Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Round Draft Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is bad as it sound but not seem, will allen have been displaying adequate ability to step in (thank goodness) yes both of our safeties are injured, but which is more of a need; a pass-rusher or safety in 1st round? You know the anwer. We need to replace the pass-rushing itself and then find a starter for nt (hampton is easily gone and mclendon/ta'amu is far from proven) if we get a safety in 2nd I wouldn't be too mad, but it'll be a bpa pick, not a need pick. There are some good safeties later in draft like Shamarko Thomas who is my favorite. He's 3rd-4th round prospect and likely will rise upcoming april.

By PT I mean actually playing for starting position or replacing. Our issues within safeties aren't either.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Yes that is bad as it sound but not seem, will allen have been displaying adequate ability to step in (thank goodness) yes both of our safeties are injured, but which is more of a need; a pass-rusher or safety in 1st round? You know the anwer. We need to replace the pass-rushing itself and then find a starter for nt (hampton is easily gone and mclendon/ta'amu is far from proven) if we get a safety in 2nd I wouldn't be too mad, but it'll be a bpa pick, not a need pick. There are some good safeties later in draft like Shamarko Thomas who is my favorite. He's 3rd-4th round prospect and likely will rise upcoming april.

By PT I mean actually playing for starting position or replacing. Our issues within safeties aren't either.

Why would I want any of our rookies to be in the position to have to start? I want them to learn the ropes and start some and then get the job. Imagine if Polamalu and Clark retire after next season? We'd have Mundy and Will Allen as our starters. If that's not a scary thought, I don't know what to tell you. Im not disputing pass rusher either as those IMO are clearly the top 2 needs. I would pick one of those two positions in the 1st round and the other in the 2nd round. It is tough til you know the actual draft board, which makes all this almost pointless, but you can't look at our safety and pass-rushers and be happy with it going into next season.

Last edited by at23steelers on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

If some of the underclassmen come out this will be a very good safety class. It looks good but top heavy for the NT class as well. I'm just saying, do not be surprised if the Steelers take a NT in the first.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, if, if. I don't play that game. Because then I'll say this; what if steelers sign a big fa name? What if we won against packers? What if we didn't sign woodley to an extension? I can go on really. Secondary actually are our best defensive playmakers and that's not saying much but its easier to find a cover 2 safety than a pass-rusher who can constantly give pressure.

Lebeau seem to love hampton so much tha even he sucks.... tell me im wrong. It is likely for steelers to get a nt in first 2 rounds than any secondary player in first 2 round and that's based on trend of past drafts.

I may be wrong but reason why I'm not loving the idea is that there aren't a drop off in talent-wise for safeties between 1st to 3rd rounds. Drop off in productions, yes but not potentials. By your statement, you want the kid to sit back for few years and when he's ready, he'll step in... isn't that the logic of 3rd, 4th round prospects? Way I see it, most logical concept of draft is like this:

1st round: immediate contributor.
2nd round: either immediate contributor/main back-up
3rd and 4th round: projections/potentials to be a starter
5th-7th: special team contributor/troubled kid with huge potentials.

Do you agree with this concept or not?
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
If, if, if. I don't play that game. Because then I'll say this; what if steelers sign a big fa name? What if we won against packers? What if we didn't sign woodley to an extension? I can go on really. Secondary actually are our best defensive playmakers and that's not saying much but its easier to find a cover 2 safety than a pass-rusher who can constantly give pressure.

Lebeau seem to love hampton so much tha even he sucks.... tell me im wrong. It is likely for steelers to get a nt in first 2 rounds than any secondary player in first 2 round and that's based on trend of past drafts.

I may be wrong but reason why I'm not loving the idea is that there aren't a drop off in talent-wise for safeties between 1st to 3rd rounds. Drop off in productions, yes but not potentials. By your statement, you want the kid to sit back for few years and when he's ready, he'll step in... isn't that the logic of 3rd, 4th round prospects? Way I see it, most logical concept of draft is like this:

1st round: immediate contributor.
2nd round: either immediate contributor/main back-up
3rd and 4th round: projections/potentials to be a starter
5th-7th: special team contributor/troubled kid with huge potentials.

Do you agree with this concept or not?

No. I do not agree. And I can not figure out how you read my statement and conclude that ANY 1st round player will sit back for years. This years safety class is good. If some underclassmen come out it will be very good. This draft class has some very good NT candidates but they are mostly at the top end ( rounds 1 or 2).

Teams that have veteran talent, like the Steelers and Pats, can wait and teach the players their systems. Teams with sucky talent, like the Browns and KC have to get the players in because they have no talent.

Someone like Pouncey or Decastro is rare for the Steelers but the Oline had such a talent suck it is not surprising. Heyward and Hood needed to learn the 5 tech and bulk up to play it. The only defensive lineman I can remember starting as a rookie was Hampton and it took 6 games before he started.

Now the defensive technique the linemen use is fairly unique. It requires much more teaching then just rushing up field as fast as you can. Lebeau defense and for that matter Noll's defense, relies on each person knowing their part and doing it.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

If some of the underclassmen come out this will be a very good safety class. It looks good but top heavy for the NT class as well. I'm just saying, do not be surprised if the Steelers take a NT in the first.

Tony Jefferson looks pretty good.
Anybody have any thoughts on Travis Howard -OSU?

...you have a forum resume?
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Travis Howard as a 3rd-4th round pick.

Tony Jefferson is easily 1st round pick, had looked better than Eric Reid so far.

Bottom line what I'm saying is; follow the trend of values if you want to be successful with the draft. If you want a good NT, you got to get one early on. Same with pass-rusher. Safeties are always broaden on board, always had.

We haven't drafted one in mid-round since Anthony Smith and that hurts. Like I said, if the BPA is safety, so be it. If safety isn't the BPA, don't draft one in 1st or 2nd. I'd rather go with a pass-rusher because it's became more relevant position for us right now and a player within 1st round usually have great athleticism and huge potentials which would give us some idea when putting him up front and unleash him.

If there's a 1st round safety that I want; it's Tony Jefferson, not Eric Reid. If Jefferson isn't there, don't draft one until 3rd round (my preference at least) because considering the salary cap issues, we are likely to lose more than 1 offensive weapons and we want to be able to have some room between 2nd-5th rounds to get one.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt want to make a new thread for this, but Mike Mauti had yet ANOTHER knee injury. I know some people on here like him, but this is exactly why I want nothing to do with him. I might take a late round flyer on the guy, but no way Id spend a top 100 pick on a guy that I doubt will play until he is 30.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: