Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Re-Sign QB McCown; Waive TE Eldridge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Bears Re-Sign QB McCown; Waive TE Eldridge Reply with quote

From Bears official twitter:
Quote:
LM: #Bears have signed QB Josh McCown and waived TE Brody Eldridge.

Expected and sensible move. Hopefully we'll stick him in at tight end.
2013 Adopt-a-Bear: LB #50 James Anderson
Tackles: 103 || Sacks: 4.0 || Forced Fumbles: 0 || Fumble Recoveries: 1
CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Really liked what I saw from McCown last year. He wasn't impersonating Brady or Rodgers, but he was efficient. If Cutler is out for an extended period of time and Campbell continues to play like he did last Sunday, I wouldn't be opposed to giving Josh a shot.

Hopefully Cutler isn't out and Campbell improves with a whole week as the starter.

On that note, though, reports came out today suggesting that this is Cutler's 6th concussion of his football career. That's definitely something to monitor, because that is very, very bad news if true.

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Bowler1215

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCown was servicable last year for us. Not great, but he got the job done.
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Bears forum and not one thread on the dirty hit Wade Phillips ordered on Bears QB Jay Cutler?

Bears will beat the 49ers on MNF if Smith is also not playing QB. Jason Campbell beats the 49er backup.

McGown is not an NFL QB.

The Bears had better fix what ever is wrong with Robbie Gould. There are 120 Div. IA college football teams. They all have kickers. About about 30-40 kickers move on each year. The CFL has kickers.
bears2308

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
This is the Bears forum and not one thread on the dirty hit Wade Phillips ordered on Bears QB Jay Cutler?

Bears will beat the 49ers on MNF if Smith is also not playing QB. Jason Campbell beats the 49er backup.

McGown is not an NFL QB.

The Bears had better fix what ever is wrong with Robbie Gould. There are 120 Div. IA college football teams. They all have kickers. About about 30-40 kickers move on each year. The CFL has kickers.

Gould hit a 50+ yarder for us. Colin Kaepernick is actually a pretty decent back-up. Some say he should start over Smith concussion or not. McCown is out 3rd stringer.

No need for a thread on the illegal hit. This isn't the Packer forum.
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

McGown is not an NFL QB.

Gould hit a 50+ yarder for us. Colin Kaepernick is actually a pretty decent back-up. Some say he should start over Smith concussion or not. McCown is out 3rd stringer.

Gould's kicks are hitting the uprights in several games. Had he converted that FG Monday night, the Bears are down by 1. Then its a game. Or is your sorority too busy to notice?

McGown is a joke QB. His job is to wear a Bears hat and flip a football on the sidelines.

And you think you know QB's better than Jim Harbaugh? Umm, Harbaugh once played QB for the Bears, Colts and Ravens. FYI

Back to the coffee klatch. Wink
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

McGown is not an NFL QB.

Gould's kicks are hitting the uprights in several games. Had he converted that FG Monday night, the Bears are down by 1. Then its a game. Or is your sorority too busy to notice?

McGown is a joke QB. His job is to wear a Bears hat and flip a football on the sidelines.

And you think you know QB's better than Jim Harbaugh? Umm, Harbaugh once played QB for the Bears, Colts and Ravens. FYI

It was a very wet and windy night, on a cut up field, from nearly 50 yards out. Not exactly the easiest kick in the world was it?

I, like a lot of other members on here, really don't get your posts sometimes...
2013 Adopt-a-Bear: LB #50 James Anderson
Tackles: 103 || Sacks: 4.0 || Forced Fumbles: 0 || Fumble Recoveries: 1
CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RidiculousJames wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
bears2308 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

McGown is not an NFL QB.

It was a very wet and windy night, on a cut up field, from nearly 50 yards out. Not exactly the easiest kick in the world was it?

I, like a lot of other members on here, really don't get your posts
sometimes...

Thanks, RJ, I wasn't sure how to respond to that one.

Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler was hit in such an obvious manner, have to wonder why no retaliation? If there was ever a Bears tradition, that was it.

And the Bears FG kicker is starting to lose it. Hold tryouts.

The oddsmakers say SF by 5. I will take Campbell at QB and the Bears in SF on MNF.

What mild mannered bunch in here. Wink
topwop1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
I Really liked what I saw from McCown last year. He wasn't impersonating Brady or Rodgers, but he was efficient. If Cutler is out for an extended period of time and Campbell continues to play like he did last Sunday, I wouldn't be opposed to giving Josh a shot.

Hopefully Cutler isn't out and Campbell improves with a whole week as the starter.

On that note, though, reports came out today suggesting that this is Cutler's 6th concussion of his football career. That's definitely something to monitor, because that is very, very bad news if true.

Not sure if serious? Don't know how much you could have expected from Campbell coming into the middle of a game against one of the NFL's best defenses in poor conditions without much of any reps in practice from the week prior. Not to mention this is his first year on this team, in this offense with these players. Heck, Jay doesn't even look fully comfortable out there yet and he's been starting all season long.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that while McCown showed he could be somewhat useful near the end of last season when the Hanie experiment blew up (not hard to look good after witnessing that disaster), he should not be counted on as more than a last resort. And btw I think Cutler should sit out this upcoming week's game no matter what if he wants to prolong his career and not be a vegetable by the time he's 50 years old.

IMO it's not a very good idea to have him starting only a week after what looked to be a pretty harsh blow to the head, when you consider he'd be going up against a ferocious defense in a hostile environment on Monday night. That's why they signed Campbell. Jason Campbell FTW!
CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

Not sure if serious? Don't know how much you could have expected from Campbell coming into the middle of a game against one of the NFL's best defenses in poor conditions without much of any reps in practice from the week prior. Not to mention this is his first year on this team, in this offense with these players. Heck, Jay doesn't even look fully comfortable out there yet and he's been starting all season long.

I understand that, that's why I said if he plays like he did on Sunday I wouldn't be opposed to play McCown. If he shows that his poor performance was because of the crap conditions and lack of prep time and improves, then all is good.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

McGown is not an NFL QB.

Robbie is as good a kicker as can be found and, arguably, the best the Bears have ever had. There is nothing wrong with him that needs fixing. He is the least of our problems.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Cutler was hit in such an obvious manner, have to wonder why no retaliation? If there was ever a Bears tradition, that was it.
What you think Ditka is the coach?

And the Bears FG kicker is starting to lose it. Hold tryouts. Robbie has missed three field goals two of which hit the uprights. I don't know how often you have been at Soldier Field but no kickers beat Robbie there. He also regularly puts the ball into the end zone on kickoffs. I haven't seen any indication that he is losing it.

The oddsmakers say SF by 5. I will take Campbell at QB and the Bears in SF on MNF.

We are used to the modern era.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

Basically what I'm trying to say is that while McCown showed he could be somewhat useful near the end of last season when the Hanie experiment blew up (not hard to look good after witnessing that disaster), he should not be counted on as more than a last resort. And btw I think Cutler should sit out this upcoming week's game no matter what if he wants to prolong his career and not be a vegetable by the time he's 50 years old.

IMO it's not a very good idea to have him starting only a week after what looked to be a pretty harsh blow to the head, when you consider he'd be going up against a ferocious defense in a hostile environment on Monday night. That's why they signed Campbell. Jason Campbell FTW!
My only concern wrt Campbell was the refusal to throw long but for the one to Marshall which he audibled into. He showed the same thing in pre-season. It was not like he was turning the ball over or doing anything real stupid just those maddening check-downs when they had to have yards.
CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
What you think Ditka is the coach?

And the Bears FG kicker is starting to lose it. Hold tryouts. Robbie has missed three field goals two of which hit the uprights. I don't know how often you have been at Soldier Field but no kickers beat Robbie there. He also regularly puts the ball into the end zone on kickoffs. I haven't seen any indication that he is losing it.

We are used to the modern era.

And I believe the other miss was blocked. Robbie is just fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: