Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Interesting quote from Mike Wallace
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Interesting quote from Mike Wallace Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Wallace attributes his uncharacteristic drops this season to a lack of focus caused by his diminished role in Todd Haley's spread-the-wealth offense.
"The first three years I was always involved, so you just warmed up in games, and you were just into it," explained Wallace. "But when you don't get the ball for two-and-half quarters, you lose focus. But that's the type of offense this is." It doesn't take a genius to see that the impending free agent and now "co-starter" is entering his final stretch of games in Pittsburgh. The writing is on the wall.

Per Rotoworld.

As im sure most of you already know, I am not a fan of Wallace or the idea of him wearing the horns, But this should be an indication why.

If a player "loses focus" and blames his drops on it and the OC, do you really think he would do any better here? Would you even want a guy like that here?...

There is no question about his talent, but he isnt worth the headache IMO.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are making way too much about this quote. he is talking about not being involved, not having a rhythm with the QB.

Todd Haley is know for running a munch of useless runoff routes, even in pass plays. And from what Ive seen this season he has Wallace doing a ton of them. Basically phasing him out of the offense even before he is gone.

If you arent expecting that there is a chance you catch the ball every time you step onto the field, I can definitely see where drops can start to happen when you arent in rhythm at all.

I dont even want him, but you are stretching this one a bit.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where he is coming from, I really do. However you dont need to speak on it and blame the OC. My point wasnt about his performance or that he is a horrible person or any accusations along those lines, simply that he is a bit of a diva and if they are going to pay him the big money I would expect a little more professionalism and even top performace regardless of the play calling or situation.

What happens if he is our #1 in Schotty's run first offense and its a game where the offense has 3 straight 3 & Outs and he doesnt get a catch for that 2 & a half quarter time period he is talking about? Then we shouldnt expect him to catch the ball the rest of the game?

Thats my point. Hes a great player but it just adds to my protest against signing Wallace. Wasnt trying to sound extreme.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its alittle different when an OC has seemingly, purposefully written you out of the Game Plan. If you watch the Offense this year vs last its pretty obvious thats what TH did. Even when Antonio Brown was still out there, and kinda hurt, he had Ben forcing him the ball and he couldnt do what he did last year.

He was asked a question and answered it honestly, I dont see the problem here. He didnt say Ben is throwing bad passes, he was taking the blame for the drops (i.e. lack of focus) and then explains where that problem is stemming from (i.e. not meing used in the game plan)

Every problem has a cause, but that cause almost always has a root cause
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd Haley has thrown his own players under the bus in the past...

In terms of being a [inappropriate/removed]...

Haley >>> Wallace

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you Dee Rawl. This quote clearly displays that Wallace lacks an elite ability to focus. That really can't be argued. It is understandable that players struggle to keep focus or rhythm. What separates top competitors from the pack is how they react to it.

Wallace reacts by dropping passes, and then publicly passing off responsibility for it. The true greats use the problem to sharpen their focus. These games only last three hours fellas, if you can't focus yourself for that long then you are going to struggle in the pros. Wallace is proving that now.

Maybe he comes cheaper as a result? That could be interesting, although I prefer Dwayne Bowe over him. We need people that can gain separation in the shortened field and present red zone match-ups. I think Bowe's size makes him the better fit for that.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely, and thats ok if you have to have an established constant rythem in order to perform. However if thats the case then you are meant to be in a pass heavy college like offense... ie Green Bay not St. Louis.

And out of the two I would prefer Bowe, but I still much rather take one in the draft, specifically Allen.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about drops, not seeing how you'd want Bowe over Wallace. Yep, Wallace has dropped some passes this year. He explained why. But in the past, he's shown reliable and sure hands while Bowe has always been a guy known for dropping passes...and frankly, Bowe is another guy known for being a diva.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont like either of them, but i would prefer Bowe's size and physicality over Wallace and his speed.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we get one, Bowe would be my choice too if we get a Free Agent WR.

That being said, Givens is developing nicely and Quick has a ton of potential. If we resign Amendola, I don't know were either Wallace or Bowe would fit into the offense at this point. I don't think Fisher and his staff would basically block Quick from reaching the field much next year by signing a WR that would basically do the role he was drafted for.

The way I see it, next year will be like Quick's rookie year in comparison to most other players. He is just going to take more time to adjust.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
If we get one, Bowe would be my choice too if we get a Free Agent WR.

That being said, Givens is developing nicely and Quick has a ton of potential. If we resign Amendola, I don't know were either Wallace or Bowe would fit into the offense at this point. I don't think Fisher and his staff would basically block Quick from reaching the field much next year by signing a WR that would basically do the role he was drafted for.

The way I see it, next year will be like Quick's rookie year in comparison to most other players. He is just going to take more time to adjust.

Unless Quick gets on the field and is very impressive in the next 4 games, we need to go into the off-season with our eyes set on either signing or drafting a #1 WR. You can't just assume he'll develop. Too many busts that say otherwise.

And if he does develop, what's the down side? We have too many good WRs? Laughing

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jjab360

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm not worried about the whole "no. 1 WR" thing, I just want to get Bradford as many weapons as possible. If Givens ends up being the "no. 1 WR" next year, I think he's plenty capable of handling the role. I do think we need a serious threat opposite him, however, Gibson's just about done here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
Honestly, I'm not worried about the whole "no. 1 WR" thing, I just want to get Bradford as many weapons as possible.

Agreed, I think too many people are getting caught up in the "idea" of a true #1 WR. Reality is, there are only a handful of these guys in the NFL...

Only one thing I would add to the statement. While a quantity of weapons is nice. I'd prefer having a few excellent options instead...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want Wallace. He's probably my favorite non Ram receiver in the league. If he made it to the Rams, I would probably cry from joy.

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:
Honestly, I'm not worried about the whole "no. 1 WR" thing, I just want to get Bradford as many weapons as possible.

Agreed, I think too many people are getting caught up in the "idea" of a true #1 WR. Reality is, there are only a handful of these guys in the NFL...

Only one thing I would add to the statement. While a quantity of weapons is nice. I'd prefer having a few excellent options instead...

I have been very clear about what I believe this team needs, a pass catcher that presents matchup problems outside of the numbers and in the red zone.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: