Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 8: Seattle Seahawks @ Detroit Lions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imani

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we suck at all. It's just going to take alot for me to forgive this defense this season.

Yesterdays performance would have been unacceptable in our 4-12 season. 14-18 on third down is disgusting

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! This forum overreacts after every game. Not elite defense? Not elite secondary? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We suck" - disagree.
"We're regressing" - agree, but only the past two TOUGH road games.
"6-7 wins this year" - disagree heartily.
"Fire Bevell" - agree.
"Fire Bradley" - disagree (just stuff him in a bag on 3rd down and have Norton call the plays)

It's easy to get positive after a win... as evidenced by all of our "elite defense" talk after some key wins this year. It's also easy to get negative after a loss.

This team is clearly simply on the cusp - we can go either way from here. We've won one game handily and have basically split the other 7 in games that ALL could have gone either way. We could be 1-7 just about as easily as we could be 8-0 at this point, given how we've played.

4-4 after playing 5 road games, including Detroit and SF... home games against NE and GB (both wins)... pretty good.

Home games against Min,NYJ, Ari, SF, StL remain. Probably 4-1 there. Road games at Buf (in Toronto), Mia and Chi. 2-1 or 1-2 there, most likely. I don't see much of a way to finish outside of 9-7 or 10-6. That's right in line with a 3-4 year growth plan coming out of the Holmgren/Mora debacle years. And, we're doing so in the midst of a newly challenging division. Put *this* team back in 2009 and we win the division going away.

This team is already good - could still sneak into the playoffs - and I'm confident that we'll add a WR, a nickel corner and some needed linemen on both sides of the ball without losing much going into 2013.

I'm still jazzed about the team. Sucked seeing our D play like a matador yesterday, but sometimes this is what's needed to wake 'em up.

Watch for something spectacular against a young Vikes team in 6 days.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's as simple as this. We're a top 10 team in the league when we're at home, but outside of Seattle this is a borderline top 20 team. That's how it always has been and likely how it always will be until the commissioner decides to figure his crap out and stop giving west coast teams 10 am games. It's a distinct disadvantage for the western teams and someone wrote a piece on it the other week in NFL Gen that west coast teams only win about a 3rd of those games.

This team plays with no heart when they don't have the 12th man.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! This forum overreacts after every game. Not elite defense? Not elite secondary? Really?

This defense definitely is not elite, at least not on the road. We don't have the ability to consistently rush the passer with 4 linemen and we can't get off the field on the 3rd down. That's not elite. Elite should be reserved for the defenses that are truly shutdown. We are not there yet. The secondary is elite, but the pass defense is not if that makes sense. The back 4 are great at what they do, but we get exposed covering TEs and RBs.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I am disappointed but i could see this happening only because Stafford is a pretty good QB who threw for 4000+ yards last season he just finally found himself although it didn't help much that we gave him all day to throw setting up huge chunks of yards passing.

SaveourSonics wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

This defense definitely is not elite, at least not on the road. We don't have the ability to consistently rush the passer with 4 linemen and we can't get off the field on the 3rd down. That's not elite. Elite should be reserved for the defenses that are truly shutdown. We are not there yet. The secondary is elite, but the pass defense is not if that makes sense. The back 4 are great at what they do, but we get exposed covering TEs and RBs.

Our secondary on the road has been great outside of this Lions game and thats with no pass rush on the road.
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I said before the season that this defense will be elite only when it has a consistent pass rush (which we don't have). We can't rush the passer with 4 players.
TheoryofSeahawk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outside_Insider wrote:
Look at you guys. A loss to a good team who just so happens to have put everything together for one game on offense at home and we suck somehow...
Wrong, we just got through the most murderous part of our schedule and we will go either 7-1 or 6-2 in our final 8. That will put us at 10-6 at worst. We may not win the Superbowl but this team is going to be VERY difficult to make next year, and better yet, we have our QBOTF. Wilson was pinpoint yesterday...and that doesn't happy very often for a rookie. He is poised, accurate and there is no throw he cannot make. He put our team in a position to win and our D let him down.

In my opinion yesterday was not an issues of anyone letting this team downy except the coaching staff. PC and Gus failed to make adjustments the entire game. I thought that DET was going to come back and win because..well..we hadn't shown we could really stop them from moving the ball. Other coaching staffs seem to be one step ahead of our game planning every week.

WIth all this being said...just relax. There is no other team in the league I would rather have when you consider the next 10 years in the league, and that's the honest truth. We're going to improve...look at the leaps Wilson and the offense have already made? Can you imagine what another offseason FA and draft will do for us? This will will not digress year to year...ever. There is no game left on this schedule that we cannot or should not win. Even @ chicago, I think we are going to pull that one off. We're going to make the playoffs.. and probably lose in the first round..but that's okay. If your expectations were to win a SB this year... I think that was a little premature. If you would have told me we would make the playoffs and find our MLB and QBOFT this year, I would have told you that I thought it was a very successful future.

Here's where we need to upgrade in the off season:
-Pass rush (1st round)
-Nickel corner (2nd round)
-WR (UFA or trade) Wallace, DeSean, Bowe

What you're missing is that this is NOT a one game issue. The problems that cost us the game yesterday have been going on all season long and it's getting old watching the same thing happen over and over again. This wasn't just Stafford getting hot out of nowhere. He got hot because we CANNOT stop anyone from converting on 3rd down. This has happened in every game we have lost and even some of the games we have won. Our one blowout win over Dallas was severly aided by Witten dropping multiple passes that could have changed the outcome of that game. Now, teams around the league have started figuring out our weakness and exploiting it. We might be fortunate that we don't have to face the elite QB's over the 2nd half of our season like we did in the first half, but that's a lot like fool's gold because even if we sneak into the playoffs we will have to face them again for sure and this possible lull in being exposed may give Pete even more of a reason to get over-confident and think he has "solved" the problem, when in fact, he hasn't done anything to change what has happened. I think this team will definitely make up ground over the 2nd half of the season and the future looks incredibly bright for this team, but I won't overlook the glaring weaknesses that I've seen so far in order to feel better about the rest of this year.
Pithy Radish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the last two games that we have been using a ton of zone defense. Whenever we go away from manning up we seem to get toasted. On third down we almost always go into a cover 2 defense. I have also noticed that our LB's are sometimes 15 yards down the field in their zones. This is not a personel issue, but a coaching issue in my mind. It reminds me of Marshall's softzone defense.

We need to bring back the bandit on third downs.
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pithy Radish wrote:
I notice that the last two games that we have been using a ton of zone defense. Whenever we go away from manning up we seem to get toasted. On third down we almost always go into a cover 2 defense. I have also noticed that our LB's are sometimes 15 yards down the field in their zones. This is not a personel issue, but a coaching issue in my mind. It reminds me of Marshall's softzone defense.

Yep, and it has been driving me up the wall. I want to hope that it's a case of Gus Bradley thinking that a zone D is great for our team, because I feel like Pete has given Gus some more freedom with our D and it has clearly backfired.

Remember that Pete set up HIS scheme, not Gus. The scheme itself isn't the problem, it's the playcalling. We now have the players for the scheme, but play calls that utilise our scheme aren't being made.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
Pithy Radish wrote:

Yep, and it has been driving me up the wall. I want to hope that it's a case of Gus Bradley thinking that a zone D is great for our team, because I feel like Pete has given Gus some more freedom with our D and it has clearly backfired.

Remember that Pete set up HIS scheme, not Gus. The scheme itself isn't the problem, it's the playcalling. We now have the players for the scheme, but play calls that utilise our scheme aren't being made.

No. With the pattern we've seen it called, that's a HC call. The HC oversees all of that and can absolutely tell Gus to stop whenever he wants. He's just too damn conservative to stop.
Tooki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Tooki wrote:
Pithy Radish wrote:

No. With the pattern we've seen it called, that's a HC call. The HC oversees all of that and can absolutely tell Gus to stop whenever he wants. He's just too damn conservative to stop.

I want to know how Pete does things on D, because I know with the O Bevell decides the pass play and Tom Cable decides the run play.

If it's a situation where Pete tells Gus that he wants this lineup, and Gus picks the play, it's on Gus.

And yes Pete is an arrogant bastard.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
If it's a situation where Pete tells Gus that he wants this lineup, and Gus picks the play, it's on Gus.

Pete is a defensive guy so you know he has a lot of say in that. I bet he tells Gus pretty much exactly what he wants to do in specific situations and how often to blitz. Bradley picks plays from there. That's on Pete.
Tooki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Tooki wrote:

Pete is a defensive guy so you know he has a lot of say in that. I bet he tells Gus pretty much exactly what he wants to do in specific situations and how often to blitz. Bradley picks plays from there. That's on Pete.

In that situation definitely. Hopefully we pull the bullet on a guy to man SLB like he had in USC.

And we have been getting gashed by playing zone. Pete isn't an idiot and will surely do SOMETHING about it.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Tooki wrote:

I don't know, I really don't. I'd like to get a definitive answer on how much each guy is involved.

I remember two years ago when we had that big dime package with Roy Lewis and Babs as slot CB's and Milloy was at LB with Tatupu. They'd bring pressure from all over. I though Pete was a genius. Than everything since than has impressed me less and less.

It's like he was willing to adjust because there really was no talented pass rush. Now that we have some talented players they refuse to get creative.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 34 of 35

Jump to: