Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Lions Salary Cap (updated 1/23/13)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: 2013 Lions Salary Cap (updated 1/23/13) Reply with quote

I will go through with 2013 cap hits position by position with a small analysis for each group as well.

note: data from thenetrat.com -- all his numbers are listed as "Good" currently (1/23/13); they came from the Dave Birkett and are as reliable as we're going to get.

Offense

QB
Matthew Stafford: $20,320,000
Shaun Hill: $3,250,000
Kellen Moore: $486,666

Total Investment QB: $24,056,666
Diagnosis: Hard to see much changing here. Stafford is the guy, Hill is a great backup, Moore is the developmental replacement for Hill. It is time to extend Stafford, which could save a significant proportion of his 2013 cap hit, depending on how much his new signing bonus is.

RB
Jahvid Best: $1,976,500
Keiland Williams: UFA
Kevin Smith: UFA
Mikel LeShoure: $936,594
Joique Bell: eRFA
Shaun Chapas: eRFA
Devin Moore: $480,000

Total Investment RB: $3,393,094
Diagnosis: I think the Lions will most likely tender Bell as eRFA, which should be a little over half a million.

Cutting Best will cost about a 300k increase to the cap - saving his 800k salary but penalizing the 1.1m signing bonus allocation of 2014. Retiring has the same cap implications. My personal belief is that he's done.

That being said, look for the Lions to try to acquire a speedster in the draft to take Best's role, preferably later in the draft somewhere.

WR
Calvin Johnson: $12,201,000
Nate Burleson: $6,531,641
Ryan Broyles: $836,023
Stefan Logan: UFA
Titus Young: $1,243,997
Kassim Osgood: UFA
Mike Thomas: $1,500,000
Terrence Austin: $555,000
Patrick Edwards: $418,334
Troy Burrell: $405,667
Dominique Curry: $555,000
Lance Long: $480,000
Brian Robiskie: $715,000
Chastin West: $480,000
Kris Durham: eRFA

Total Investment: $25,921,662
Diagnosis:
Nate Burleson might be looked at as a cap casualty as they would save about $3 million off the cap with his release in 2013 and have his $7 million 2014 hit entirely off the books. Broyles getting injured makes this more difficult, but I still think it's going to happen.

I can't see Logan coming back and Osgood has been almost unnoticeable on special teams. I'm not going to factor either of them into our future at this point. The "Best" type might be added here as well. Most of the guys here are just fodder, although I still have some hope for Patrick Edwards.

Note: Restructuring Johnson would save apx. $3.5 million this season and have a minimal impact over the course of the contract. Hard to see this not happening.

TE
Brandon Pettigrew: $2,670,000
Tony Scheffler: $2,950,000
Will Heller: UFA
Nathan Overbay: $480,000

Total Investment: $6,100,000
Diagnosis: I can see the Lions getting a developmental guy here although Heller has always been solid for us. Scheffler is getting older and Pettigrew is sloppy catching the football and after catching the football. Maybe he's an okay blocker, but the way our offense works, I'd rather have a couple of athletes here (think Gronk/Hernandez). I'm fairly close to giving up on 'grew at this point.

OL
Dominic Raiola: $6,062,500
Dylan Gandy: UFA
Rodney Austin: $406,334
Bill Nagy: $480,000
Stephen Peterman: $3,278,000
Rob Sims: $3,425,000
Gosder Cherilus: UFA
Jeff Backus: $3,500,000
Corey Hilliard: UFA
Jason Fox: RFA
Riley Reiff: $1,816,750

Total Investment: $18,968,584
Diagnosis: What can I say? We could use some upgrades. Peterman's and Backus's hits are mostly non-bonus. Raiola's is $2m worth of bonus. I hope we get rid of all three, to be honest. Only if we are upgrading, though.

Defense

DT
Sammie Lee Hill: UFA
Ndamukong Suh: $17,172,500
Corey Williams: UFA
Nick Fairley: $2,697,000
Andre Fluellen: UFA
Ogemdi Nwagbuo: $630,000
Jimmy Saddler-McQueen: $480,000

Total Investment: $20,979,500
Diagnosis: Due to the immense amount of money already owed to Suh, it's hard to see us realistically resigning Corey Williams and Sammie Hill unless one of them takes a discount. I really think we'd be remiss to let Sammie go, a guy who is just starting to come through on his potential whereas Corey is probably over the hill. Priority has to be resigning Sammie here while attempting to get Corey back as more of a locker room leader but at a fixed maximum budget.

Note: Restructuring Suh would save apx. $5 million this season and balloon his 2014 hit from $19m to $24m. It's more likely we extend him than do that.

DE
Cliff Avril: UFA
Lawrence Jackson: UFA
Kyle Vanden Bosch: $10,686,250
Willie Young: RFA
Ronnell Lewis: $579,272

Total Investment: $11,265,522
Diagnosis: Big area of need here for the Lions. Not sure what Avril's status is going to be, but if I'm the Lions I'm not forking over 12m a year for the guy. He is solid yet unspectacular. This is going to be a big target in FA/draft. I see us letting Avril go and resigning Cliff Avril at this point.

Releasing Vanden Bosch is a possibility and would save $5 million this offseason and $9 million for each of two years after that. This could be looked at more of a necessity for the future. Needless to say, lots of uncertainty here that we will have to look at mitigating somehow.

Note: Restructuring Vanden Bosch would save apx. $2.7 million this season and would balloon his cap hit to $10.3m for the last two years.

LB
DeAndre Levy: UFA
Ashlee Palmer: $1,333,333
Justin Durant: UFA
Stephen Tulloch: $4,800,000
Travis Lewis: $494,793
Tahir Whitehead: $533,000
Carmen Messina: $406,667

Total Investment: $7,567,793
Diagnosis: It's hard to say what to do here. I see us resigning one of Levy/Durant. Levy is better vs. the pass, Durant is better vs. the run. Durant also carries a concussion history. Maybe they surprise us and let them both go. I could see Messina/Palmer and Lewis starting next year. Not that that's a preference, I could just see it.

S
Louis Delmas: UFA
Amari Spievey: RFA
John Wendling: $988,333
Erik Coleman: UFA
Ricardo Silva: eRFA
Tyrell Johnson: $715,000

Total Investment: $1,653,333
Diagnosis: Without overreacting, this is obviously the Lions' biggest area of need this offseason. Spievey may be the next Best with regards to concussions and Delmas has always been a liability regarding injury. Big area to watch this offseason as there are several free agents-to-be (Jairus Byrd, William Moore, Patrick Chung, LaRon Landry) and not quite as many solid draft options (most guys I like are later-round prospects).

CB
Chris Houston: UFA
Jacob Lacey: UFA
Dwight Bentley: $637,278
Chris Greenwood: $528,000
Jonte Green: $504,250
Ronald Bartell: $1,000,000
Pat Lee: UFA
Drayton Florence: UFA
Alphonso Smith: UFA
Justin Miller: UFA
Conroy Black: $405,000
Don Carey: $680,000
Lionel Smith: $405,000
Ross Weaver: $405,000

Total Investment: $4,564,528
Diagnosis: We must look to resign Chris Houston as our veteran presence here. I'm excited to see how our rookies-again, Bill Bentley and Chris Greenwood, look over the offseason. Jonte Green surprised me this year. He gets to the ball quickly after catches and got better in coverage as the year went on. Still wanting to add 1-2 guys here as Bartell can't be relied upon nor our rookies this year.

ST
Jason Hanson: UFA
Don Muhlbach: UFA
Nick Harris: UFA

Total Investment: $0
Diagnosis: Yeah... maybe in a little more trouble next year than we thought.

Other cap penalties: $138,925

Total Cap Hit Salary on the Books for 2013: $124,609,608
Percentage of that belonging to Megatron, Suh, Vanden Bosch, and Stafford: 48%
Total Players on the Books for 2013: 49
Projected Team Cap: $123,466,992
Estimated Cap Space: -$1,142,616

It's important to note that much of our current salary comes from minimum-salary, futures guys.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun! With your feedback, we can improve the thread throughout the offseason.

Last edited by DrRay11 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 am; edited 6 times in total
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to write all that out!

Quick question, did include any cap restructuring in total cap hit at the end there?

It looks like we might have another offseason of just trying to retain our own FAs if you did. If not, then we still have a bit of wiggle room and may be able to sign a mid-level FA or two.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in trouble. My 3 biggest in house priorities would be to resign Levy and SLH... and part ways with KVB.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMcTilty wrote:
Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to write all that out!

Quick question, did include any cap restructuring in total cap hit at the end there?

It looks like we might have another offseason of just trying to retain our own FAs if you did. If not, then we still have a bit of wiggle room and may be able to sign a mid-level FA or two.

No problem - needed to be done!

I did not modify the numbers at all or include any restructurings, the end numbers are purely as-is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
We're in trouble. My 3 biggest in house priorities would be to resign Levy and SLH... and part ways with KVB.

I agree with Levy, but I think Houston and Delmas have to be a priority as well. This secondary would be lost without them IMO.

Also DrRay11, I agree with Pettigrew. I don't think he will ever be in that group with Jimmy Graham, Gronk/Hernandez, and Gates (in his prime). As much as I hate to say it, TE looks like a draft priority.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMcTilty wrote:
nagahide13 wrote:

I agree with Levy, but I think Houston and Delmas have to be a priority as well. This secondary would be lost without them IMO.

Also DrRay11, I agree with Pettigrew. I don't think he will ever be in that group with Jimmy Graham, Gronk/Hernandez, and Gates (in his prime). As much as I hate to say it, TE looks like a draft priority.

I agree with Houston actually... but I think he's going to make a ridiculous amount of money, and I doubt it comes from us. It's more of a "we can't afford him" situation in my eyes. We'll see though I suppose.
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Levy and Delmas are RFA I could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionsfanforever wrote:

If someone can provide a confirmation I'm more than happy to update the original.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are unrestricted free agents. I know for sure, no source but someone can google it to fact check me. Cool
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
Lionsfanforever wrote:

If someone can provide a confirmation I'm more than happy to update the original.

Levy was an RFA last season tendered at a 2nd rounder I believe, not sure what the deal with Delmas is though.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Lions parting ways with the older players this upcomming offseason.

Riaola at 4 million is too much.
Burleson at 4.5 million is too much.
KVB isn't the player he was paid to be at 9 million.

Lions need to resign two starters in the secondary(Delmas/Houston), two starting linebackers(Durant/Levy), need to replace the C and maybe both DE positions.

Secondary will be terrible... The only two quality starters we have in Delmas/Houston are free agents. Now... I expect Houston to command around the same type of contract he signed last time( 3 years 15 million.) But who knows theres always a chance he chases a pay-day... He didn't last time though and that should be noted, imo. Best case I see here is that Lions resign both Delmas/Houston, and draft another starter at either CB/S and work the wavier wire/etc like normal to fill the last role.

Specail teams needs a coverage player... or two somehow, likely a new kicker and punter, and should get a new return man because Logans hesitant and his ball security is now questionable. He's hardly worth a roster spot.

Specail teams coaches head should of already been on the chopping block if not chopped off by now, and if things continue I might have to put Linehan/Swartz too. Lions are one of the most undisiciplined teams in the whole league and our offense for all of our playmakers and players we have isn't producing ANYTHING throughout a game until it's do-die time. It's bullcrap. We've been consistantly outcoached against the better/good teams of the league. Somehow the Bears workout our coverage to where Smith is on Marshall. Complete miss match yet we can't get Calvin the ball, or anyone for that matter.

Personally if this was my team I'm chopping heads at the end of the season and might do away with the whole staff and hire someone like Del Rio/ John Gruden with the option to keep Gunther around if he wants. I'm actually not mad at him at all. I think he's done "Ok" with what he's had to work with, especailly in the secondary.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
Both are unrestricted free agents. I know for sure, no source but someone can google it to fact check me. Cool

You're right.

Great work, DrRay11. Those numbers were interesting to look at. It's always interesting to see exactly where the money is tied up and what is/isn't working.
Maximillion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can get rid of burleson, one of raiola or peterman, corey and kvb and we are in good shape. We have to go secondary in the draft , i believe. I dont know why you would want Gholston, he has 1 sack in 8 games this year. He has no burst what so ever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anyway Peterman comes back and I think we either rework Raiolas deal or cut him too. I do think that would be a last effort to clear cap though.

I wish KVB would retire so we don't have to deal with his contract but I doubt that happens. Either way, something needs to happen because there are more important pieces to our D that money could go towards (Levy, Houston, Delmas, Hill, Williams)

I think Houston leaves to be honest. He will likely want a deal like Eric Wright got last year and I'm not sure we can afford that. Del,as IMO won't be too expensive although his impact has been obvious which isn't a good sign for resigning him.

I think Levy will be brought back and I think Lewis or Whitehead step in on the other side next year. Unless a great talent drops to us like Teo but he would be sort of wasted on the outside.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's several vets I can see gone:

Peterman
Burleson
KVB
Durant
C Williams

I think re-signing Houston and Delmas will probably be the top priority. Would expect Stafford and/or Suh's deal to be extended to lessen this years cap hit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: