Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andre Johnson, the greatest Texan ever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Andre Johnson, the greatest Texan ever Reply with quote

After a slow start Sunday, the switch was flipped when Barwin sacked Flacco for a safety. We all thought that's what turned the game around, but now we know it was Mr. Andre Johnson.

Article in the Chron via Dale Robertson:

As splendidly as things turned out Sunday, they didn’t start all that great, which is why Andre Johnson called an impromptu team meeting on the sideline after the Texans’ first three possessions produced just a single first down.

Johnson sensed an “antsy” football team around him, and although he’s not known for loquacious interventions, he felt like something had to be said. And he was exactly the right guy to say it, because when he speaks, everybody pays attention.

“I was telling everybody just to calm down and relax,” he said. “Take it one play at a time.”

Two plays later, linebacker Connor Barwin had Joe Flacco pinned in the end zone for a safety, and, Johnson said, “Everything just took off after that.”

We all know Andre isnt Ray Lewis when it comes to vocal leadership, but this proved he is a great leader.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
71 tot, 2 int, 1 sck, 3 ff
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre looked a step slow to me yesterday. He had a great game with 9 catches, but he doesnt appear to have the big play ability anymore. He is still one of the smartest WR in football and so no doubt he can get open and catch a ton of balls for some big first downs, but i think the days of Andre being wide open 40 yards down the field are over
Carrer marks:
1,002 catches 13,463 yards 63 TDs
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see AJ stepping up. I've never bought into this "lead by example" crap because, I'm sorry, when you are one of the highest paid people in any organization and it's longest tenured talent, leadership is in your job description whether you want it or not. Everyone has their strengths and public speaking will never be AJ's but sensing a need and being a calming influence like this sure beats the hell out of some of these diva receivers who choose to start blaming their QB or complaining that they are getting the ball enough when things don't go their way. As I said when Cushing went down, it's time for the offense to recognize that they are going to have to put the team on their backs to win some games this year too.

Side note - was I the only one having flashbacks in watching that Lions game last night where the Lions seemed completely lost if Calvin couldn't carry them to victory including absolutely stupid plays by RBs in the RZ and painfully predictable RZ playcalling. Kevin Walter hasn't gotten enough credit for his work this year and has really stepped up this year and could have more if not being missed a few times by Schaub who still can't his the guy in stride. OD likely won't beat the Gronk hype for a starting nod in the Pro Bowl, but thru 7, he's your #2 TE (no matter what Steelers fans try to sell about Heath Miller). Of course, it sure is nice to have a running game as well even if it still isn't quite firing on all cylinders.

Brady and Manning are pretty much locks for the Pro Bowl, but it's going to be interesting to watch the Big Ben vs. Schaub race for the 3rd spot. I guess we can go ahead and put Flacco back in his rightful place in the middle of the pack at this point. Dalton is going to get attention as the new kid on the block and the fantasy love due to AJ Green, but he's a clear notch below Schaub in that he throws too many ints and gives up too many sacks.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texans02

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Brady and Manning are pretty much locks for the Pro Bowl, but it's going to be interesting to watch the Big Ben vs. Schaub race for the 3rd spot. I guess we can go ahead and put Flacco back in his rightful place in the middle of the pack at this point. Dalton is going to get attention as the new kid on the block and the fantasy love due to AJ Green, but he's a clear notch below Schaub in that he throws too many ints and gives up too many sacks.

I think Schaub is going to have a hard time making the Pro Bowl this year because we've been playing with a lead, and therefore leaning on the run, so often. Also, our defense has been scoring on turnovers often.

So unless they give him the nod for being the guy running the finely tuned machine, he's probably not going to make it on stats.

Yes please!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lock that one of the top 4 QBs is going to the super bowl, so the AFC will have 4 or 5 pro bowl QBs
Carrer marks:
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans02 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

I think Schaub is going to have a hard time making the Pro Bowl this year because we've been playing with a lead, and therefore leaning on the run, so often. Also, our defense has been scoring on turnovers often.

So unless they give him the nod for being the guy running the finely tuned machine, he's probably not going to make it on stats.

I don't disagree with you, but playing well against the Bears will be a great statement game after they made Stafford look like a rookie again. Big Ben deserves some credit, but you saw again this week that when they run the ball, they win, when they let him throw it 40 times they lose (0-3). I'm sorry, our QB beat the Broncos and Titans and Big Ben lost to both and you can't NOT give Schaub credit for stats when he was putting up records in 08 & 09 but leading a mediocre team, then switch it up when Big Ben is putting up stats and leading a mediocre team. I am so sick of every broadcast team covering the Steelers crying about their o-line woes when we just rebuilt the right side of our line with the sparest of parts and Schaub still barely gets sacked once per game (8 total) while guys like Flacco, Dalton, and Rivers already have 17-18 and Ben has 13 in 6 games. Considering how hard it is to recover from a sack and get 1st downs, QBs sacks allowed ought to be more of a negative metric as any Texan fan that lived through David Carr should know that sacks are often at least 50% on the QB.

While we are at it, can we stop having every announcer decry Schaub's lack of mobility in a conference with Ben, Rivers, and Flacco. It takes an athletic QB to execute the play action and naked boots that make this system sing and I don't see any of those plodders being able to pull off what Schaub does and it's not like Brady or Manning have ever done anything with their legs either. While Schaub isn't going to pull the ball down and run for many 1st downs, I'd love to see how many times he has converted 3rd downs by avoiding a sack on 1st or 2nd down. Watching Cutler last night just reminded me how many problems that guy creates for himself by not just getting rid of the ball (or having a TE safety valve) and avoiding setting up 3rd and long in the first place.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texans02

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are wrong that he DESERVES it Apollo. I just think the selection is shallow and petty, and since he won't be a stats beast this season (most likely), they'll probably gush about the big numbers put up by some other guy that is airing out while playing from behind on a mediocre team.

The third Pro Bowl slot should be called the Derek Anderson Memorial Junk Time Stats Award.

Yes please!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans02 wrote:
I don't think you are wrong that he DESERVES it Apollo. I just think the selection is shallow and petty, and since he won't be a stats beast this season (most likely), they'll probably gush about the big numbers put up by some other guy that is airing out while playing from behind on a mediocre team.

The third Pro Bowl slot should be called the Derek Anderson Memorial Junk Time Stats Award.

Betting dimes to dollars that Andrew Luck or Ryan Tannehill gets the 3rd spot. For some reason, people like to hang onto rookies who have slightly above average seasons for that third spot...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
DreDay80

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Andre looked a step slow to me yesterday. He had a great game with 9 catches, but he doesnt appear to have the big play ability anymore. He is still one of the smartest WR in football and so no doubt he can get open and catch a ton of balls for some big first downs, but i think the days of Andre being wide open 40 yards down the field are over

You got this from the Ravens game? I agree with you but it's kinda of hard to get open down the field when you have Ed Reed double covering you. On that Kevin Walter TD, it was Andre's presence that allowed that to happen. Ed Reed saw Dre running a streak and immediately went over to that side.
jargin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dre is going to be more productive from here on out. He caught 8 and 9 passes the last two weeks. Dre hasn't been worked hard, he has had a lot of breaks and now they are going to let him play whole games now that we are hitting mid season. He is in the right place at the right time for Schaub when he scrambles and makes big plays when lined up against linebackers, which is all we can really ask from him considering how much he opens the run game. I saw the safety on Dre's side of the field so much last week, and the weeks before, which opens up things for Walter and OD.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreDay80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

You got this from the Ravens game? I agree with you but it's kinda of hard to get open down the field when you have Ed Reed double covering you. On that Kevin Walter TD, it was Andre's presence that allowed that to happen. Ed Reed saw Dre running a streak and immediately went over to that side.

ya, he is still a threat but i don't think he has the elite speed he once possessed. Im not saying he isnt a top WR but for about 3-4 years he was the best WR in football, and i wouldnt put him on that level anymore. i still think he has 3-4 1,000 yards seasons left but i dont see him leading the league in yards anytime soon
Carrer marks:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: