Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

For those of you on the General board, the LWAIQB is short for the Late Wednesday Afternoon-ish Quarterback, and it's just awful. Last week I started with a new series asking fans of a certain team about what's going on with the team so far this season. It's an opportunity to get fans of other teams to learn about things they might not otherwise find out watching ESPN all day. It's fun and educational!

What do we ever make of Sam Bradford? How much better does he look in 2012, and is it enough?

If he's still not doing well, can the dreaded b-word be considered for Bradford at this point?

Is this the beginning of the end for Steven Jackson?

St. Louis' offensive line was recognized as something of a historic mess last season. How are things coming along in 2012?

Since everyone is absolutely infatuated with Wayne Hunter for the hell if I know, is he an improvement over Jason Smith?

Could the Rams have the best defensive line in the NFL already, or is that a bit premature?

Has Cortland Finnegan lived up to his contract thus far?

Name one offensive player who may be unfamiliar to the rest of the NFL, but is someone who Rams fans are excited about.

Defensive player?

Who on the Rams is really grinding your gears right now?

How much of a cushion does St. Louis' historic slump leading into 2012 give people like Jeff Fisher and Les Snead in terms of job security? Is this looked upon as a rebuilding project, or is some degree of immediate success expected?

Finally, please share your favorite Keith Null memories.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
For those of you on the General board, the LWAIQB is short for the Late Wednesday Afternoon-ish Quarterback, and it's just awful. Last week I started with a new series asking fans of a certain team about what's going on with the team so far this season. It's an opportunity to get fans of other teams to learn about things they might not otherwise find out watching ESPN all day. It's fun and educational!

What do we ever make of Sam Bradford? How much better does he look in 2012, and is it enough?

He is getting better each week. Not there yet but I am not doubting that he will be a top QB in the league

If he's still not doing well, can the dreaded b-word be considered for Bradford at this point?

N/A

Yes, as sad as it is to say.

St. Louis' offensive line was recognized as something of a historic mess last season. How are things coming along in 2012?

Surprisingly not bad considering the group and the injuries. I think they will only improve throughout the season with getting Wells and Saffold back plus getting people like Barksdale and Shelley up to speed. Still upset about Kendricks being used to much to block but he helps out a lot.

Since everyone is absolutely infatuated with Wayne Hunter for the hell if I know, is he an improvement over Jason Smith?

Big time.

Could the Rams have the best defensive line in the NFL already, or is that a bit premature?

I think for a 4-3 set they are very close. Brockers has looked great since coming back and Quinn and Long are a great duo.

Yes, really fits our defense and is a great playmaker.

Name one offensive player who may be unfamiliar to the rest of the NFL, but is someone who Rams fans are excited about.

Daryl Richardson is the obvious answer here. Has a great burst. Probably will never be a feature back.

Defensive player?

Bradley Fletcher. Janoris and Cortland get a lot of praise, but he has been great in coverage.

Most hated man just left (Moose). Probably besides him its Gibson and Craig Dahl. Dahl doesn't offer anything outside of being okay in run support. Gibson has mental lapses.

How much of a cushion does St. Louis' historic slump leading into 2012 give people like Jeff Fisher and Les Snead in terms of job security? Is this looked upon as a rebuilding project, or is some degree of immediate success expected?

The team has a different attitude. They think they can play/beat anyone. This is much different than the past regimes. Obviously that honeymoon period will end eventually. Our fanbase is really excited about our future with our young nucleus and haul of high draft picks.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:

He's a young QB who is still growing. It's my personal belief that his development was stunted by Spags, Shurmur and our previous staff. As a rookie, they shied away from letting Bradford take shots down field and make mistakes. I think the overly conservative nature of our coaches was instilled in Sam and he's finally coming out of that shell and taking more risks. It ends up good and it ends up bad. I'm basically treating him like a rookie right now. However, his improvement has been noticeable.

I jumped on Bradford early this year for being a statue in the pocket, not scrambling when given a chance and not feeling the pass rush. He's improved 10-fold in all of those areas. He's started to take off and run when given seams if nothing is there. He's now consistently keeping his feet moving and moving around in the pocket. And against GB, there were a couple times when a pass rusher was inches from sacking him and Bradford was able to step up and elude him to make the throw. In terms of pocket presence, he's gone from bad to good. And that's a real big thing.

Another area where his game improved is the 4th quarter. Most people said that Bradford didn't have the ability to lead his team to wins in crunch time. Currently, his QBR in the 4th quarter is at 102 and in the 4th quarter within 7, it's at 114. He's been great in the 4th quarter. Now if that level of play could carry over to the 2nd and 3rd quarters, our offense might be able to be a consistent unit. But he's definitely showing up in crunch time.

I also like that he's taking shots down the field when given the chance and his velocity this year has been amazing.

The problems in his game right now are that he makes some stupid mistakes(like the Green Bay int...he didn't set his feet while escaping pressure which led to an under-thrown deep ball), he's still not reading defenses at a high level which leads him to miss open WRs at times and I think he could be a bit more willing to throw into tight windows. Still, those things, I think, will improve with time, experience and comfort in his 3rd system in 3 years. All in all, I've really liked the improvement from Bradford this year. He's obviously working on his game and getting good coaching. He's also shown that he has all the arm talent needed to be great. Just needs to keep refining the mental side of things.

Quote:

People can use whatever words they want to describe him. Won't change my opinion. The irony is that you normally hear it coming from the box score watchers instead of opposing fans after the game.

Quote:

Yes. Honestly, I don't think any of us would be too shocked if Daryl Richardson started against NE. With Richardson's lightning element, it allows Jackson to still remain effective and he's an excellent blocker in the passing game as well as a good, reliable receiver. But he's not at all the same player he used to be. His burst is just not there anymore.

Quote:

It started out a tad messy but things are picking up. They were solid vs. Miami and darn good against GB. We finally benched and cut Ojinnaka who was the worst OG in the NFL...worse than Goldberg was for us...that should say something. Shelley Smith replaced him against GB and had a great game. Barksdale started in place of the injured Wayne Hunter and actually played solid football. Paul Boudreau is an unbelievable offensive line coach. We just had the best game of the year from our left side of our OL with our 3rd string LT and our 3rd string LG. Saffold and Wells will be back after the bye. Our OL should start to really come together then...especially if Shelley Smith keeps his play up.

Quote:

A MASSIVE improvement. Has played solid football for us as our starting LT. Only bad game I'd say he's had was against Miami and he was actually good as a run blocker in that game. Just got beat badly a few times as a pass protector but that hasn't been the norm this year. He held Chris Clemons and Calais Campbell sackless.

Quote:

A tad premature. We'll hopefully be there soon though. We need more depth but our starters are really coming together. Langford is nothing special but he's solid. However, Brockers is emerging as a REALLY good player and you guys already know about Quinn and Long. If we can add some depth and Brockers keeps improving, I'll say at that point that we are.

Quote:

Yes. All that needs to be said.

Quote:

Chris Givens would be an obvious one. He now has 4 straight games with a 50+ yard catch and is averaging around 27 yards per catch. He's emerged as a real deep threat. However, his 56 yard catch against Green Bay actually came on a screen pass. He's really emerging as a WR with a future in this league. Funny thing is that in college, one of his strongest attributes was his route running, thus far, he hasn't contributed that much on shorter routes. I think we'll see more and more of that as the year goes on. Right now, Givens looks like he could be a really good deep threat for us for years to come.

Quote:
Defensive player?

Bradley Fletcher would be my choice. I don't know if he'll be back next year because he'll hit UFA but he's been really good this year. He's our most reliable cover CB and has held in check some of the best WRs in the game. GB and Jordy Nelson were the first team to have success against him this year. Hopefully he rebounds well.

Quote:

Craig Dahl. He's the bane of every Rams' fans existence right now. He's a solid special teamer and a capable enough backup but he's our starting FS and he's just not good in that role. He's more of a downhill backup SS type and he constantly is getting exposed in coverage. He's not athletic enough and has poor hands. If we had a legit FS back there, our pass defense would be unbelievable. Gotta hope they pick one up this off-season.

Quote:

They'll have plenty of time. And with the way this draft class has turned out, I don't foresee them being on the hot seat for awhile unless they really screw things up in the future.

As with anything, there is some immediate success expected. I want to win, the team wants to win and other Rams fans want us to win. But we're not going to call for their heads if the team goes 6-10 or 7-9. They'll get a chance. Right now, the team is competing with everyone so you're not going to hear much complaining about the job they're doing.

Quote:

Only if you share your favorite Anthony Wright stories. Laughing

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:

He's still settling into yet another offense, but I'm not worried. He has the tools and flashes elite ability, just needs more consistency and talent around him IMO to become what he should be...

Nope, he's never had even 80% of the necessary pieces around him to be successful. Until he plays porous with at least this, I can't label him a bust...

Absolutely, he could be gone before the trade deadline...

It's definitely better than last season, but it's still a hot mess and changes by the quarter it seems...

Yes, Smith wasn't the same player after his injury scare. Hunter has actually been pretty serviceable thus far...

Little premature, but they have the talent. Still need some better depth though...

Absolutely. His attitude alone has helped...

Chris Givens. Dude is gonna be the next Mike Wallace...

Defensive player?

Jo lonn Dunbar. He's been refreshing to watch at OLB...

Lance Kendricks. He just can't put it together...

Absolutely a rebuild. I don't think many expected us to have even this much success this early...

Haha...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
iRaMs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

Finally, please share your favorite Keith Null memories.[/quote]

hmmm, for some reason. That name makes me want to crawl up into a ball and turn the lights off and shiver in fear.

chris00cm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Null memories? I only have one. It was that awful game against the Titans. I believe he had 3 INT's. Maybe four.

For whatever reason, I wanna say Rusty Smith was starting for the Titans in that game. But that could be wrong as well.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
yrba1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to 2011, Sam has done a much better job this year and it's enough considering his circumstances of learning a 3rd offense and a group of raw/stop-gap receivers

I'd give him 2 more years until we can say whether he's a bust or not

I think he'll most likely end up going to another team, heck we might've played the team he'll be playing for next season

It's somewhat shaky but the line has done a better job protecting Bradford and best of all, he's finally using his legs to keep drives alive

Hunter has been playing LT whereas Barry Richardson has been playing RT. Richardson has done a way better job than Smith right now. Smith had the talent, he was just a proven hazard in pass protection

Think it's premature, especially when Rodgers was able to get happy feet while Long was well contained in yesterday's game

From what I've seen, he's worth every penny

Brian Quick, although he's moved the chains in garbage time, he's shown flashes of being a promising receiver for us. He just needs to get his mental A-game on.

Defensive player?

Jo-lonn Dunbar, for years we've had a glaring hole at OLB. He's done a excellent job filling that void

Quinn Ojinnaka, really glad we got rid of him. Now it's Craig Dahl but only when he's on coverage.

The Rams are remodeling, Jeff Fisher said. I know this team has a lot of holes on offense but we might be contenders next season.

Was cheering for the kid during that dreaded 2009 season.
El ramster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:

He looks very good. He's taking deep shots and moving around the pocket. He's using his athleticism constantly. Still we have MAJOR issues scoring in the redzone. Which is weird because he was quite good as a rookie. We're not using our personnel correctly IMO. Sam is to blame as well, he's not finding the open man.

He's no Rick Mirer!

Sadly the Horse is worn out. He can still grind it out in the 4th QTR.

it's stiff iffy. Being held with Bubble gum and duck tape.
Paul is an amazing OL coach.

