, and Williams' does everything ok), putting Cook in instead of one of them signals our intentions on the play.

If we had stuck with a zone blocking scheme, which is far less reliant on TEs and FBs to block, Cook would still be a good fit for us. But CJ can't run that, and a running game is far more important. We need blocking TEs (clearly right now) to run the scheme CJ excels in.

I think Cookie will leave, do great with whatever team picks him up, and net us a 3rd or 4th comp pick. I really, really like Stevens (I think he's a Wycheck clone, except better) and Taylor Thompson has the potential to be the all around package like Gronk- pass catching, pass blocking, and run blocking.
s_camp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
If you overlook his blocking abilities he is an exceptional athlete that easily creates mismatches against most defenders.

There is no "Jimmy Graham" type player in this years draft and there isn't much to look at in free agency. Given that he is usually good for one big play and a few mismatches a game he really is our best option going into next season.

Neither Stevens nor Thompson provides the threat that Cook does when he is on the field and are typically check-down options more or less.

So despite saying we could see him go due to his blocking abilities, the lack of viable replacements should bring him back to Tennessee.

Wait a minute, Stevens is averaging 12.3 yards per reception this year, with a long of 46 yards, versus Cook's 13.1 and 61, respectively. It's not like Stevens gets 4 yards when he catches it.
Titans_31

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Wait a minute, Stevens is averaging 12.3 yards per reception this year, with a long of 46 yards, versus Cook's 13.1 and 61, respectively. It's not like Stevens gets 4 yards when he catches it.

Cooks reminds me so much of Ben troupe all potential. I doubt he ever preforms the way we know he can consistently
titansNvolsR#1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evolution of this thread is absolutely amazing. Laughing
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, agree with TItans vol.
My change is opinion isn't about Cook's talent. I just don't think he fits the system we run anymore. He never really fit the system tbh, but it's becoming even more pronounced now. We've got too much depth at WR to need to use him as our 3rd WR, and we prefer our slot guys to work underneath on short routes, not deep stuff.

Stevens is just too all around good to take off the field, and Thompson really seems to be developing fast as a blocker (and is just as physically gifted as Cookie).

I would vastly prefer Cook in a 2 min or hurry up offense, but in our base offense, Stevens just has way more value.
Here's to hoping he dominates wherever he goes and gets us a 3rd round comp pick.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Stats are stats and numbers don't lie, but when Stevens is open on the streak route that Cook is able to get open on I will eat my words that he is better as a check down option than a threat. I'm not saying he's bad by any means, he does occasionally find an open spot in the zone downfield.

But he is not going to outrun anyone.. I guess is what I'm getting at.

Last edited by TitanSS on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
s_camp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
s_camp wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Stats are stats and numbers don't lie, but when Stevens is open on the streak route that Cook is able to get open on I will eat my words that he is better as a check down option than a threat. I'm not saying he's bad by any means, he does occasionally find an open spot in the zone downfield.

But he is not going to outrun anyone.. I guess is what I'm getting at.

And? Cook can outrun people, but he doesn't really produce much better than Stevens, so what's the point? I'd rather a TE that can stay on the field for running plays and be a productive receiver than a TE that's really an enormous WR.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: