Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Adrian Peterson - He is something special
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson.s style most closely resembles Gale Sayers.
sn0mm1s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:
PeteyPercyPonde wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:

The big difference is that Barry played in an era where it was much more difficult to run.

Over those 73 games Barry averaged 4.74 YPC while the rest of the NFL RBs averaged 3.95 YPC.

With Peterson (now 79 games) he has averaged 4.92 YPC when the rest of the NFL RBs have averaged 4.22 YPC.

And then Barry got much better.

So Barry averaged .79 yards more per carry than league average and AD averages .70 more per carry than league average. Coming out to .09 yards per carry? Kinda seems you are splitting hairs there.

But your last statement is the kicker, Barry was simply a beast putting up huge numbers in his 2nd 5 years in the NFL. Interesting enough they are both on pace to post very similar numbers in their 6th year in the league.

Sanders: 1883 yards, 5.7 YPC, 44 catches
Peterson (on pace): 1805 yards, 5.8 YPC, 46 catches

When you comparing the best and tossing around terms like GOAT then "splitting hairs" is justified. Barry's YPC compared to other RBs is better both in raw difference and percentage difference. Also, the season you are referring to saw league average of RBs drop to 3.68 YPC. Barry was a full two yards better than league average - with a 5.69. Right now Peterson has a 5.78 YPC vs. 4.17 YPC for the league. In a vacuum, they appear similar but not when you actually look at how difficult is was to run in the 1990s.

Why was it so difficult to run in the 1990's? If I recall correctly, Sanders wasn't the only one who was able to run during that decade. Emmitt Smith ran for more yards than any other back in history during the 90's.

When judged by YPC, the 90s were the most difficult decade to run in. Why? Dunno. I can speculate but I don't think there is ever going to be a clear answer. It has been much, much easier to run in the 2000s in comparison.

Most people (when polled on here) think Marino's 1984 season is better than Manning's or Brady's or Rodger's best season - and that is primarily due to differences in passing difficulties. This is no different. Amongst all the great RBs, if you judge the difficulty of their era by the league's YPC, Sanders ran in the toughest era.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson is great but he's not the GOAT. Barry Sanders was the best runner I ever saw, Peterson is close but he's not Barry. If you care more about production or versatility, then Peterson isn't going to pass guys like Walter Payton or Emmitt Smith.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
It looks like the charges from last summer's incident with Houston police have been dropped:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8627974/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-rb-says-arrest-charges-dropped

Police had said Peterson shoved the officer, who was working security and asked Peterson and his companions to leave the club, which was closed. Peterson said July 13 that he "didn't push, shove, touch anything to anyone that night, especially an officer."

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Some off the field videos that most non Vikings fans dont see.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Ready-to-Roll/6a7f6a7d-2471-48fb-a275-628acf38d79f

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Vikings-Peterson-Host-Make-A-Wish-Recipient-/43e68c0f-93ad-48dc-873b-d74286013a21

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Peterson-Surprises-Draft-Me-Maybe-Creators/10a3d6a9-1c24-4a7d-8939-2e3c70967c8f

Such a awesome guy
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

I think he looks a lot like Jim Brown when he runs. That's who he is the closest to in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
milanb wrote:
It looks like the charges from last summer's incident with Houston police have been dropped:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8627974/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-rb-says-arrest-charges-dropped

Police had said Peterson shoved the officer, who was working security and asked Peterson and his companions to leave the club, which was closed. Peterson said July 13 that he "didn't push, shove, touch anything to anyone that night, especially an officer."

I wonder if he and his attorney(s) are still planning to sue Houston PD

Sig courtesy of mack.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Peterson, testifying in his home town while the Vikings are on their bye week, was one of five people to speak before the unusual and surprising grand jury set up after an agreement between prosecutors and Peterson's side.

After hearing from Peterson, three employees of the Bayou Club where Peterson was arrested and one of the arresting officers, the grand jury returned a "no bill," which means Peterson's case will be dismissed. The official dismissal is expected to be filed Wednesday morning by prosecutors.

"They didn't even answer the question whether he did or didn't, it was a much bigger statement than that," Hardin said. "They found that there was no probable cause for him to even been arrested or charged. Therefore, none of that should have even happened, and his case is over."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/11/13/12/Reports-Charges-dropped-against-Peterson/landing_mnvikings.html?blockID=819257&feedID=5930

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Rotoworld:

Dr. James Andrew was astonished to find that Adrian Peterson's knee had as much wear and tear as a "newborn baby" when he operated on the freakish tailback late last December.
"I can't believe it," Andrews told Peterson's parents. "For this guy to have played as much football as he's played his whole life, and not to have hardly any wear and tear, it's incredible. I've never seen a football player, especially one who runs and cuts as much as he does, with a knee in that condition." Peterson gives the doctor credit, but insists he's just different -- "my family and genetics. Just how my body is built." Rotoworld's Pat Daugherty suggests Peterson's knees are made of rare metals found on a comet that crashed to Earth in a Norwegian forest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4169/adrian-peterson

Peppers90 on the sig.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Per Rotoworld:

Dr. James Andrew was astonished to find that Adrian Peterson's knee had as much wear and tear as a "newborn baby" when he operated on the freakish tailback late last December.
"I can't believe it," Andrews told Peterson's parents. "For this guy to have played as much football as he's played his whole life, and not to have hardly any wear and tear, it's incredible. I've never seen a football player, especially one who runs and cuts as much as he does, with a knee in that condition." Peterson gives the doctor credit, but insists he's just different -- "my family and genetics. Just how my body is built." Rotoworld's Pat Daugherty suggests Peterson's knees are made of rare metals found on a comet that crashed to Earth in a Norwegian forest.

Soooo he's an alien...?

RIP Dennis Pitta's hip. You will be missed on 3rd downs Sad
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

Yup. Can definitely see it. Peterson is far more powerful than Sayers was, but the runner style is the same.

The hips, the cuts, the agility - the way they can easily shift from running lower & making quick moves to running straight up like a sprinter. The athleticism is extremely accurate. Sayers was more dominant in his day, though.

Peterson is a more jacked Gale Sayers. I have a difficult time envisioning a more talented runner than Adrian Peterson.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Bucs00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Per Rotoworld:

Nothing against Peterson, but this kind of annoys me.

A lot of nfl players think this. only difference is that its Peterson saying this and not some average nfl player.

Yeah, he might have amazing work ethic and genetics, but the thruth is that he just got lucky this time.

he is not immortal, just overconfident.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sn0mm1s"]

When judged by YPC, the 90s were the most difficult decade to run in. Why? Dunno. I can speculate but I don't think there is ever going to be a clear answer. It

Back in the 90's the NFL didn't spread defenses out as much while safeties and linebackers were more equip to play the run game. Andy Reid coached teams have the highest yards per carry average in NFL history yet Reid has the most lopsided run pass ratio (favoring the pass) in NFL history. This tells me that passing teams that spread defenses out when it is all said and done will have a very high YPC yet that YPC may mean nothing when they actually need to muscle up and get a 4th & 1 or 3rd and goal from the 1....
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT are you guys talking about? It is much more difficult to be a RB in todays game. Why do you think Emmitts all time record is pretty much untouchable? Nobody lasts long enough.

Defenses today are that much faster and hit that much harder - careers are little several seasons shorter now than they were then. Do not give me any nonsense like "oh they werent spread out" - explain why running backs shelf low is much lower now? They run out juice faster these days than they used to, what does that tell you?

Peterson physically is a middle class mans Bo Jackson blessed with Gale Sayers style. Payton is the only other guy I have seen who could be said to be equally impressive. Peterson is amazing, he has been the NFLs best back since the second he stepped foot on the field.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucs00 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Per Rotoworld:

Nothing against Peterson, but this kind of annoys me.

A lot of nfl players think this. only difference is that its Peterson saying this and not some average nfl player.

Yeah, he might have amazing work ethic and genetics, but the thruth is that he just got lucky this time.

he is not immortal, just overconfident.

so he's no different than an average human being?

because you couldn't be more wrong.

and what is this? Harder to run in the 90's? As NBT said, the NFL has gotten bigger, better and faster since 20 years ago.

He's using a stat that says "since RBs avg this, compared to 20 years ago, obviously the defenses today are worse".

but did he think maybe RBs just got better. In a passing league, when teams are gearing towards stopping airial assaults, it gives RBs more room too. Again, thats just the defense not preparing for it.

I think to discredit Peterson because of the age of football he runs in, or to think he's just an average guy is really silly. Adrian Peterson, when its all said and done, may be the best RB ever, even if he doesn't have the stats to back it up.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: