Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Corners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Our Corners Reply with quote

I would just like to take this time to say...we got a really solid CB duo in Verner and McCourty.

McCourty's two picks the past two games have been absolutely massive. Pitt was probably going to drive and score before halftime until Jason makes a play. Buffalo was going to run out the clock until...he makes a play again. He has gotten beat twice the past two weeks, but overall he has been very solid in coverage and one of our best tacklers.

Verner has been a stud. He, in my opinion, isn't as good in man coverage as Jason (better in zone than JMac, though) but the guy doesn't even seem to get tested very often. He has yet to get "abused" by a guy all year it seems like and has made some nice plays of his own. Also a very good tackler.

Mouton sucks in coverage, but is a solid tackler. A solid NB. I would still prefer to see some nickle packages with Campbell on the outside and Verner in the slot...but the coaches never listen to deeluxx.

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Corners Reply with quote

deeluxx3 wrote:
I would just like to take this time to say...we got a really solid CB duo in Verner and McCourty.

McCourty's two picks the past two games have been absolutely massive. Pitt was probably going to drive and score before halftime until Jason makes a play. Buffalo was going to run out the clock until...he makes a play again. He has gotten beat twice the past two weeks, but overall he has been very solid in coverage and one of our best tacklers.

Verner has been a stud. He, in my opinion, isn't as good in man coverage as Jason (better in zone than JMac, though) but the guy doesn't even seem to get tested very often. He has yet to get "abused" by a guy all year it seems like and has made some nice plays of his own. Also a very good tackler.

Mouton sucks in coverage, but is a solid tackler. A solid NB. I would still prefer to see some nickle packages with Campbell on the outside and Verner in the slot...but the coaches never listen to deeluxx.

I've been waiting to see that combo ALL season long. I thought that's how it was going to go down, with McCourty and Campbell on the outside and Verner in the nickel, but I guess I thought wrong. And unfortunately you're right. The coaches never listens to deeluxx or anybody else who makes any kind of sense for that matter.
titans_5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campbell has been hurt the past couple weeks too... ive been pleased to see mouton step up and play.. also coty sensabaugh looks like he belongs in the nfl.. hes been playing well in the snaps we ve given him...

the corners and linebackers are the strength of this defense we need a couple more DEs and to get rid of the second coming of lamont thompson at safety.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans_5 wrote:
The corners and linebackers are the strength of this defense we need a couple more DEs and to get rid of the second coming of lamont thompson at safety.

Agreed. The CBs and LBs are set for the future assuming we continue with the 4-3 base defense. We need better depth at DE because all we have now is a 7th round pick, UDFA's, and journymen DE's. Balls career looks like it's over so we can't rely on him. The draft and free agency should be heavy on DE depth, safeties, LB depth, interior O-Line, and a DT if a beast is available(like Lotulelei).

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
Catitan33

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was more of a terrible pass by Fitzpatrick than a good play by mccourtney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, our corners aren't top 10 status, but I think we've got an above average player all the way down to dime. McCourty is a good player, and if he was a little more explosive, he'd be top 10. Verner is fantastic in small space and short routes, and makes amazing breaks on balls. He's too slow to really man up and cover deep routes downfield, unfortunately. When he moves into the nickel spot, though, I think he's the best nickel corner in the NFL. Mouton is a great tackler, covers ok, has great physical talent but he doesn't break on the ball well or have good hands to intercept. Campbell, when healthy, looks like he has the potential to be a great corner- definitely the best physical talent we have at CB. Sensabaugh is still a little bit of a mystery, but has looked pretty good in his limited snaps.

I was surprised when Hawkins got cut, but to be honest, I can see why. We're already four deep on guys that can play, Campbell definitely has more potential, and Mouton is definitely our best size-speed guy and a sure tackler. And Sensabaugh was definitely going to make the team.

I agree wholeheartedly with whoever said that the problem with our pass defense is no depth at defensive end. Especially no passrushing depth. Morgan is becoming a pretty good all around guy, Wimbley is a good rusher, but behind that we have nothing for pashrushing. I like Egboh, but he's definitely not a rusher.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like our CBs but I wouldn't be suprise if we drafted a CB early in the draft next year. If a CB like Dee Milliner is there when we pick then I could see us picking him. It's kinda like the WR need this past offseason. It wasn't really a big need but we picked Kendall Wright anyway.

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs

Joined Deshaun Watson bandwagon-9/27/14
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TitanSlim"] I like our CBs but I wouldn't be suprise if we drafted a CB early in the draft next year. If a CB like Dee Milliner is there when we pick then I could see us picking him. It's kinda like the WR need this past offseason. It wasn't really a big need but we picked Kendall Wright anyway. [/quote]

No. Not going to happen. Just no. We drafted Wright because the guy we expected to be our #1 (KB) was coming of a big injury (and we had [and still do to a big degree] no idea what his play would be like when he was back), Damian Williams (who I had and still have hopes for) is too dropsy to be a reliable #2, Nate is not a true #1 (he was fantastic filling in last year, but he's a wily vet #2, not a true #1), and Hawkins is nothing but a pretty decent slot guy.

Having a QB and #1 WR grow together is incredibly useful in developing a great QB. Growing a QB without any high level WRs is really tough. You need that one guy that he can always go to when things get tough. Brady-Branch, Manning-Harrison, Ryan-White, Roth-Ward, Cutler-Marshall, Stafford-Johnson and so on to infinity. Look how much worse Cutler got when they shipped Marshall away. Heck, look at VY. Having that guy builds confidence and gives a QB a comfort zone. If Britt hadn't been injured last year, I really doubt we take Wright. But with no idea how good he'd be coming back, no rapport between him and Locker, and his contract running out soon, it was a great idea to take another guy that could be a #1.

And having two #1s on a single offense is always a big plus. On the other hand, taking a CB in the first or second round when you've got great depth and just signed your #1 to a big extension is a waste. Defensive line is the position group where you can never have enough great players (see NYG and us 4-6 years ago). Right now, we could honestly go defensive end in rounds 1 and 2 and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Rotating them makes them all a lot more effective when they're on the field. It does wonders for the pass rush. We have more talent at the starters on the Dline than we did in the last two years Washburn was here, but we had so much depth and ability to rotate that those Dlines were a lot more effective. Yeah, Wash's wide 9 system helped, but so did the fact that we never had to play a guy more than 70% of the snaps. Right now Morgan and Wimbley are both playing 90% plus. For players that rely on explosiveness, that's just impossible to expect a good pash rush come 4th quarter.

DE, Safety, and maybe Star should be our top picks on defense. Mid rounds we really need depth at MLB- McCarthy is the key to our defense and not having an even average replacement has been killing us. CB is the only position on the field (and mainly DT, that's why I say Star only) where we literally do not even need to look at drafting a player.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatTitansFan wrote:
TitanSlim wrote:
I like our CBs but I wouldn't be suprise if we drafted a CB early in the draft next year. If a CB like Dee Milliner is there when we pick then I could see us picking him. It's kinda like the WR need this past offseason. It wasn't really a big need but we picked Kendall Wright anyway.

No. Not going to happen. Just no. We drafted Wright because the guy we expected to be our #1 (KB) was coming of a big injury (and we had [and still do to a big degree] no idea what his play would be like when he was back), Damian Williams (who I had and still have hopes for) is too dropsy to be a reliable #2, Nate is not a true #1 (he was fantastic filling in last year, but he's a wily vet #2, not a true #1), and Hawkins is nothing but a pretty decent slot guy.

Having a QB and #1 WR grow together is incredibly useful in developing a great QB. Growing a QB without any high level WRs is really tough. You need that one guy that he can always go to when things get tough. Brady-Branch, Manning-Harrison, Ryan-White, Roth-Ward, Cutler-Marshall, Stafford-Johnson and so on to infinity. Look how much worse Cutler got when they shipped Marshall away. Heck, look at VY. Having that guy builds confidence and gives a QB a comfort zone. If Britt hadn't been injured last year, I really doubt we take Wright. But with no idea how good he'd be coming back, no rapport between him and Locker, and his contract running out soon, it was a great idea to take another guy that could be a #1.

And having two #1s on a single offense is always a big plus. On the other hand, taking a CB in the first or second round when you've got great depth and just signed your #1 to a big extension is a waste. Defensive line is the position group where you can never have enough great players (see NYG and us 4-6 years ago). Right now, we could honestly go defensive end in rounds 1 and 2 and I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Rotating them makes them all a lot more effective when they're on the field. It does wonders for the pass rush. We have more talent at the starters on the Dline than we did in the last two years Washburn was here, but we had so much depth and ability to rotate that those Dlines were a lot more effective. Yeah, Wash's wide 9 system helped, but so did the fact that we never had to play a guy more than 70% of the snaps. Right now Morgan and Wimbley are both playing 90% plus. For players that rely on explosiveness, that's just impossible to expect a good pash rush come 4th quarter.

DE, Safety, and maybe Star should be our top picks on defense. Mid rounds we really need depth at MLB- McCarthy is the key to our defense and not having an even average replacement has been killing us. CB is the only position on the field (and mainly DT, that's why I say Star only) where we literally do not even need to look at drafting a player.

I'll just list some reasons why it wouldn't shock me if we drafted a CB early

-Mouton will be a free agent this upcoming offseason, so who knows if we'll keep him
-Verner will be a free agent in 2014 so there's a slight chance he'll become a free agent
-Verner is better as a nickel imo.
-The Safety position is more of a need, however we did recently sign Griffin to that putrid contract. As bad as he's been, I think they'll keep him for atleast another year. I think we'd draft another S in the middle rounds.
-Are our CBs anymore different than our 2011 WRs? Verner like Washington would do better as a #3. Campbell has been just as inconsistent as Damian Williams. Mouton is nothing but a decent nickel like Hawkins. Sensabaugh looks good as a STer a decent CB similar to Mariani pre injury.
-Like the WR position, having two #1 CBs is a big plus.
-We also just went through a draft where we completely ignored our biggest need(interior oline), so it wouldn't be too outrageous to think they may do it again with the d-line position.

If we're picking in the top 5 (which is doubtful) then I don't think there's anyway we'd pick a CB with the potential talent that will be available. However if we're picking 8-20, I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted a CB.
It's still a long ways way but it'll be interesting once April comes around.

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs

Joined Deshaun Watson bandwagon-9/27/14
Chocolateman78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team needs smarter, tougher safeties and more pass rush help. The corners are fine.

**RIP Steve McNair**
s_camp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolateman78 wrote:
The team needs smarter, tougher safeties and more pass rush help. The corners are fine.

They needed those things last year, too, but didn't look into it until the 6th and 7th rounds.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Chocolateman78 wrote:

They needed those things last year, too, but didn't look into it until the 6th and 7th rounds.

Well maybe they'll smarten up this year and actually go after needs in the 1st couple rounds.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
TitanSS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think it is outrageous that we would draft a star CB in the first round you are not watching our defense play. Ryan Mouton is on the field a lot as our Nickel and has been equally as bad as Michael Griffin. The majority the Colts completions came against Mouton. Verner is an outstanding tackler, great in close coverage, and is basically the perfect nickel corner, yet we keep him outside because our corners outside of the first two are too terrible to play outside.

Drafting Dee Milliner in the first round would be outstanding for our team. The pass rush was the same today as it has been all year long... it doesn't look bad at all but the coverage is so goddamn terrible over the middle that any quarterback is able to get it away in time. If we're picking between 5-10 in the draft... Dee Milliner would be an amazing pickup followed by a top interior OL early in the second round.

Something has to be done to get Ryan Mouton off the field.. he tackles very well for a CB, but I am more comfortable with McCarthy and Ayers in coverage than I am Mouton.
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG GUYS, OUR NICKEL CORNER CAN'T SHUT DOWN REGGIE WAYNE?! GUYZ LETZ DRAFT A CORNER IN THE 1ST ROUND CUZ THAT MAKES ME SADDDDDDDD.

Seriously. Stop attacking a strawman argument- a shutdown corner will help any defense in the NFL.

My point, which you ignored totally, was that CB is clearly the best position group on our defense, and unless a CB is by far the BPA when we draft in the 1st and 2nd round, it would be absolutely idiotic to draft one. We have zero depth at DE, zero playable depth at linebacker, especially at middle (spoon is washed up and the rest are just ST players), a 32 year old at one safety position and a continuously underperforming player at the other.

And you want us to spend our 1st round pick on CB?

You know we play zone right? And that corners are a lot easier to find for zone than man? And that we only have 2 defensive ends capable of rushing the passer? Hmmm. Let's see, we've got 4 corners we know can play fairly well, and a 4th round rookie from this year, but only 2 playable defensive ends... I know, we should draft MOAR CORNERS.

And where is this "Campbell is inconsistent" stuff coming from? He's been injured for games and barely played this year. Not to mention he's a SECOND YEAR PLAYER. Who was really raw, but is physically gifted. And nevermind we have another guy like that, Sensabaugh, that we just drafted. And a guy on the PS, Hawkins, who looked pretty damn good subbing in last year.

God, I hope you become a GM someday. You can be Matt Millen, but with Corners instead of Wideouts. "Here, let me ignore all the other problems on my team and just draft the same spot over and over!" At least Millen had the excuse that the WRs he drafted kept busting, so he needed to draft new ones.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think our pass rush was better today than it has been in a while.
The DL was consistently in Luck's face, especially in the 2nd half. But with guys open down field like they were, he didn't have to hesitate when throwing.

Most times that was directed at Mouton. Just like we targeted their one guy ( his name escapes me) look like they were after Mouton.
He was the worst defender in coverage today and historically is...

Sensabaugh is a viable replacement, no need to draft high and blow it up unless its the best pick...
A season under his belt hopefully he can step up..

Last edited by KingTitan on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: