Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to Give Jonte Green Some Credit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
A Detroit based article pimping up their guy. Say it aint so.

He was decent but I would rather see Smith or Bentley starting

FWIW, ProFootballFocus.com had him graded at a +1.4 and a +1.2 in the last two games. Take away week 1 where he allowed 2 long receptions, and he has the fourth highest per-snap PFF rating in the league amongst players that have played more snaps than him.

Now, I'm not fool enough to suggest that he's some hidden superstar, but he's strung together a couple good games and there is definitely some reason to be optimistic.

I've been waiting for you to come around and post your numbers.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you can't be super optimistic or impressed by what he's done, he's at least showing improvement, which is nice considering most of our team seems to have regressed.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Even if you can't be super optimistic or impressed by what he's done, he's at least showing improvement, which is nice considering most of our team seems to have regressed.

Absolutely, which is why I say he's mediocre. I haven't said he's garbage or needs to be cut. But he's very very raw and needs lots of work. When our secondary is completely healthy, he's not even one of our top 5 DBs. He's below average on our horrible secondary. He's average at best. Somehow that's being disrespectful according to some.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Laimbrane wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
A Detroit based article pimping up their guy. Say it aint so.

He was decent but I would rather see Smith or Bentley starting

FWIW, ProFootballFocus.com had him graded at a +1.4 and a +1.2 in the last two games. Take away week 1 where he allowed 2 long receptions, and he has the fourth highest per-snap PFF rating in the league amongst players that have played more snaps than him.

Now, I'm not fool enough to suggest that he's some hidden superstar, but he's strung together a couple good games and there is definitely some reason to be optimistic.

I've been waiting for you to come around and post your numbers.

Glad I didn't disappoint. Wink
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm the numbers guy, PFF graded Green out at a 1.6 (with a 2.2 in coverage). According to them, he allowed 1 catch to Tate on three total targets (for 10 yards), with a PD, giving up a 43.8 passer rating. He's now the 29th rated corner in the league by their system, which doesn't average anything out per snap or per game.

Again, early... but why not? He's played well, so give the boy his due, I say.

(On a side note, Durant allowed at least 1 reception to seven different players. I thought it was funny.)
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got owned on the Marshawn Lynch TD from what I saw.

In coverage, can't remember screaming at him, so that's something.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
Got owned on the Marshawn Lynch TD from what I saw.

In coverage, can't remember screaming at him, so that's something.

The whole team got owned on that run. We had more guys on the ground than we had standing.

I also don't remember yelling at him and he made a great breakup in the ends one against a much bigger TE.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
ManeLine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
Since I'm the numbers guy, PFF graded Green out at a 1.6 (with a 2.2 in coverage). According to them, he allowed 1 catch to Tate on three total targets (for 10 yards), with a PD, giving up a 43.8 passer rating. He's now the 29th rated corner in the league by their system, which doesn't average anything out per snap or per game.

(On a side note, Durant allowed at least 1 reception to seven different players. I thought it was funny.)

Incredible. If you don't mind, can you tell me what Houston's numbers are?

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:

That's my boy!

Only negative play yesterday was a questionable PI call that lead to a big gain.

Now both of his starts this year have been better than any of Lacey's or Bentley's.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had 3 bad plays. The PI, the Lynch run and the Turbin catch where they were at their own goal line.

Overall, not a bad game.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
He had 3 bad plays. The PI, the Lynch run and the Turbin catch where they were at their own goal line.

Overall, not a bad game.

According to Laim's PFF numbers he only gave up one catch, and that was to Tate, so I don't know what Turbin catch you're talking about.

That Lynch run is on the entire defense, can't blame Jonte for that one.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
carlande

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Laimbrane wrote:

That's my boy!

Only negative play yesterday was a questionable PI call that lead to a big gain.

Now both of his starts this year have been better than any of Lacey's or Bentley's.

That PI call was correct. As a defensive back you have to turn your head and play the ball. Not only that but he arm barred the guy, clothes-lining him as he was leaping up to catch the ball. He was burned and had no idea when the ball was coming so he waited for Rice to jump and shoved him away.

The entire Lions secondary was lucky that 2 bombs by Seattle weren't hauled in. Rice broke the entire secondary on one play. I'm not sure if Jonte was covering him or who it was, but they were an inch away from losing the game if Rice catches that.

This secondary hasn't faced an elite QB yet. Alex Smith/Vick/Bradford/Locker/Ponder/Wilson.... I wouldn't put much stock in those numbers Laim.
tytalton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did Ricardo Silva grade out? I always liked the guy and he is getting PT now so I am a bit optimistic at this point! And that is a stretch for me....
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw this in there as well - Florence and Green are 3rd and 4th in the league in coverage snaps per reception. I'm really happy Florence is back to practicing this week.

ManeLine wrote:

Incredible. If you don't mind, can you tell me what Houston's numbers are?

Without giving away too much, Houston is 14th in the league among guys that have seen more than 25% of their team snaps. He has an average passer rating of 61.8, which is 17th. Best of all, he's 5th in the league in YAC.

Tyalton wrote:

How did Ricardo Silva grade out? I always liked the guy and he is getting PT now so I am a bit optimistic at this point! And that is a stretch for me....

Silva had a good game, and that interception helped. He graded negatively against the run, but positively against the pass. He gave up a 43.8 passer rating, which, again was helped tremendously by that interception.

Houston, Green, Florence, Smith, Delmas, Spievey, and Silva, have all graded positively in coverage this year. Houston, Green, Delmas, and Spievey have graded positively against the run, but other than Houston, only barely.

Carlande is right, though - the Lions haven't exactly been playing elite QBs or against elite WRs. But for the most part they're doing what they're supposed to be doing, and that's an improvement.
WillieYoungSon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Time to Give Jonte Green Some Credit Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
There was a lot of negative talk about what might happen in Jonte Green's first start. I just read the following article on mlive.com that evaluated his performance:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/10/detroit_lions_second_look_eval.html#incart_river

He actually played a solid game and wasn't protected or babied. I listened to the game on the radio so I didn't see the game but I hope he can continue to be solid. I saw a clip of his sack on Cutler and thought it was a pretty heads-up play. I know it is onfly one start but it definitely bodes well for his future. What did everyone else think about his performance?

I have been one of Jonte's biggest naysayers, but he has played pretty well. He tackles well and covers short and intermediate routes ok. He just cannot cover the deep ball. He has zero awareness of where the ball is when it is thrown resulting in a catch or a penalty every single time. Besides that, Jonte has actually turned out to be a good pick. He shouldnt ever start on the outside, but he'll be a hell of a nickle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: