Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 8 GDT Thread: DEN vs NO on SNF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnylongfella

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:
Mays wont get cut unless he play completely falls off the table. He has too much value for this team on special teams.

Whether we sign or draft a MLBer, Mays stays. He'll backup and play great special teams.

He signed a 3 year, 12 million dollar contract this summer. You dont pay that type of $$$ for a backup MLB/special teamer. If he cant regain his starting job he should be cut.

I agree. Regardless of ST value if he can't regain his starting job he'll be a salary cap casualty. In short, priced himself out of a job.

How much of his contract is guaranteed though? If its the entire contract then I wouldnt say hes getting cut. If its a small amount, the sure, he is expendable. I dont think the front office would guarantee the whole extension but worse things have happened.

Hes actually got more value than some are saying. Hes obviously good on special teams, hes a pretty decent blitzing LBer so you can scheme him in with a good DC on passing downs, and hes not a terrible backup to have on the team in a crucial position.

I think hes got some value to stick around.

All valid points. I don't know how the contract reads.

I guess my point is that if he falls into that "salary cap hell" with say a $4m cap hit if he stays and $1m if he's cut he'll be gone. Thats too high a percentage of the entire cap to pay for a backup.

My guess is thats about where he'll fall.

Signed a three-year, $12 million contract. The deal contains $4.5 million guaranteed, including a $500,000 signing bonus, all of Mays' first-year salary, and $500,000 of his second-year salary. 2012: $3.5 million, 2013: $4 million, 2014: $3.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

So it appears he is quite expendable in year 2, with only 500k guaranteed.

big_palooka wrote:

Call me a troll if you must.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnylongfella wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:
Mays wont get cut unless he play completely falls off the table. He has too much value for this team on special teams.

Whether we sign or draft a MLBer, Mays stays. He'll backup and play great special teams.

He signed a 3 year, 12 million dollar contract this summer. You dont pay that type of $$$ for a backup MLB/special teamer. If he cant regain his starting job he should be cut.

I agree. Regardless of ST value if he can't regain his starting job he'll be a salary cap casualty. In short, priced himself out of a job.

How much of his contract is guaranteed though? If its the entire contract then I wouldnt say hes getting cut. If its a small amount, the sure, he is expendable. I dont think the front office would guarantee the whole extension but worse things have happened.

Hes actually got more value than some are saying. Hes obviously good on special teams, hes a pretty decent blitzing LBer so you can scheme him in with a good DC on passing downs, and hes not a terrible backup to have on the team in a crucial position.

I guess my point is that if he falls into that "salary cap hell" with say a $4m cap hit if he stays and $1m if he's cut he'll be gone. Thats too high a percentage of the entire cap to pay for a backup.

Signed a three-year, $12 million contract. The deal contains $4.5 million guaranteed, including a $500,000 signing bonus, all of Mays' first-year salary, and $500,000 of his second-year salary. 2012: $3.5 million, 2013: $4 million, 2014: $3.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2015: Free Agent

Good info!
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is wrong with Tracy Porter? Being sick is one thing but it sounds like it's pretty serious. Hope he gets better soon.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnylongfella wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

If $4.5M is guaranteed over the next 3 years, then yes, hes likely gone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
What the hell is wrong with Tracy Porter? Being sick is one thing but it sounds like it's pretty serious. Hope he gets better soon.

Is he still sick?

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Is he still sick?
Looks like he suffered a seizure in August.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21854766/broncos-tracy-porter-missing-time-because-seizure?utm_medium=facebook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw an article on Twitter claiming he was benched because of a bad attitude. Lombardi retweeted it but it sounds like a a bunch of BS to me.

Seizures are scary things man, I hope he gets better for his health's sake.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
iLikeDefense wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Is he still sick?
Looks like he suffered a seizure in August.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21854766/broncos-tracy-porter-missing-time-because-seizure?utm_medium=facebook

Thats bad news. Seizures are no joke.

My nephew has epilepsy and my father passed away from a brain aneurism cause by his seizures. Nonetheless, Ive had my fair share of seizing issues and this should not be taken lightly.

I hope doctors do whats right for his health. Seizures are no joke, especially considering all the head trauma involved with football.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just listening to 104.3 with DMAC and this other guy (not Al) who was in the locker room today talking with some players, and he said that he asked the question: Who would you want starting at CB opposite of Bailey? He didn't name any names, but he said a lot of them said Chris Harris. Interesting that players would openly say that.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8555436/tracy-porter-denver-broncos-cb-play-sunday-due-illness

Porter out for the game.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am bummed that Porter is out of this game, I could see him sticking it to his old team with an apply-timed pick-6. Hopefully Jimmy Graham will be out too and it will make it somewhat of a wash; still I rather have both players playing than neither.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwall wrote:
I am bummed that Porter is out of this game, I could see him sticking it to his old team with an apply-timed pick-6. Hopefully Jimmy Graham will be out too and it will make it somewhat of a wash; still I rather have both players playing than neither.

It obviously sucks to not have Porter, but Harris is better than him anyway, and I don't mind him starting. Carter looked good too, so there's reason for optimism.

Thanks, Tzimisce
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
bwall wrote:

It obviously sucks to not have Porter, but Harris is better than him anyway, and I don't mind him starting. Carter looked good too, so there's reason for optimism.

harris played outside last week?
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
bwall wrote:

Carter played outside against SD. Harris continued in the slot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
bwall wrote:

Carter played outside against SD. Harris continued in the slot.

I said this last week when Porter was out. Carter is much better playing outside then he is playing the slot.

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: