Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hindsight is 20/20
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Hindsight is 20/20 Reply with quote

The thread about Lovie Smith got me thinking about the ideas we have had here as a forum regarding signing players, drafting players, trades, coaches, etc. that never happened, and in hindsight it's a good thing they didn't.

The purpose of this thread is to rehash some of the TERRIBLE ideas we have had as a forum; not the blunders of JA or Lovie Smith, but the would-be blunders had the McCaskey's hired the collective Football's Future Bears Forum as general manger 5 years ago.

I'll start with one that I was a huge proponent of 2 years ago...

Braylon Edwards. In the lockout offseason when Braylon hit the open market he remained untouched for months, and we wondered why. He ultimately signed with the 49ers for a one-year deal worth $1M.

That's not so bad, little commitment and little risk. That wouldn't have held the Bears back at all had they done that. The problem here is that I wasn't pushing for that kind of contract, I wanted to sign the guy for 5 years and $40M or $50M! Edwards went on to record 15 receptions for 181 yards with the 9ers before signing with the Seahawks this offseason for a similar contract.

In my proposed deal we would still have over 3 years of Braylon and a massive salary on our books...oh, and no Brandon Marshall. Thank god I wasn't the GM then.

Whattaya got?

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was a major "fire Lovie guy" turns out he can really coach and he has an 23-10 record with his starting QB since.

I thought Tillman was done and should be moved to safety.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Well apart from thinking the Conte pick was terrible…and then the E-Rod pick…

And being too loyal to players who had been hit by injury like Tommie Harris & Mike Brown…trying to not do that with Urlacher this year.

Last edited by Madmike90 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a real big "we NEED to sign this guy" unless its a surefire homerun. But I've been real high on a few busts in the draft, especially Chad Henne who is one of my few QB misses. I thought for sure in 08 we would trade back into the first and grab Henne. Happy to be wrong.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the hype over Taylor Mays? I saw him going as high as 5th overall in mock drafts, and he ended up going in the 3rd round and getting traded a year later.

I also remember there was a OG from Ohio State a few years back that I wanted really bad and was mocking him to us in the 2nd round....he ended up going in the 6th round. Laughing

It's a good thing I'm not GM, I would have run this team into the ground.

AZBearsFan wrote:

Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Remember the hype over Taylor Mays? I saw him going as high as 5th overall in mock drafts, and he ended up going in the 3rd round and getting traded a year later.

I also remember there was a OG from Ohio State a few years back that I wanted really bad and was mocking him to us in the 2nd round....he ended up going in the 6th round. Laughing

Yeah Justin Boren...I feel for that one too lol...

I also remember some saying John Moffitt would be much better than him...both seemed to have turned out to be nothing...then there was Jake Kirkpatrick...

I think most of that came out of desperation for just someone...anyone to help the Oline lol.
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

I also remember some saying John Moffitt would be much better than him...both seemed to have turned out to be nothing...then there was Jake Kirkpatrick...

I think most of that came out of desperation for just someone...anyone to help the Oline lol.

Yeah I remember those days haha. Were still essentially in the same place, we've just gotten used to it. Laughing

AZBearsFan wrote:

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

Nothing will ever top the Duke Robinson meltdown in here on draft day.

CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

haha oh boy I remember that, that was shortly after I joined iirc.

AZBearsFan wrote:

Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
CBears019 wrote:

haha oh boy I remember that, that was shortly after I joined iirc.
I'll never forget, I didn't watch Robinson much in college prior to that BCS championship game against the Gators. He was absolutely destroyed all game long, so I didn't get a good first impression of him. Then I watched him in the senior bowl, and it was even worse. I said to myself, he can't play football in the NFL there is no way. I put on record I thought he was darn near undraftable. I was continuously ridiculed and told he was a mid 2nd round pick at worst. That he was definitely going in the first round. And then I watched it all unfold on draft day in here, the amount of people that lost their mind, round, after round that the Bears continued to pass on Robinson, it was lulzy in here.

pigsooie5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since were talking Olineman, I truely felt Kris O'Dowd would be a franchise Center in the NFL. I had him mocked to us in the 3rd round, he went undrafted and has yet to play in an NFL game. I specifically remember argueing with MM90 on O'Dowd over Wisniewski...boy was I wrong.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Adopt-A-Bear: Kyle Long, Guard
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braylon Edwards OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER...

Matt Jones, OMG HE'S TALL AND SOOOOO FAST!

Hank Baskett. Marvin Harrison.

Every other free agent that 31 teams didn't want, but supposedly the Bears were idiots for not signing.

I'll list two of mine: Ebon Britton and Brian Robiskie, who I wanted as the 1 and 2s before the Cutler trade.

How about Jake Kirkpatrick as a 2nd or 3rd round pick last year (some people had him as a 1st), HUGE uproar when they took Conte in the 3rd and turning into a starter, and Kirkpatrick wound up going undrafted and now isn't even on a practice squad, let alone a roster.

Taylor Mays. Then, "sign Taylor Mays and move him to LB."

"The defense needs to switch to a 3-4 attacking D that plays press man," at least two or three times per year.

How about "Beekman is better than Omiyale?" Talk about splitting hairs.

Logan Mankins. Not because he's not awesome, but because it was never going to happen. And now, lump Jake Long into this.

Brian Waters.

"We need to sign Orlando Pace" before the Bears actually went out and signed Orlando Pace.

Forum members getting angry that other forum members wouldn't donate money to the people who put that "Fire Everybody" billboard over the Edens after the 2009 season.

The idea that Bill Cowher wouldn't be able to turn down the Bears HC job, even though the Bears were going into a draft where they didn't have a pick until 75th overall, but "the fans would understand that 2010 would be a rebuilding year."

I know I'm forgetting about a LOT here...
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Jones...I was part of that camp.Same with signing Brandon Meriweather.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I joined this board in June 2009, so I don't know what was going on here pre-Cutler, but the forum I used to post on was nuts for every single QB coming out of college, but rarely any of the good ones. During 2008, the favorites were: Colt Brennan, Andre Woodson, Brian Brohm, Chad Henne, John David Booty. 2009: Curtis Painter, Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, Pat White, and amazingly people were talking about Freeman just a little bit.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

How about "Beekman is better than Omiyale?" Talk about splitting hairs.
I still think Beekman is a better LG than Omiyale. Honestly at 6'0 165 lbs, I'm a better LG than Omiyale.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: