Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Biggest cultural gap between new movies and old?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x0x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Biggest cultural gap between new movies and old? Reply with quote

You can only pick one!

I think no cell-phone presence in movies from the mid 80s and earlier would be my pick.

How often does internet matter in a story right?
tinoynk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phones? Really? It's not like modern movies set pre-1990s have people on cell phones. I doubt you'll see any in Django Unchained or Les Mis. Will that bug you? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

The most tangible thing has gotta be the stuff movies can get away with these days, in terms of language, violence and sexual content. I mean Hitchcock was about as racy and shocking as big mainstream movies got until the 60s, and there's very little graphic violence, no harsh language and only lots and lots of implication and innuendo when it comes to sex.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that really jumps out to me is how in really old movies the men have these really deep voices where the women have these soft high pitched voices. I'm always wondering if people really sounded like that back then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
Cell phones? Really? It's not like modern movies set pre-1990s have people on cell phones. I doubt you'll see any in Django Unchained or Les Mis. Will that bug you? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

The most tangible thing has gotta be the stuff movies can get away with these days, in terms of language, violence and sexual content. I mean Hitchcock was about as racy and shocking as big mainstream movies got until the 60s, and there's very little graphic violence, no harsh language and only lots and lots of implication and innuendo when it comes to sex.

I think he meant "cultural" in the looser term, like closer to pop culture, like the way people dress or whatever, but your way seems good too. Wink Also, period pices are kind of in there own thing.

My biggest difference would be who the main audience of movies is is now, its pretty much all geared towards teens, even the "sexy" movies really are more for like 16 to early 20's.

Im actually in my late 20's so I dont have too much experience with old movies but they seemed a little more mature. Movie companies have pretty much focused on youth nowadays.

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacing/editing is the biggest difference

You sit an average person under 25 down, in front of older films they will have a tough time with the slow pace....and lose interest.

Attention spans are less and less and with that cuts/edits are much much quicker nowadays.

It will take more people out of a movie then.... "Well why dont they just use their cell phones?"...not saying that was a bad example though

#2 would've been Filming techniques...we have a much more active & dynamic camera style today. It use to be much more stagnant obviously.

Eagles Forum Hall of Famer | 2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Reigning & Final? ENBD Champion
He Hate Me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scores/music of a lot of older music makes me so sleepy. I hate some of the music in them.

Props to Eggy
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The movies of today have a much faster pace than the old time movies.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The six-shooters of old that had endless ammunition and the guns that have limits of today.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a writing standpoint, it's the Keyser Soze reveal.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Malcolm Butler
#RunTheEast
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheesyness of dramatic moments.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is constantly evolving.

-Terminator 2
-Jurassic Park
-Forrest Gump
-Pulp Fiction
-The Usual Suspects
-Toy Story
-Independence Day
-Titanic
-Saving Private Ryan
-a TON of films in 1999 (the matrix, Star wars, the mummy, austin powers, american beauty, the sixth sense - what a great year that was)
-Gladiator
-Spider-man
-Lord of The Rings
-The Dark Knight

All of those movies exercised incredible influence over the genre. The Matrix, The Dark Knight, Spider-man, and Gladiator probably being the most influential. They changed styles, they changed the way films were shot, the way they were marketed; for Spider & gladiator - jump started dead genres.

The mid to late 1990s saw the rise of 'one liners' almost exclusively due to the success of Terminator, Forrest Gump, and Independence Day. As a result, films in the years at followed were full of them; with big time releases like BATMAN & ROBIN & Armageddon practically having one liners exclusively.

The matrix made slow mo cool.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
younggun1273

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
The six-shooters of old that had endless ammunition and the guns that have limits of today.

It's undoubtedly cooler looking putting in a magazine clip instead of fumbling over 6 individual bullets.

Justo on the sig
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
One thing that really jumps out to me is how in really old movies the men have these really deep voices where the women have these soft high pitched voices. I'm always wondering if people really sounded like that back then.

Yeah, I've always wondered about this too. In the old movies, the men sound like... men. You know? I think speech conventions change very rapidly compared to other cultural artifacts. Think about how the way people talk has changed just since the 90s. I think people genuinely spoke in a more enunciated fashion.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore.

Older movies would show a scream and a splatter of blood. Nowadays, you see all sorts of disgusting things.

Adopt-a-Buc Lavonte David 12 Games | 133 Tackles (16 for loss) | 1 Sack | 4 PDs | 3 FFs | 1 FR
x0x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
Gore.

Older movies would show a scream and a splatter of blood. Nowadays, you see all sorts of disgusting things.

The splatter films of the 80s were a ton more gory than most of the films today.

CGI blood effects are comical.

The prosthetics and make-up used in the 80s is superior.

The other thing is how many 80s gore flicks were banned in numerous countries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: