Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Spikes become our best linebacker?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Has Spikes become our best linebacker? Reply with quote

Week after week he not only does a great job stuffing the run, he has developed as a blitzer. The best of him though is his intangibles. He is a mauler in the middle who seems to always be making game saving (or should be game saving) plays for us. Like welker, it's awesome how he always has monster games for us in big games. He never disappears and is always forcing the issue.

The flip side of this is obviously where does he rank compared to mayo. Mayo has been a leader and really good for us, but while he is superior in coverage, he never seems to make those game alternating plays. He is good against the run but I personally dont get the feel of gamechanger when I watch him.

Who do you got?

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all have different skill sets. But he's becoming my fav. Definitely developing into a play maker in the backfield.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
finn54

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no, because his pass coverage is pretty poor. He's definitely my favorite though, and he's an extremely valuable member of the defense. The amount of TFL's he racks up is staggering, and he's probably the #1 playmaker on the team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, He might not be good in coverage but really their LB's cant cover. Mayo agian just watches the ball go right past his head, while lookin right at the QB.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Finn. Spikes is a great playmaker, but his below average coverage skills (something which this team desperately needs) make him less valuable than Mayo.

Spikes has also had five penalties called on him, which also decreases his value.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKOhitter8737 wrote:
Yes, He might not be good in coverage but really their LB's cant cover. Mayo agian just watches the ball go right past his head, while lookin right at the QB.

Mayo's not great in coverage but he's serviceable. Seems to have the technique down too, never fouls when he does the wrap around and deflect thing. For a linebacker who's also strong against the run, we could do far worse.

Spikes is great at what he does, and is possibly my favorite player on the team right now. But as long as he's an abject liability in space I wouldn't say he's better than Mayo.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is discouraging to think that I run a significantly faster 40 than him, but I think he is. He is a beast.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a "best" linebacker on our team.

They are all good at different things. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Mayo is the best all around linebacker.

Spikes is the best at making clutch plays, big hits, and stuffs.

Hightower will probably be the best blitzing linebacker.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikes has been a liability in coverage, but his value as a run defender is so high that you have to take the bad with the good. He's probably slightly better at the old Ted Johnson 'Jack' role than Ted Johnson was. Great instincts and great strength at the POA, but he's not going to get any faster, so expecting him to cover TEs down the seam will always be a losing proposition.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Spikes has been a liability in coverage, but his value as a run defender is so high that you have to take the bad with the good.

True, but today's NFL and the prevalence of spread offenses and pass-heavy attacks makes Spikes less valuable than a guy like Johnson was a decade+ ago.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Spikes has been a liability in coverage, but his value as a run defender is so high that you have to take the bad with the good.

True, but today's NFL and the prevalence of spread offenses and pass-heavy attacks makes Spikes less valuable than a guy like Johnson was a decade+ ago.
He's a pretty adept blitzer, too, so that raises his value against the pass a bit. Probably best to use him sparingly so offenses can't key in on him and neutralize him on passing downs. But he's not strictly a 2-down guy.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

He's a pretty adept blitzer, too, so that raises his value against the pass a bit. Probably best to use him sparingly so offenses can't key in on him and neutralize him on passing downs. But he's not strictly a 2-down guy.

Its too bad, because his instincts in coverage are tremendous. If his legs would allow him to cover to his natural ability, I don't know if I'd take a single inside linebacker in the NFL over him.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my AAP I am very proud of Spikes and his all-around game has been one of the few bright spots on the D.

Check out his stats in my sig Laughing

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikes may not technically be the "best" Linebacker on our team....

But I think he is the most IMPORTANT linebacker on our team. His personality and attitude is the polar opposite of Wilfork and Mayo. Spikes is fiery, energetic, vocal.

He's an intimidator who won't get pushed around or bullied.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that like Mayo or Wilfork would let themselves get "pushed around and bullied". Assuming you mean on the field, I can't remember the last time Wilfork was invisible for a game. He's always doing something. Mayo too, maybe less so though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: