Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

As the new GM I will do the following:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gang-Green!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: As the new GM I will do the following: Reply with quote

Since the Panthers are listening to my advice to dump Hurney, here is what I would do next:

Without knowledge of all contracts, I would look to cut or renegotiate the following: Deangelo – He has dramatically underplayed his deal. Not sure how much guaranteed is left, but he shouldn’t get too much more than that. Stewart – I’ve never been a big fan of Stewart. He has flashes, but he is a ½ step too slow to be great. Gamble – Gamble was the man last year, but I think he goes. Could be wrong on this, but he needs to be playing for minimum if he wants to come back. Time to start over other than Godfrey. Norman has been tested but not terrible for a rookie. Beason – Out for two years, he needs to give a bunch back or I say cut bait. Time to clean house. TD has made some hits and TD has been the model of effort, so he comes back at the minimum Gross has been solid and offensive line has been decent enough but we are nearing the end here. Keep both Anderson and Clausen one more year at least.

Cam’s play ...

Coaches are in a terrible place with Cam. He demonstrated that when playing well he might be the best athlete in the NFL. However, he isn’t handling adversity well and the coaching staff has not adjusted to take advantage of his skills and hide his weaknesses. Defenses are making Cam beat us with his arm and his accuracy is NFL below average. On the one hand you have to be thinking about bring Anderson in, but you have bet everything on Cam, so what to do? Probably stick with Cam at least through the end of the year.

He is an unbelievable athlete, but the coaches need to make the following adjustments: Cam has a gun, so line up some deep throws for him on play action fakes. He is more accurate than most long range. Keep the DBs honest. Run more screens which take advantage of our backs and helps build Cam’s confidence. Set up a lot more QB draws and utilize Cam’s running more. Last year, I would have said “do it less” because I didn’t want him to get hurt. Now, I think without it, his game isn’t dangerous enough to succeed. Play to his strengths, and just play as long as he can. Making him a legit RB and he just have to take the hits when he can’t get down – he is bigger than RG3. Minimize the 2nd and 10 because you threw a first down incomplete pass, unless the incomplete was for a 60 yard bomb or a RB dropped a screen pass.

Coaching...

On the one hand I like Rivera and think he is saying a lot of the right things. Last year when Cam was setting all those records Chud was being considered for head coaching jobs. This year, Chud hasn’t adjusted well to Cam’s strengths. It is a growing process, and we’ve learned about Cam’s strengths and weaknesses. I think Rivera let the season get away from us on the Atlanta game. He’d have been big time 2nd guessed if he didn’t make it, but he could have won it right there. Sucks Cam fumbled 3rd down and It didn’t occur to the DBs to not let someone get behind you.
I’m keeping Rivera, but cleaning out the high dollar Hurney contracts, but the coaching staff needs to adapt to the teams skills or they should go.

Draft Picks ...
Barring a huge turnaround we are picking high again. Right now we are1 of 4 with one win and there are 4 teams with 2 wins. So barring a major climb out of the basement we are picking in the top 8. We must TRADE DOWN and accumulate picks. Look at the QBs recently, Cam, RG3, Luck, Ponder, Tannehill, Weeden and probably a few others. A few like Sanchez, Bradford, Locker, Gabert have been more frustrating, but they are letting these young guys play now. Someone will want to move up for the QBs.

Suppose we could get what St. Louis got for RG3? Without knowing who is available, I think position of need in order of priority is:
1. Safety
2. Corner Back
3. Wide Receiver
4. Defensive Tackle
5. Defensive End
6. Corner Back (again)
7. Offensive Tackle
Zithers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm

no. also we don't have a chance of getting what st louis did because there are no prospects remotely close to rg3 this season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
hmmmmm

no. also we don't have a chance of getting what st louis did because there are no prospects remotely close to rg3 this season.

Maybe not, but there is still a lot of teams needing QB help and a lot of teams willing to give up the dough to get a QB they can work with. Off the top of my head there is NYJ, BUF, CLE, JAX, KC, OAK, DAL, PHI, and AZ could all be looking to do something at QB this offseason. You get that many teams looking to make a move at QB, someone will overpay to jump a few spots to take a guy they want. Prospects at the top of the draft look like Barkley, Smith, and Wilson.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
hmmmmm

Umm, do you not know who Geno Smith is?

Sure the rest of the season needs to play about before we call him the Next RGIII, but he looks pretty damn promising to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrUpzWQr0x4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamble was rated as top cb this year when he's played so cutting all these players leaves to many holes.

Might wanna add RB to your list if you cut those 2.

I love Stewart though. If we would quit with that cute college run play and get the oline to run over people Stewart is a monster!

OT should be the top if you cut Gross

Thanks CK
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams contract makes it possible he'll be on the roster through 2013. After that the cap hit for releasing him would be less than the hit for keeping him that year. Likely they'll release/trade him after June in 2013 to split the cap hit between the two seasons.

Stewart is not getting released. He just signed and his cap hit v. guaranteed money wouldn't make it a sensible cut this season. Plus, you're not going to get rid of both RBs.

Beason isn't getting cut. Still has $12M in bonus money against the cap to be accounted for after this season. Reworking his deal is a definite possibility (and very probable). Most players take another year after an Achilles tear to get back to speed.

Thomas Davis already greatly restructured his contract to give him the opportunity to demonstrate he can play. He has played very well, so I wouldn't burn him (especially if you're seriously considering dropping Beason).

Gamble has two years left on his contract and has been playing great for the past two seasons. In no way, shape, or form do I consider cutting him. He is far and away the best DB we have on our roster. If you want to talk about restructuring to work cap space or to see how his shoulder will be coming off of IR, fine. But cutting him would be pointless and a mistake. It's not like he'd be inhibiting a younger player's development by being on the field - plenty of spots and snaps for other players to go around, considering how much NFL teams play nickel.

Gross is an interesting case. His cap numbers make him a likely candidate for getting cut. His hit will be ~11.7M next year, but only $1M of that is guaranteed. His hit the following year is less than $9M. But, you have to figure out what you're going to do if you're going to cut him. He's still much better than anybody else we have on the roster. Considering all the tumult we've had on the right side of the line, I can't imagine getting rid of Gross without a very good backup plan already in place is a good idea.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying cut Beaston and Gamble but keep TD, Clausen and Anderson. I don't know where you get off thinking it's a good idea to cut Gamble. The dudes been the best DB on the Panthers since Mike Minter retired and hasn't lost a step. J Beast needs to stay because he's better than TD and Anderson and one of the best LBs in the game when on. Anderson and TD should stay because they're both good LBs as well. TD is cheap too so no way he goes. Clausen on the other hand needs to go. DA is better than he is so might as well pick up a cheap FA QB.

Also how in god name do you think WR is more of a need than DT. There hasn't been a good DT on the roster since Kris Jenkins (Kemoeatu and Lewis were solid).

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you've taken the idea of a rebuild to the next level here. You can't just cut every player on the team who happens to be on a large contract.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
hmmmmm

Sure the rest of the season needs to play about before we call him the Next RGIII, but he looks pretty damn promising to me.

Geno Smith will be lucky to go in the first round, RG3 and Luck were elite prospects.

...you have a forum resume?
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Geno Smith will be lucky to go in the first round

While Geno Smith is far from an elite prospect in my opinion, this is not true at all.
boondock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
Geno Smith will be lucky to go in the first round

While Geno Smith is far from an elite prospect in my opinion, this is not true at all.

Some team needing QB help will over value him and take him in the top 10-15. It happens every year. Good QB play is the key to making or breaking a team. Barkley is a given in the top 5. We will probably see Smith or Wilson break the top 10-15 as well. If one or both have a good combine, this could be higher.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After making a decent veteran FA signing(preferably a FS) I would trade back so I could pick three times in the first two rounds. Then I'd take OT, DT and WR/TE.

I definitely think the receivers need a boost, but it won't matter who is running routes if the line can't protect. I'd really like to add a complete TE that can block and catch. I think the best way to help the passing game is to help the run game and a tight end will help both.
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
After making a decent veteran FA signing(preferably a FS) I would trade back so I could pick three times in the first two rounds. Then I'd take OT, DT and WR/TE.

I definitely think the receivers need a boost, but it won't matter who is running routes if the line can't protect. I'd really like to add a complete TE that can block and catch. I think the best way to help the passing game is to help the run game and a tight end will help both.

I like the plan unless there is absolute stud LT or DT where we are picking.

Thanks CK
haggis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
shaX 07 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
hmmmmm

Geno Smith will be lucky to go in the first round, RG3 and Luck were elite prospects.

Geno Smith WIll 100% go in the 1st round
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss something? Probably, cause the original post read like it was in Arabic at times...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: