Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manti Te'o
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 22601
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
What NFL team is really needing a MLB/ILB more than us right now? The Giants? That's really the only team I can think of, besides maybe Buffalo or someone like that, or maybe even Indy, but they need OL help.

If Te'o is anywhere near us, we would be fools NOT to jump on him, even though I know Ozzie is a fan of not getting any 1st round picks and just stockpiling on 2nd rounders (that's worked out real well recently, lolllllll).

It has. Both Kelechi Osemele and Courtney Upshaw are nice talents. And the other players that I preferred over them like Cordy Glenn, Alshon Jeffery, and Stephen Hill... they also all went in the 2nd. The first round had nothing for us but a greater "prestige" to it. Ozzie will select a 1st rounder if it's the right player, right price.

The only argument for a trade down not working might be the Sergio Kindle trade down... and even that one is heavily flawed because we lost out on his potential because of a freak accident, it was similar to the Dan Cody freak incidents of the past... only worse.

Our last first rounder (Jimmy Smith) is no more productive than our latest second rounders (Courtney Upshaw/Kelechi Osemele).


Didn't we also trade down to get Jimmy Smith? Or did we stay? I can't really remember, but I want to say we stayed with him.

My point is, if Te'o is anywhere near us in the 1st round we need to take him. We can't afford not to.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
What NFL team is really needing a MLB/ILB more than us right now? The Giants? That's really the only team I can think of, besides maybe Buffalo or someone like that, or maybe even Indy, but they need OL help.

If Te'o is anywhere near us, we would be fools NOT to jump on him, even though I know Ozzie is a fan of not getting any 1st round picks and just stockpiling on 2nd rounders (that's worked out real well recently, lolllllll).

It has. Both Kelechi Osemele and Courtney Upshaw are nice talents. And the other players that I preferred over them like Cordy Glenn, Alshon Jeffery, and Stephen Hill... they also all went in the 2nd. The first round had nothing for us but a greater "prestige" to it. Ozzie will select a 1st rounder if it's the right player, right price.

The only argument for a trade down not working might be the Sergio Kindle trade down... and even that one is heavily flawed because we lost out on his potential because of a freak accident, it was similar to the Dan Cody freak incidents of the past... only worse.

Our last first rounder (Jimmy Smith) is no more productive than our latest second rounders (Courtney Upshaw/Kelechi Osemele).


Didn't we also trade down to get Jimmy Smith? Or did we stay? I can't really remember, but I want to say we stayed with him.

My point is, if Te'o is anywhere near us in the 1st round we need to take him. We can't afford not to.

We tried to trade down like two spots with the Bears so that they could get Gabe Carimi and we could still get Smith... it should have netted us an extra 4th rounder if I'm not mistaken. We selected Tandon Doss in the 4th... and with an extra 4th... a few guys that went a little later in the 5th round were Denarius Moore of the Raiders and Richard Sherman of the Seahawks. Sherman played for Stanford and so there is the obvious Harbaugh connection there to consider... there might've been a chance we would've targeted him with a pick perhaps. There's also a chance that we would've picked some nobody player, but still... that trade down would've been an excellent move either way. Still get our guy and pick up a potential impact player.

Again I disagree. I think we can't afford not to upgrade our pass rushing talent. Te'O is the best ILB in this class, sure. But there will be other nice talents in the 2nd and 3rd round of this deep inside linebacker class. Whereas the 1st round looks like it could be pretty deep at the pass rushing spot. We might finally have a shot at a great pass rusher at so late a point in the draft. Dion Jordan and Margus Hunt both seem like Ravens type players. Hunt probably blows up the combine and goes top 20, but with him being 25 (26 by the start of next year) there is a "chance" that he could perhaps fall to us. But if we're going to trade up for a talent, I don't think it should be at the ILB spot... but rather for an explosive marque pass rusher... it's been what this defense has most been missing since we had to choose between Adalius Thomas and Terrell Suggs. Being able to pair Suggs with an explosive edge threat would be a good way to prolong his career as he'd see less double teams in pass rushing situations- same with Ngata.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jamal55


Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 1273
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really depends on the price.

I don't think ILB is more of a need than d-lineman. Our ILB's are average, but d-lineman are flat out terrible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aussie_raven77


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 341
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to get your opinion on a scenario, say we don't trade up for Te'O, who I think is a tremendous player, how would you guys feel if we brought in a free agent like Rey Maualuga who many of us were interest in picking up when we was in the draft a few years ago and drafting a pass rusher or perhaps even a safety depending on what Ed decides to do at the end of the year
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
I just wanted to get your opinion on a scenario, say we don't trade up for Te'O, who I think is a tremendous player, how would you guys feel if we brought in a free agent like Rey Maualuga who many of us were interest in picking up when we was in the draft a few years ago and drafting a pass rusher or perhaps even a safety depending on what Ed decides to do at the end of the year

Well... Maualuga has looked terrible this year. I don't know if he's playing through something or what, but I'd pass, I'd rather bring back Ellerbe if we were going to sign him.

In terms of going after a pass rusher/safety... I could get down with both, but obviously I think pass rusher would supersede safety. Pass rusher is a first round need for us, not a 2nd round need. We have enough "decent" edge threats, what we really need is a guy that could potentially develop into a player. Dion Jordan is a guy that I love, Margus Hunt if he's available would make for a nice prize at 5-tech, Mike Buchanan could be a possibility if neither of the above guys fall to us... I'd have to see more from him however to be fully comfortable with taking a chance on his explosive ability. So pass rusher is already at the forefront of what I think we need.

In terms of safety, I'd only be comfortable going after one in the 2nd round. And the only safety that I like that could be available with our pick in the 2nd is Matt Elam. Heck the only safeties I like in this class are Elam and McDonald from USC. Either the safeties in this class aren't athletic enough to be true impact players at the next level, have instincts that I don't think will make them great players at the next level, they are players that I question their physicality, OR some combination of the above. I think Elam is the best safety in this class though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20449
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manti is ours!

We suck more than you so we can pick him first. Crying or Very sad Wink
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Manti is ours!

We suck more than you so we can pick him first. Crying or Very sad Wink

But you guys already have a Jackson to man the inside, why would you want Te'O? Seems like you guys would be in a position to add an elite DL talent to pair with Sheard on the edges. I'm not the biggest fan of Mingo's production. I think you guys would do well to pick up Sam Montgomery to pair with Sheard. I think both players have similar potential at the next level, but Montgomery plays the premium position.

Just my .02
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20449
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Manti is ours!

We suck more than you so we can pick him first. Crying or Very sad Wink

But you guys already have a Jackson to man the inside, why would you want Te'O? Seems like you guys would be in a position to add an elite DL talent to pair with Sheard on the edges. I'm not the biggest fan of Mingo's production. I think you guys would do well to pick up Sam Montgomery to pair with Sheard. I think both players have similar potential at the next level, but Montgomery plays the premium position.

Just my .02


You are definitely not far off.

We need a DE for sure, however none of us over in the forum feel like one of the DE's has stood out, nor do we feel any are deserving of a top 5 pick.

I think Dqwell or Manti would be flexible enough to transition.

I'm in the minority in wanting Star Lotulelei. I think he's the next Suh and maybe better. Most don't want him because they feel we are deep at DL. I think you add an elite talent when you can.
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22472
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Manti is ours!

We suck more than you so we can pick him first. Crying or Very sad Wink

But you guys already have a Jackson to man the inside, why would you want Te'O? Seems like you guys would be in a position to add an elite DL talent to pair with Sheard on the edges. I'm not the biggest fan of Mingo's production. I think you guys would do well to pick up Sam Montgomery to pair with Sheard. I think both players have similar potential at the next level, but Montgomery plays the premium position.

Just my .02


You are definitely not far off.

We need a DE for sure, however none of us over in the forum feel like one of the DE's has stood out, nor do we feel any are deserving of a top 5 pick.

I think Dqwell or Manti would be flexible enough to transition.

I'm in the minority in wanting Star Lotulelei. I think he's the next Suh and maybe better. Most don't want him because they feel we are deep at DL. I think you add an elite talent when you can.


While I honestly can say I know nothing abotu Star Lotulelei, I 100% agree with your statement I bolded. Unless it's a QB and you already have a star, you add yourself an elite talent anytime you're presented the opportunity, particularly along the DL. The only exception would be if there is another elite talent at the same level at a position that also has a large impact and it is a need.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20449
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Manti is ours!

We suck more than you so we can pick him first. Crying or Very sad Wink

But you guys already have a Jackson to man the inside, why would you want Te'O? Seems like you guys would be in a position to add an elite DL talent to pair with Sheard on the edges. I'm not the biggest fan of Mingo's production. I think you guys would do well to pick up Sam Montgomery to pair with Sheard. I think both players have similar potential at the next level, but Montgomery plays the premium position.

Just my .02


You are definitely not far off.

We need a DE for sure, however none of us over in the forum feel like one of the DE's has stood out, nor do we feel any are deserving of a top 5 pick.

I think Dqwell or Manti would be flexible enough to transition.

I'm in the minority in wanting Star Lotulelei. I think he's the next Suh and maybe better. Most don't want him because they feel we are deep at DL. I think you add an elite talent when you can.


While I honestly can say I know nothing abotu Star Lotulelei, I 100% agree with your statement I bolded. Unless it's a QB and you already have a star, you add yourself an elite talent anytime you're presented the opportunity, particularly along the DL. The only exception would be if there is another elite talent at the same level at a position that also has a large impact and it is a need.


Agreed

In a perfect world for the Browns, Jadaveon Clowney would be coming out this year and we would complete a sick DL. That or an elite CB talent.

Right now neither looks to be happening.
_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Manti is ours!

We suck more than you so we can pick him first. Crying or Very sad Wink

But you guys already have a Jackson to man the inside, why would you want Te'O? Seems like you guys would be in a position to add an elite DL talent to pair with Sheard on the edges. I'm not the biggest fan of Mingo's production. I think you guys would do well to pick up Sam Montgomery to pair with Sheard. I think both players have similar potential at the next level, but Montgomery plays the premium position.

Just my .02


You are definitely not far off.

We need a DE for sure, however none of us over in the forum feel like one of the DE's has stood out, nor do we feel any are deserving of a top 5 pick.

I think Dqwell or Manti would be flexible enough to transition.

I'm in the minority in wanting Star Lotulelei. I think he's the next Suh and maybe better. Most don't want him because they feel we are deep at DL. I think you add an elite talent when you can.


While I honestly can say I know nothing abotu Star Lotulelei, I 100% agree with your statement I bolded. Unless it's a QB and you already have a star, you add yourself an elite talent anytime you're presented the opportunity, particularly along the DL. The only exception would be if there is another elite talent at the same level at a position that also has a large impact and it is a need.


Agreed

In a perfect world for the Browns, Jadaveon Clowney would be coming out this year and we would complete a sick DL. That or an elite CB talent.

Right now neither looks to be happening.

Thirded. And wow, I never considered Star Lotulelei before for you guys... But after you just mentioned it, it made a lot of sense. You guys need to upgrade your pass rush and your run defense can be improved. You guys have a lot of quality players at DT, but no elite option (though Taylor is dominant when healthy). I think you're right. You select Star and create a dominant inside rotation with: Star, Taylor, Rubin.. And Winn you could have play UT or kick out to LDE on rushing downs.

With that kind of inside to collapse the pocket, now Sheard should see 1on1 on the outside exclusively... You probably could select a pass rusher at the top of the 2nd round, whichever 1st round talent falls... Perhaps one of those Texas DEs. Now you have a dominant front 4 that can get pressure against the best of them, a strong rotation to keep it going, and with a WLB selection in the 4th to be a quality role guy, you're providing Weeden with a top 5-10 defense and a great running unit. Probably spend the 3rd round pick on an IOL player to pair with Mack inside to improve the pass protection and everything else depth. That right there should turn around the Browns. Spend 2014 on the offense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
philly3k


Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 260
Location: eastlake ohio
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Offseason work outs, this guy is going top 10, maybe even top 7.

Better start losing now if u want him Smile
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12979
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philly3k wrote:
After Offseason work outs, this guy is going top 10, maybe even top 7.

Better start losing now if u want him Smile

Probably. But I honestly could care less about his prospectus. I'm much more concerned with the now apparently rising stock of Dion Jordan... I figured the secret would get out eventually. Too bad I think his full ability will be wasted by some team who will just plug him at DE and never allow him to realize his potential. Still holding out hope that he will be available late 1st. His versatility is exactly what would complete our defense... And if we can't have him, I honestly hope he goes to whatever defense Rex Ryan is coaching up next year... Because I know Rex will utilize his skillet correctly in organized chaos.

... And if you're wondering how this rant is relevant.. I just saw some of your fellow Browns fans considering him as your top pass rusher available. A potential top 10 guy. I wouldn't be happy if he went to the Browns- not just because you're a divisional rival but because I doubt he'd be properly utilized and as one of my favorite prospects in some time... That would truly irk me to no end. Not to mention that my favorite prospect from last year went to the Bengals- Kevin Zeitler.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark ops


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 98
Location: Los Angeles , CA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravens, IMO should move up to take this guy as he could become the "impact" replacement ILB for Ray ( yeah we need other pieces on D, but the impact he could have on the course of the D as an "elite" grade player would outweigh that aspect)
_________________
BALL SO HARD UNIVERSITY!!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 2182
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark ops wrote:
Ravens, IMO should move up to take this guy as he could become the "impact" replacement ILB for Ray ( yeah we need other pieces on D, but the impact he could have on the course of the D as an "elite" grade player would outweigh that aspect)


Trouble is, how much would they have to give up to move up the 15 - 20 spots they might need to get him?

That seems like a big move just to get an ILB, no matter how good he might end up being. And Te'o won't be able to do much anyway if the DL in front of him is still playing like garbage.

I'd rather the Ravens built from that DL and worked their way back. DE or DT in the 1st, ILB in the 2nd.

I've said it before, if they could gather some more draft picks through trades, prior to this year's draft, then they might have the ammunition to go after a top 15 pick. But I think the Ravens have too many needs in the draft to go giving up quality picks just to get one player.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group