10x better. Wayne has played LT much harder than RT IMO.
Btw, didn't Smith allow a game ending sack/penalty vs a team not that long ago? reminded me of Alex Barron with dallas.

Man the skill and youth is there. Langford while not special! has been solid. The addition of Brockers has freed up a lot of them. The LB's are crashing the LOS. For years no-name RB's would gash us. For years we would allow 4-5 YPC. This is new to us, Brockers looks to be a great one. Quinn man! Nuff said vice versa for Long.

Absolutely!

It's a tie for me between Daryl Richardson and Chris Givens.
But I'll go with Givens.. 4 straight games with a 50+ yard reception? That hasn't been done since the early 80's.
Defensive player?
Jon Dunbar! He has been money. Extremely fast and a sure tackler. Just like our run D! The last good OLB we had was Pisa!
So many years of guys going in and out that position. I hope we sign him long term.

We just cut him. Oji! he would get blasted constantly..

All the time he wants Very Happy

Ewwwwwwww...

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still set for doing this next week, but I need a few more responses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Still set for doing this next week, but I need a few more responses.

You won't get em lol. Most of the guys who posted are the active ones.

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
stlblackshirt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

I'll take a whack

GaTechRavens wrote:

Ugh. It's really hard not to be a fan of that kid. The talent around him sucked, he's on his 3rd offensive coordinator in as many years in the league, and he was really hampered by the ankle last year. People loved him in the draft and believed he could be a top 5 NFL QB. Part of the reason Jeff Fisher took this job was because of Sam.

But logically I'm worried. There is a book on Bradford now that dictates he has to have an above average O-Line to keep his feet clean in the pocket. Otherwise, you have to roll him out more. He also has to be in the right system in order to have success. He's not like an Aaron Rodgers whose skill is good enough to run anything. The good news is the a Air-Coryell system based on timing routes (which is what the Rams run now) seems to fit him like better. I would love to see him put up 400 yd 5 TD games, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe if he goes off one week I would feel better.

Gut feeling - he's a top 10 QB in the NFL one day, but not for another year.

Again, because this is a new system and all I would reserve judgment until the end of this year.

When he first came here, I hated him after the "give me the damn ball, I'm better than Marshall" rant. But every Rams fan saw how hard that guy worked and after facing 8-9 in the box week after week, he's owed a great deal of respect. Now, he's one of my favorites.

Right now, he's serviceable and would be a great fit for Green Bay New England etc if he wants to chase a ring. Rams fans love his loyalty to the franchise, but would most likely understand if he wanted to go that route.

Slowly. Paul Boudreau (the new O-Line coach) should be given the keys to the city after the job he has done with the spare parts of this line.

No question.

In terms of a 4-3 front, there aren't many with as much potential. Still, it's premature to say best but a dark horse top 5, sure.

Just for his attitude alone.

Chris Givens has been getting pub and that's great, but he has given this offense something it hasn't had since the days of Mad Mike. Speed. Explosive speed.

This team plays in a dome. It has a history of "track stars" running by everyone. If it was up to me, I'd have a whole fleet of WRs with speed to burn. It's great to finally have a big play guy again.

Defensive player?

Michael Brockers. I know a 1st rounder isn't a well-kept secret and I might be getting ahead of myself, but he looks like he could be Albert Haynsworth with his head on straight. Scary upside with Long and Quinn coming from the outside.

Craig Dahl and Lance Kendricks. Dahl is a waste of a roster spot and Kendricks was a 2nd round pick who has not been a weapon at all.

6 wins and not to be the "easy" game on the schedule were the reasonable goals I had for them coming into the year. That has happened. Let's face it, if Jeff Fisher bought back Eddie George tomorrow to be a backup RB, I'd talk myself into it. Totally on board with those guys.

Finding out Ryan Leaf was his QB coach in college.

chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: LWAIQB Spotlight: A Series of Questions Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
What do we ever make of Sam Bradford? How much better does he look in 2012, and is it enough?Like many have said, he's had a rough NFL career early. He's had to battle through a lot of adversity. With all things considered, he's done pretty well. Those things being part of a rebuilding project for a new regime, the three offensive coordinators (and QB coaches), lack of playmakers on offense, and the lack of overall talent on the offensive line. I'd imagine it's gotta be tough when every year you have new players all around you, and different guys telling you what to do. Very hard to get comfortable. Bradford hasn't been elite, but I think he could be worst with all of these things considered.

Lets wait until it's obvious Sam Bradford is the problem. I don't think anyone can say he is.

Absolutely. He will not be a Ram next season. Hopefully for the Rams sake, they can move on from him early and trade him now. This is not a playoff team, and losing a leader and a franchise player stings and takes time to adjust. Lets learn how to practice and play without Steven Jackson this season, instead of next. That will benefit the Rams more than not.

Awesome considering the circumstances. The offensive line was chaos last season. It really ruined the Josh McDaniels experiment last year. Anyways, this year the offensive line is organized chaos. Honestly, has there ever been a worst starting group than Wayne Hunter, Quinn Ojinnaka, Robert Turner, Harvey Dahl, and Barry Richardson? Against the Packers, the Rams rolled out Joseph Barksdale at LT and Shelley Smith at LG and they were even better. Absolutely contained Clay Matthews, who arguably had one of his worst weeks against this laughable group of offensive linemen.

Paul Boudreau is the Rams new offensive line coach this season. A guy known and praised for getting something out of nothing. Please, crown this man.

Wayne Hunter has been awesome. That's an understatement. The fact the Jets were willing to take on Jason Smith and that contract really speaks volumes on how they felt about him. The Rams traded Jason Smith for a starting LT. Hunter has been amazing and has been shutting out opposing pass rushers all season. Honestly would argue starting him over Rodger Saffold at LT when he's healthy. He's been that good. He's really earned that argument.

A bit premature just because half of the defensive line is premature. Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn, as crazy as it sounds, are still growing. This is Quinn's first year starting. Everything is a learning experience yet I think he's 4th in the NFL in sacks. If anyone can bring the best out of pass rushers, it's coach Mike Waufle who built that dominate Giants defensive line.

Every penny. He's really been a coach on and off the field. Not only that, he's made great plays. Been a big factor in every win. He plays best under Jeff Fisher after struggling last season with the Titans.

Chris Givens. Has some DeSean Jackson like skills. Well, skills he showed early in his career. Is faster than anyone else on the field.

But I want the no-named offensive line as a group to also get some spotlight. They have been awesome.

Defensive player?
Tough to name one. I think most of the Rams defense is pretty well known. I'll go with Jo-Lonn Dunbar at OLB. Us Rams fans haven't seen a difference maker at OLB since Brandon Chillar maybe? People laugh at the position, but when you've seen nothing but trash at OLB for 6 or 7 years, it's a refreshing sight to see someone make plays there. James Laurinaitis isn't forced to make every tackle anymore.

Lance Kendricks needs to learn how to play. Hell of a blocker, raw (I guess that's the best way to explain it) as a receiver.

Craig Dahl just because he's an awful scheme fit. He's forced to cover guys because of what the new defensive scheme demands from its safeties, but he is an in-the-box safety only. Does not have any coverage skills. He gets beat constantly.

How can anyone expect immediate success after the last 6 years. A 6 win season is a dream come true. We've seen former GM Billy Devaney try to rebuild this franchise. He did a good job adding franchise building blocks and good character guys, but severely struggled at adding playmakers. The Rams were a slow team the last few years that basically relied on perfect technique and coaching. When the technique isn't there, bad things happen when every team is faster and more athletic than you. New GM Les Snead has come in and done an amazing job adding athletes all over the field. Athletes that make plays. And now he has a lot of resources to work with thanks to the #2 overall pick trade. He can add a lot of good playmakers early in the next two drafts.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: