Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame, a Brown?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wukusimw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about putting him at SLB? From what I have seen of him it seems like he can really be a monster blitzing but ND doesn't have him do it that often. SLB would minimize his lack of sideline to sideline speed while also putting him in a good position to make a lot of plays. However, DQ-MT-CG sounds like a better lineup to me when it comes to stopping the run than CR-DQ-MT.
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wukusimw wrote:
What about putting him at SLB? From what I have seen of him it seems like he can really be a monster blitzing but ND doesn't have him do it that often. SLB would minimize his lack of sideline to sideline speed while also putting him in a good position to make a lot of plays. However, DQ-MT-CG sounds like a better lineup to me when it comes to stopping the run than CR-DQ-MT.

I think Te'o is a perfect SLB for us.

In the Nickel, Jauron keeps the MLB and SLB on the field, typically. He would be a 3 down LB.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Te'o is the perfect MLB for us

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
Te'o is the perfect MLB for us

Except DQ's $42M contract says otherwise. And his play last year says otherwise. And, considering the circumstances(playing behind 2 rookie DT's) his play this year says otherwise.
StewieRules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he could play either Sam or Mike - but if you play him at strong side, what do you do with Gocong and his nice recent contract?

If it were me (and it most assuredly is NOT) I'd go with Gocong at Sam, Teo at Mike and let DQ do his thang at Will. Who knows, a move like that might put a few more years on his career.
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:
I think he could play either Sam or Mike - but if you play him at strong side, what do you do with Gocong and his nice recent contract?

If it were me (and it most assuredly is NOT) I'd go with Gocong at Sam, Teo at Mike and let DQ do his thang at Will. Who knows, a move like that might put a few more years on his career.

My problem with that is, the Mike makes all the calls on defense. He's makes sure everyone is in position. He's makes sure every knows what is going on, makes adjustments and so on. DQ is GREAT at this. He's never out of position.

Put Gocong back at Will, which he was playing very well last year. Just had crap talent in front of him.

Te'o at the more physical Sam spot.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
StewieRules wrote:

My problem with that is, the Mike makes all the calls on defense. He's makes sure everyone is in position. He's makes sure every knows what is going on, makes adjustments and so on. DQ is GREAT at this. He's never out of position.

Put Gocong back at Will, which he was playing very well last year. Just had crap talent in front of him.

Te'o at the more physical Sam spot.

Gocong is by far the biggest of the lbs and bigger than Te'o. Gocong has no business playing Will and trying to cover TEs. Gocong can work the the edge and stop the run....

DQ has done a fine job calling the defense, but I have no doubt Te'o could do the same. Or have DQ call the defensive adjustments from the Will spot if your set on him continuing to make the calls... What DQ excels at is his athleticism and movement, tacking in space which makes him great on the edge, but not stepping up and tackling in the hole as a true Mike. DQ would excel at Will...

Te'o is an elite run stopper, extremely intelligent, and can drop into zone coverage as well. All signs point to him as an elite NFL level MLB...

Mel Kiper was on espn radio this morning talking about college qbs and the heisman candidates and in a round about way ending up talking about Te'o... Kiper has I'm right now as 2nd in the heisman hunt and a top 5 pick in the draft.... Compared him strongly to urlacher....
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in drafting him only if the Browns are able to trade down between picks 5-10. I would like to draft Jarvis Jones, but not because I think SLB is a huge need. Teo has looked very good and could be the player needed to help Cleveland's defense go from being solid/good to possibly being elite. This is assuming they find a respectable free safety and a good pass rusher, though.

Smack on the sig.
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of Te o and think of him in the mold of a Ray Lewis. I would be ecstatic to bring him to anchor the defense. It wouldn't matter to me if he played the MLB or WLB.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
Gocong is by far the biggest of the lbs and bigger than Te'o. Gocong has no business playing Will and trying to cover TEs. Gocong can work the the edge and stop the run....

Tell me, why on earth would a Will be covering a TE? In most cases, a TE would suggest the Strong side, which is where our SAM would line up. Our LB's change sides according to the offense. Soo, this is kind of a pointless reason. And working the edge and stopping the run is the job of any outside LB.

DQ has done a fine job calling the defense, but I have no doubt Te'o could do the same. Or have DQ call the defensive adjustments from the Will spot if your set on him continuing to make the calls... What DQ excels at is his athleticism and movement, tacking in space which makes him great on the edge, but not stepping up and tackling in the hole as a true Mike. DQ would excel at Will...

I actually have not doubt that Te'o could make the calls as well, but I know if I was a HC or DC, I'd feel much more comfortable with my 28 borderline PBer making the calls than a rookie. Your reasons for DQ at Will are the same responsibilities for every LBer. Its the DT's that are making life harder for DQ. Once Taylor and Rubin are healthy, he'll be great again.

Te'o is an elite run stopper, extremely intelligent, and can drop into zone coverage as well. All signs point to him as an elite NFL level MLB...

Sounds like what a SAM should do as well. since they cover the TE and all.

It's clear I firmly disagree with you and DS on this topic.
pmk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Te'o play once this year and while he was impressive he didn't do anything that Rolando McClain didn't do and he has not lived up to his draft status. I'm really not a fan of taking a LB in the top part of the 1st round unless they are an outside rush LB. For those who have watched a lot of ND this year, what sets Te'o apart from the Rolando McClain, Aaron Curry, Luke Kuelchy, Jerod Mayo, & Keith Rivers of the world (all of these guys have not played up to their draft position except maybe Mayo)?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:
I've seen Te'o play once this year and while he was impressive he didn't do anything that Rolando McClain didn't do and he has not lived up to his draft status. I'm really not a fan of taking a LB in the top part of the 1st round unless they are an outside rush LB. For those who have watched a lot of ND this year, what sets Te'o apart from the Rolando McClain, Aaron Curry, Luke Kuelchy, Jerod Mayo, & Keith Rivers of the world (all of these guys have not played up to their draft position except maybe Mayo)?

I've seen 4 of their games this yearan I don't even like ND. I think nearly everyone that has watched ND has saw Te'o make a huge impact - hence all the national media attention and high ratings from talent evaluators. Maybe the one game you saw you were watching the offense? Te'o draft status is going higher, not lower so far this season.

But it doesn't really matter what the guys did in the NFL that you pointed out (even though most of those guys are playing great haha) becuase by your reasoning a team would never draft anyone becuase you can find busts and players that struggled that were drafted at every position and at every point of the draft.
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmk wrote:

Personally, I think there's a difference in football IQ. He's never out of position and he has complete control of ND's defense. He's makes the calls and you can physically see him run around lining people up.

The other thing, I think there isn't the surrounding talent those you listed had. Te'o is doing things on his own. Whether its in the run, coverage, or blitz. He seems to get himself where he needs to be by himself.

And I don't think he's relying completely on his physical ability to get him where he needs to be either. As the Rivers', Curry's and McClian's have done.
wukusimw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree definitely his mental makeup that sets him apart from many others. Mainly his leadership. I love Kuechly and think LK has the better instincts and athleticism, but Manti's leadership would be just as valuable. DQ showing him the way would be great, and along with Haden and Ward the D would be energied, cohesive, hard hitting, and fun to watch.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Te'o was awesome this evening in guiding the D and in shutting down OU in Norman no less.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: