Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wow Hurney is gone
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Wow Hurney is gone Reply with quote

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Firing season starting early: Panthers announced that GM Maryy Hurney, a classy man, has been relieved of his duties.

Edit: Here's a link. -boondock

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000083684/article/carolina-panthers-fire-general-manager-marty-hurney

Thanks CK
panther dude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw on Mike and Mike a few minutes ago, Holy crap I cant imagine the change that's going to go on Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deangelo gets released this off season?

Rivera gets the axe this off season also?

-Lork
Sir_Purrr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty shocking. I thought if there was anyone who had job security on this team I would have bet the house that it was Hurney. I would be homeless right now.
3428fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. Its about time. I give him credit for his 1st round draft picks but its time to go in a new direction

carolina kitten on the crazy sig
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the coaches would be gone today if they could find replacement ones but you really can't in the middle of the season. So I look for a full house cleaning this offseason

Thanks CK
scraly47*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
I think the coaches would be gone today if they could find replacement ones but you really can't in the middle of the season. So I look for a full house cleaning this offseason

who do you think are the best candidates available next year?

-Lork
Grange90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:

Bad idea. We just clean house 2 years ago, doing that will destroy the consistency of the team. We could end up like the Browns if they keep changing every 2 years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the highest payrolls and a horrible record and no winning record since 08.....it was bound to happen

NC SacKing wrote:
This isn't Madden, this isn't fantasy football, and complaining about it on the internet does NOTHING
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want know who all is available till end of the year.

The new GM will want his coaches not ours that dont use the weapons they have.

This will set us back a couple years but everyone except me wanted it.

Thanks CK
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Can't wait to find out who the new GM will be.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could really see them making a splash and hiring Chip Kelly to work with Cam Newton. Shocked

I'd love to watch every Panther game if that happened.

I'd be very disappointed as a Ducks fan tho.

Sig bet
johnydtarheel

What good GM's are available? Browns guy is on the way out.

Thanks CK
shaX 07

This is a great move. They should have done this when they let Fox and his staff go. That was a critical mistake.

I wouldn't necessarily count Rivera out of the job just yet. Don't forget that Chargers GM AJ Smith and head coach Norv Turner are both on the hot seat this year and could surely be let go in the off-season. If AJ Smith were in the running for our GM job, I can see him keeping Rivera and bringing in Norv Turner as well.

I'm not saying I wish that to happen, by any means, i'm just saying its a possibility since all of these guys have worked together for many years and the Chargers have had some success under this Regime (5 AFC West Division Titles I believe).

The drafting philosophy is definitely enough of a reason to make this change. Yeah you can say that he did hit on a few picks, but there's so much scouting data on players these days that I bet the average Joe in the stands could probably put together a computerized odds based draft philosophy that could accurately make a few good picks.

It's time for change and I like the move. I like it even more coming during the season. Now we have the league's execs on notice and anybody looking for a GM Job is going to have us as the first on their radar.

Last edited by shaX 07 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!

This is only step one though, this won't matter unless they bring in someone who can think for themselves. No more puppets for JR. Leave the GM responsibilities to someone who knows football.

This is pretty surprising that it's midseason, but it had a high chance of happening at some point. Hurney wasn't even under contract.

I have to believe Rivera and the staff are also on the hot seat. I hope they don't credit any late season rallies too much. This team has to be able to play with expectations.

shaX 07 wrote:
This is a great move. They should done this when they Fox and his staff go. That was a critical mistake.

I wouldn't necessarily count Rivera out of the job just yet. Don't forget that Chargers GM AJ Smith and head coach Norv Turner are both on the hot seat this year and could surely be let go in the off-season. If AJ Smith were in the running for our GM job, I can see him keeping Rivera and bringing in Norv Turner as well.

I'm not saying I wish that to happen, by any means, i'm just saying its a possibility since all of these guys have worked together for many years and the Chargers have had some success under this Regime (5 AFC West Division Titles I believe).

The drafting philosophy is definitely enough of a reason to make this change. Yeah you can say that he did hit on a few picks, but there's so much scouting data on players these days that I bet the average Joe in the stands could probably put together a computerized odds based draft philosophy that could accurately make a few good picks.

It's time for change and I like the move. I like it even more coming during the season. Now we have the league's execs on notice and anybody looking for a GM Job is going to have us as the first on their radar.

Yeah, Hurney really wasn't that great at drafting. Some later rounders showed, but I'm not impressed by selecting LB and RB 5 of the last 7 times in the first round. Those positions just aren't worth premium picks anymore (even though I like Luke a lot and he's looking great).

AJ Smith could be on the way out, depending on how the Chargers go. Like I said above, this team needs a GM that has his own plans and doesn't give away money and draft picks. AJ Smith is that mold. I wouldn't hate picking him up. His draft record is much better than Hurney's.

Who knows what he'll do, he's just an example of the type I think this team needs.

Last edited by Moody on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: