Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Impressions at the bye week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Impressions at the bye week Reply with quote

So, where are we at the bye week? Thought I’d toss in my opinion so here goes.
Defense:
Secondary; Vastly improved from last year, thanks mainly to the development of our youngsters, Moore, Harris and Carter and the addition of Porter. Adams is a heady player, but just has physical limitations that keep him from being a long term answer.

LB Corp: Seems to be our weakest Defensive link. On the plus side, Von is far more rounded than last year and we’re getting good contributions from our younger players. On the negative side, we desperately need a long term answer at MLB and WW, as much as he’s improved in the run game shouldn’t be viewed as a full time starter.

DL: Unlike many here I’m really pleased with our DL compared to last year. Big Vick has really stepped up, Unrein is showing he can be a solid rotational player, Wolfe is showing why we drafted him so high and we’ve got more youth and raw talent at the end’s than we’ve had for a while. Still room for improvement but I like the direction.

Offense:
QB: Not much to say here. By far, the most improved area on our team.

RB: Almost a wash from last year, but Hillman may yet change that. Really disappointed that Moreno can’t even crack our top 3. What a wasted #1.

WR’s: Our starting group has been very good, and DT is starting to really assert himself. Depth is a real issue though. We could use some serious upgrades in the off season. Stokely won’t play forever and it would be nice to have someone challenge Decker for more playing time.

TE’s: Solid but not flashy. Good contributions from our FA’s.

OL: Really hard to rate this group with the injuries they’ve sustained. Walton was really coming along, but Koppen has helped fill that gap. Clady’s returned to “all pro” form. Hopefully Franklin will benefit from the return of Kuper. Beadles still can’t anchor against power DT’s. Blake’s been quite a disappointment. Our depth is just not good. Hopefully we can help that through the draft.

Special Teams:
Wouldn’t trade our kicking games for anyone’s. Our coverage units have been quite good and con’t really improve on Prater. Our return game still leaves something to be desired.

Over all we’re much improved as a team, both in talent and attitude. Hard to say how far we can go, but right now I’d say Denver has to be one of the scariest teams in the NFL. We’ve shown flashes of brilliance on both sides of the ball and if we can become more consistent…………….? Who knows.
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Impressions at the bye week Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
So, where are we at the bye week? Thought I’d toss in my opinion so here goes.
Defense:
Secondary; Vastly improved from last year, thanks mainly to the development of our youngsters, Moore, Harris and Carter and the addition of Porter. Adams is a heady player, but just has physical limitations that keep him from being a long term answer.

LB Corp: Seems to be our weakest Defensive link. On the plus side, Von is far more rounded than last year and we’re getting good contributions from our younger players. On the negative side, we desperately need a long term answer at MLB and WW, as much as he’s improved in the run game shouldn’t be viewed as a full time starter.

DL: Unlike many here I’m really pleased with our DL compared to last year. Big Vick has really stepped up, Unrein is showing he can be a solid rotational player, Wolfe is showing why we drafted him so high and we’ve got more youth and raw talent at the end’s than we’ve had for a while. Still room for improvement but I like the direction.

Offense:
QB: Not much to say here. By far, the most improved area on our team.

RB: Almost a wash from last year, but Hillman may yet change that. Really disappointed that Moreno can’t even crack our top 3. What a wasted #1.

WR’s: Our starting group has been very good, and DT is starting to really assert himself. Depth is a real issue though. We could use some serious upgrades in the off season. Stokely won’t play forever and it would be nice to have someone challenge Decker for more playing time.

TE’s: Solid but not flashy. Good contributions from our FA’s.

OL: Really hard to rate this group with the injuries they’ve sustained. Walton was really coming along, but Koppen has helped fill that gap. Clady’s returned to “all pro” form. Hopefully Franklin will benefit from the return of Kuper. Beadles still can’t anchor against power DT’s. Blake’s been quite a disappointment. Our depth is just not good. Hopefully we can help that through the draft.

Special Teams:
Wouldn’t trade our kicking games for anyone’s. Our coverage units have been quite good and con’t really improve on Prater. Our return game still leaves something to be desired.

Over all we’re much improved as a team, both in talent and attitude. Hard to say how far we can go, but right now I’d say Denver has to be one of the scariest teams in the NFL. We’ve shown flashes of brilliance on both sides of the ball and if we can become more consistent…………….? Who knows.

-Adams is playing out of position. He is a good tackler and can make plays in the run game, but he is exposed when trying to cover elite TE's. We really lack a physical SS type that can match up against these types of players.

-I almost hate to say it, but this team needs DJ Williams. It will be interesting to see what they do with him next year. He is a 6 million dollar cap hit in 2013. He will be playing for that 6 million for the remainder of the season. If the Broncos don't address their LBer corp in the draft or FA I will be shocked. I can't imagine Mays stays at the 3-4 million he is due to get next year. Irving, Trevathan, Johnson and Woodyard aren't the answer either. There is a serious lack of talent other than Von Miller.

-I also like the D-line. I expect Malik JAckson to make a step forward by next season. He showed alot of promise in the preseason and has worked his way into the rotation in recent weeks. Don't be surprised if he breaks out late this year or next.

-PFM

-I am excited to see if Hillman can break out in the next few weeks. He will be fresh and has showed a slight glimpse. Still think he might have been a reach at 67 overall.

-The wideouts are great. DT is going to be a star. He is still learning how to play the position and already has ridiculous numbers in his last 12 games.

-Very deep group at TE. Signing Tamme and Dressen has allowed the Broncos to bring Green and Thomas along slowly. I like the present and future prospects.

-Alot can be said by this groups performance. Manning has been upright all year and the running game is effective for the most part. Most everyone wanted to make wholesale changes in the offseason, but the Broncos didn't do much and it seems to be the correct choice.

-Special Teams have been good other than the return game. If they can eliminate the turnovers the big returns will be a bonus with this offense.

Overall I see the Broncos trending upward throught the rest of the season. It truly is a change from the teams pre John Fox. Got to play your best ball when the clock is ticking down.
mke1010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions pls.

Do you think DJ could come in after week 9 and take over at MLB? By playoff time, he could be in very good form. He has played MLB for us before and I think he would be better than anyone we have now.

Second, do you see Danny Trevathon as a possible starter at weakside linebacker down the line? If yes, do you think he can be a very good one as opposed to Wesley who is average at best. Do you see Trevathon as having better instincts and starter capability than Woodyard? Cheers.
germ-x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few things i disagree with.

1. I think Mike Adams has been a valuable pickup. His ability in coverage, especially the fact that he can match up man to man i think is right up there with adding Tracy Porter as a reason the secondary has improved. With the NFL passing like it does a capable safety in man to man coverage pays dividends. Though i do agree, he has limitations and isn't a long term solution.

2. I think the OL has been good this season. Much like last year, i think you nitpick a little bit. They aren't world beaters, but it is a solid group of players that has done a good job. I also think Denver's depth, at least along the interior is strong. Heck, they've shown it to be so. Ramirez/Koppen have stepped in for injured players and the team hasn't missed too many beats.
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Two questions pls.

Do you think DJ could come in after week 9 and take over at MLB? By playoff time, he could be in very good form. He has played MLB for us before and I think he would be better than anyone we have now.

Second, do you see Danny Trevathon as a possible starter at weakside linebacker down the line? If yes, do you think he can be a very good one as opposed to Wesley who is average at best. Do you see Trevathon as having better instincts and starter capability than Woodyard? Cheers.
I think DJ best fits at the weakside. That is where he should stay. What matters most to me is that DJ can return to play in nickle situations with Woodyard. That is where we miss him the most. DJ can play the run from the nickle better than any other player on out roster. Trevathan is much like Woodyard as far as I can see. Fast and rangy, but easily nullified by good blocking and general inside clutter.

We ned more talent at LBer and I don't see anything drastic hanging other than DJ coming back.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
Just a few things i disagree with.

1. Though i do agree, he has limitations and isn't a long term solution.

2. Much like last year, i think you nitpick a little bit. .

As far as item 1, we do agree. I like him too, but he's not the answer.

I plead guilty to number 2, but in my defense, at least I'm consistent. I always nitpick the OL. Wink
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree that LB in our Nickel package is a big concern, just as it was last year when DJ was playing. A Luke Kuechly clone would be lovely; he has been fantastic the last two weeks as the Panthers MLB in their base and of course he stays on the field for all 3 downs.

MUFC OK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: