Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Round Draft Targets
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: 1st Round Draft Targets Reply with quote

1st Round Targets

WR Robert Woods
S Eric Reid
ILB Manti Te'o
CB Johnthan Banks
OLB Corey Lemonier
OLB Sean Porter

WR Robert Woods is probably only going to be considered if we don't think we can sign Wallace. I don't see us franchising him. Something else to consider though is that Sanders is very average (2.3 rec per game avg) and even if we did sign Wallace, and let Sanders go, taking Woods would give us three WR's capable of being the #1 WR and, if Wallace is still not signed before the draft, by taking Woods, Wallace would know we really mean "take it or leave it".

I think S Eric Reid is probably our top target if he's available. We need a top talent at Safety to play a few games each year since Polo is often hurt and Clark can't play in Denver. Also Reid can take over for Polo in a few years when he decides to retire.

ILB Manti Te'o would fill a need since Foote should be on his last season with us or next to last season but what if Spence is the guy? I know it's asking a lot, we wouldn't know until after the draft whether Spence can step in for Foote but they could keep Foote until the final 53 just to make sure. I really like Te'o but I think Safety or OLB has to be our first pick.

I like CB Banks but not as a CB for us, because we make them play so far off the line, but as a Safety. He played Safety before moving up to CB this year so he should be able to make the transition back for us. Another thing I like is that after playing Safety for us for a few years it's possible we could move him up to CB to replace Ike Taylor.

OLB's Lemonier and Porter I think are our targets if Reid is gone.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we draft a WR in the first round I'm throwing an oversized draft board at Colbert's head. Wallace or not, we have enough options with Saunders, Brown and Miller.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
If we draft a WR in the first round I'm throwing an oversized draft board at Colbert's head. Wallace or not, we have enough options with Saunders, Brown and Miller.

No point in this hypothetical, because there's a better chance the Browns win the SB than this to happen.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Round Draft Targets Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
1st Round Targets

WR Robert Woods
S Eric Reid
ILB Manti Te'o
CB Johnthan Banks
OLB Corey Lemonier
OLB Sean Porter

WR Robert Woods is probably only going to be considered if we don't think we can sign Wallace. I don't see us franchising him. Something else to consider though is that Sanders is very average (2.3 rec per game avg) and even if we did sign Wallace, and let Sanders go, taking Woods would give us three WR's capable of being the #1 WR and, if Wallace is still not signed before the draft, by taking Woods, Wallace would know we really mean "take it or leave it".

I think S Eric Reid is probably our top target if he's available. We need a top talent at Safety to play a few games each year since Polo is often hurt and Clark can't play in Denver. Also Reid can take over for Polo in a few years when he decides to retire.

ILB Manti Te'o would fill a need since Foote should be on his last season with us or next to last season but what if Spence is the guy? I know it's asking a lot, we wouldn't know until after the draft whether Spence can step in for Foote but they could keep Foote until the final 53 just to make sure. I really like Te'o but I think Safety or OLB has to be our first pick.

I like CB Banks but not as a CB for us, because we make them play so far off the line, but as a Safety. He played Safety before moving up to CB this year so he should be able to make the transition back for us. Another thing I like is that after playing Safety for us for a few years it's possible we could move him up to CB to replace Ike Taylor.

OLB's Lemonier and Porter I think are our targets if Reid is gone.

not too sure about Porter. I'd much rather have Lamonte Moore, although he might be gone too early
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Teo is this year's DeCastro. We'll probably draft a few slots too low to expect to get him but he'd probably be the BPA pick they go with if he falls to him.

S/CB are bigger needs though so I'm expecting they target Reid or Banks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods isnt even the best receiver on his team, drops more passes than Limas, doesn't have great hands by any means.

Allen
Williams
Hopkins
are all better hands receivers.

...you have a forum resume?
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
I think Teo is this year's DeCastro. We'll probably draft a few slots too low to expect to get him but he'd probably be the BPA pick they go with if he falls to him.

Te'o would be a good pick but I would worry that if he is gone then Alec Ogletree would be the pick. He is another Timmons.

I think Sam Montgomery and Johnathan Jenkins could be added to the list. Bjoern Werner if they want to move Ziggy inside( or give up on him).

Jenkins is a stretch in the 1st but if there is no OLB or S play makers then they could go Jenkins or Jesse Williams in the 2nd.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our biggest problem (even bigger than the OL) is we have absolutely no defensive playmakers. There's a reason why we're looking average without Troy.

We need a defensive back who will be a complete game changer.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather Keenan Allen, only in 1st if we even consider it a bit at all.

Terrence Williams, De'Andre Hopkins, Marquees Wilson, or Cordarrelle Patterson in 2nd.

Both WVA WRs in 3rd round. That's mine for 3rd round if we are targeting WRs.

Player I'd HOPE Steelers doesn't go after; Marcus Davis. Extremely overrated.

I see Manti Te'o going early on, top 10 probably.

After Jonathan Banks, I wouldn't mind Xavier Rhodes at CB.

depends on where we are picking, there are a strong class of 1st-3rd round safety prospects, so I see us picking some in between but not 1st round.

Many pass-rushers are very inconsistent in this draft class outside of Jarvis Jones and Bjoern Werner. Makes me want to stay away, I'd consider Dion Jordan in 3rd though.

If it's an inside linebacker, it's likely we will go after Alec Ogletree (fits need and where we might be picking)

If it's a nose tackle, either John Jenkins or Jesse Williams.

Not a good draft for us, lacking pass-rushers.

I'll have to say we probably will get a nose tackle this year, unfortunately.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

Te'o would be a good pick but I would worry that if he is gone then Alec Ogletree would be the pick. He is another Timmons.

I think Sam Montgomery and Johnathan Jenkins could be added to the list. Bjoern Werner if they want to move Ziggy inside( or give up on him).

Jenkins is a stretch in the 1st but if there is no OLB or S play makers then they could go Jenkins or Jesse Williams in the 2nd.

I don't think drafting Werner would mean the end of Ziggy. I think Werner would play OLB and I doubt we'll be switching to a 4-3 this abruptly.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Werner would be OLB as well but I was looking at old info on his weight. He is 272 right now. He might be able to drop 20 ibs to play OLB but I would rather he put on 30 and play DE. His arms are so long can scratch the back of his knee without bending. He could be close to a J.J. Watt type but he is very similar to Aaron Smith right now.

I just do not see CB as a first round pick unless there is no one there. Taylor, Lewis, Brown, Allen and DVD is a solid group. Maybe Reid but I just do not see any CB that is a real playmaker.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
SteelersFan2333

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike is 32, becoming more and more inconsistent, with a group of unproven, #2 CBs behind him- I could definately see us going CB in the first if there is someone there we believe is worth it. Not saying we should, but I am perfectly fine getting a #1 CB in the first, and following it up with an OLB and a couple of safeties, we need S depth and a couple of guys to start learning the system, remember it took Troy a few years to really get to know the system. Heres the draft I did a week ago, and I,m still happy with it, I believe it is easier to find pass rushers late than DB.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=502398
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelersFan2333 wrote:
Ike is 32, becoming more and more inconsistent, with a group of unproven, #2 CBs behind him- I could definately see us going CB in the first if there is someone there we believe is worth it. Not saying we should, but I am perfectly fine getting a #1 CB in the first, and following it up with an OLB and a couple of safeties, we need S depth and a couple of guys to start learning the system, remember it took Troy a few years to really get to know the system. Heres the draft I did a week ago, and I,m still happy with it, I believe it is easier to find pass rushers late than DB.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=502398

Cortez Allen has the potential to be a number 1. He just needs more time to develop and some type of pass rush. Im not saying CB in the first is impossible, but it depends on who is there.

Banks isnt that good. Not bad, but not first round caliber IMO.

To be honest, outside of Milner, I dont think there is a single CB Id take in the first round, and he will likely be gone well before we pick. I may be forgetting someone, but at the moment, there are no CBs that stick out to me.

If we go DB in the first, Id much rather it be a safety. At least we have potential and young talent at CB, and Ike will likely be the starter through 2014...for better or worse. Troy cant stay healthy and Clark, while playing well, is 33 now. And all we have behind them is Will Allen and Ryan Mundy.

Anyway...I wont rule out any defensive position, but its not as simple as saying "take this position in the first, and this in the 2nd", because it depends on who is available. If there is a top pass rusher on the board in the first, we damn well better take it.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
stefan52268

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm leaning towards Safety. Hopefully Eric Reid!

I just hope it's a player on the Defensive side that fills one of our many needs!

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posters above. CB isn't a huge need. Just think about positions depth to yourself for who'll be future of our team

To me, the positions I get least excited about are LB with Worilds and Carter, Spence is wait-and-see at ILB, and Mundy at safety. Those are the top needs on defense. I still have more faith in Worilds / Carter and Spence then I do Mundy. Especially, since we need safety depth at both spots. And I for sure have more faith in Keenan, Cortez, and Curtis then I do Mundy. So top 3 on D go in this order:

1. S
2. OLB
3. ILB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: