Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blaine Gabbert has a torn labrum.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Every single year, people think the next draft class is better for QBs than the current one at this point in the year. Last year it was "Sure, Luck is great, but if Barkley doesn't declare, this is going to be a weak group and next year will be great with Bray, Wilson and everyone else" the year before, the same thing. This time next year, we'll be talking about how weak that class is and how much better the 2015 class looks.

Not saying next year's is better, but I will take an extra 3 top-3 round picks for another year of Gabbert, to give the next GM a better chance to build the roster...trade out this draft, get an extra 1 and 3 next year and get our new Coach, GM, and QB in 2014.
And if we finish with the 5th pick in 2014 and there's only a couple guys viewed as excellent prospects, who both will go in the top 4?

I'm of the opinion that if you don't have a franchise QB and have the chance to get one, you have to draft him because you might not have that opportunity again. You just have to make sure that you're getting the right guy.

Then you use the extra pick(s) you get from the trade back this year and move up to ensure the player.

#JDI
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Every single year, people think the next draft class is better for QBs than the current one at this point in the year. Last year it was "Sure, Luck is great, but if Barkley doesn't declare, this is going to be a weak group and next year will be great with Bray, Wilson and everyone else" the year before, the same thing. This time next year, we'll be talking about how weak that class is and how much better the 2015 class looks.

Not saying next year's is better, but I will take an extra 3 top-3 round picks for another year of Gabbert, to give the next GM a better chance to build the roster...trade out this draft, get an extra 1 and 3 next year and get our new Coach, GM, and QB in 2014.
And if we finish with the 5th pick in 2014 and there's only a couple guys viewed as excellent prospects, who both will go in the top 4?

I'm of the opinion that if you don't have a franchise QB and have the chance to get one, you have to draft him because you might not have that opportunity again. You just have to make sure that you're getting the right guy.

Then you use the extra pick(s) you get from the trade back this year and move up to ensure the player.

Too many variables in that kind of scenario.
What if Gabbert improves somewhat but, still doesn't prove to be the answer and we pick around 12. That would take a ton of picks to move up.
What if the qbs of 2014 regress? And we missed our shot at a franchise qb.

If we get the chance this year to take a guy we think can be a franchise qb (Geno) and we trade back, I'll lose my mind.

Credit to IPwn for da sig
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabbert has had two straight full practices. Barring something catastrophic, he shouldn't miss any more time from the injury.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
iPwn wrote:

And what happens when the bolded is at odds with the philosophy of picking a potential 'franchise QB just because they're there'?

If you're talking about getting 'the right guy' with a high degree of certainty, then sure. I wouldn't pass up a bonafide franchise QB for a trade down. If we were talking about a class like last year, you don't trade back if you have a shot at Luck/RGIII. But this just doesn't look like a strong top-end QB class. A lot of reservations about all 3 of the 'top guys' Smith/Barkley/Wilson. Picking the 'top guy' doesn't guarantee it's going to work out, nor does it guarantee that it's going to good value pick.

Combine that with the need for a lot of other pieces with this team, including building the protection and putting together the playmaking weapons a new QB is going to need, and i'd be happy to pick up a handful of extra top picks, and go after 'the right guy' in 2014, to come in surrounded by the pieces to be successful.

I get what you're saying, and every year the top prospects do get torn apart, obviously. But the underwhelming feeling around this QB class goes beyond that i think. There's some merit to the 'bird in hand is worth two in the bush' philosophy...but in this case, i just don't see it. Not when, metaphorically speaking, all of the birds are still 'in the bush', including the top QBs from this class.

And i just don't see the merit on reaching on a QB at the expense of surrounding them with the talent they will need to really shine.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Gabbert has had two straight full practices. Barring something catastrophic, he shouldn't miss any more time from the injury.

what if he gets hit and falls on that side, isnt that an expected issue?..not that you can prevent it

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
iPwn wrote:

And what happens when the bolded is at odds with the philosophy of picking a potential 'franchise QB just because they're there'?
If you don't think the players there are the guy, then you don't draft them. But if they clearly aren't the guy, other teams aren't going to get so caught up in wanting them that they'll pay something outrageous to get them either.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: