Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Owen Daniels TD Catch

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8434
Location: MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Owen Daniels TD Catch Reply with quote

Just wanted to bring in something that I posted in the Good/Bad/Ugly thread in Gen. I wasn't on during the game, so I'm not sure if this was discussed in the gameday thread. I'm a little hesitant to go in there and see what was written prior to page 25 or so. Anyway, I was surprised that the Owen Daniels TD catch held up to review. Not that it would have changed anything, but considering how loosely interpreted the ball touching the ground rule is (generally if it touches then no catch, even though that's not the correct ruling necessarily) I was shocked they didnt call no catch. You can see his hands seperate from the ball and it bounce back up into his chest. They probably would have still scored, but I was a bit miffed by this.

Thoughts on the Pollard helmet-to-helmet as well? All day the CBS crew would say something then have to backtrack. They were all over Pollard at first, but when they saw the replay resorted to, "well, it may not have been h-t-h, but you cant make contact with his helmet!" Seemed like a reach to me.

sp6488 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
The Good-
Terrell Suggs coming back strong off the Achilles injury, despite looking out of shape.
Jacoby Jones continues to give us a return threat that we haven't had in years.
Ray Rice was effective running the ball when he had the opportunities.

The Bad-
O-line couldn't give Joe any time at all.
Our receivers couldn't get a lick of seperation.
Flacco missed some throws.

The Ugly-
Cam Cameron's playcalling.
Defensive scheme/execution.
The Dierdorff/Gumbel broadcast crew was awful along with the production team. They were blatantly wrong on so many of their first reactions and highlights/replays of big plays were either missing or severely delayed.

**Side note: In no way did this impact the game, but I thought the TD catch by Daniels was BS. I feel like we see refs call any ball that even touches the ground incomplete (even though that's not the rule). In this cas we saw his hand seperate from the ball and a bounce. Just want some consistency.


I didn't see a bounce. If there was, it was shielded by his body.

Bottom line is you couldn't overturn that play because there was no conclusive evidence. Had it been called an incompletion, it would have stood as well.


Right around 0:50

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000082815/Owen-Daniels-dives-for-TD-catch

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 20119
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Daniels play was a TD, but the call on Pollard was beyond atrocious. In no way did he even ATTEMPT to go helmet to helmet with the guy.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nevermore


Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 6348
Location: Austria
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with SnA.
Daniels caught the ball, but that personal foul flag was pathetic. Not that it mattered.
_________________
ChazStandard wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
you have to be more than just a man in the mind of your opponent


Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 21276
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked like a TD to me. Looked like the ball hit the ground but he didn't lose control of it.

Though, I think if it had been called an incompletion the call would have stood too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8434
Location: MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
It looked like a TD to me. Looked like the ball hit the ground but he didn't lose control of it.

Though, I think if it had been called an incompletion the call would have stood too.


See, before the ball hits the ground, though, it appears that his left hand comes off of the ball then reclutches as it hits the ground and seems to bounce up into his chest/stomach. Not a big deal, didn't decide anything, just seems a little inconsistent considering that refs generally seem to equate any ball touching the ground as using the ground to secure the catch. Now, this is very similar to the Boldin TD in week 1, which I feel could have gone either way, and maybe the key here is original ruling. Just thought it was an interesting call. When I was watching the game later, there was another similar catch that was reviewed. Was glad they kept some consistency by ruling that as a catch as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jpeter15


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 175
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't think the ground caused the ball to move at all so it looked like a TD to me.

The Pollard helmet to helmet call was mildly questionable. I basically dislike the rule more than the ref's calls. I have seen refs call far worse instances than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiritoftruth


Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 2165
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys may have tuned out of the game at that point or something. That clearly wasn't a touchdown.

Daniels had control of the ball, then went to re-position it into his body, and in the process of doing that, took both hands off the ball, the ball then hit the ground and bounced right back up into his chest so it didn't really look to move around a lot, but he didn't have actual control of it at that point. Looked clear as day that it wasn't a TD.

But no big deal, they probably would've scored right after that anyway.
_________________

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8434
Location: MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
You guys may have tuned out of the game at that point or something. That clearly wasn't a touchdown.

Daniels had control of the ball, then went to re-position it into his body, and in the process of doing that, took both hands off the ball, the ball then hit the ground and bounced right back up into his chest so it didn't really look to move around a lot, but he didn't have actual control of it at that point. Looked clear as day that it wasn't a TD.

But no big deal, they probably would've scored right after that anyway.


Well this makes me feel like I'm not totally crazy here. If anyone needs a refresher, please see the link in the OP.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SnA ExclusiVe


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 20119
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the NFL.com clip, yeah, that ball hit the ground.

However, it doesn't matter they would've scored on the next play, and if that failed they would've gone for it on 4th down and walked into the endzone probably.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8434
Location: MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
After watching the NFL.com clip, yeah, that ball hit the ground.

However, it doesn't matter they would've scored on the next play, and if that failed they would've gone for it on 4th down and walked into the endzone probably.


I agree that it probably didnt matter, but then again every play does matter. We can speculate what may have happened, but maybe there's a tipped ball with a Reed return on the next play. Again, not saying this impacted the final score at all, but the correct call should be made regardless of situation. This rule in particular seems to be one of the least consistently administered/applied in the league.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jaytrajik


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 13607
Location: Odessa/Houston
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the ball never hits the ground. His hands are underneath the ball the entire time. The only question is, did he bobble it or secure it when he was bringing it into his chest and there wasn't any conclusive evidence to state that he didn't.
_________________


"I don't always throw a TD pass but when i do, it's to the wrong team" - The most interesting man in Houston #8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8434
Location: MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytrajik wrote:
Actually the ball never hits the ground. His hands are underneath the ball the entire time. The only question is, did he bobble it or secure it when he was bringing it into his chest and there wasn't any conclusive evidence to state that he didn't.


I disagree. It appears that after he gets both hands back on the ball, the nose hits the ground. The key thing, though, is that it was so quick that I don't think there's conclusive evidence that he didn't catch it cleanly, at least not enough to overturn.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jaytrajik


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 13607
Location: Odessa/Houston
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
Actually the ball never hits the ground. His hands are underneath the ball the entire time. The only question is, did he bobble it or secure it when he was bringing it into his chest and there wasn't any conclusive evidence to state that he didn't.


I disagree. It appears that after he gets both hands back on the ball, the nose hits the ground. The key thing, though, is that it was so quick that I don't think there's conclusive evidence that he didn't catch it cleanly, at least not enough to overturn.


I posted a poll in the general section, check it out.
_________________


"I don't always throw a TD pass but when i do, it's to the wrong team" - The most interesting man in Houston #8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8434
Location: MD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytrajik wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
Jaytrajik wrote:
Actually the ball never hits the ground. His hands are underneath the ball the entire time. The only question is, did he bobble it or secure it when he was bringing it into his chest and there wasn't any conclusive evidence to state that he didn't.


I disagree. It appears that after he gets both hands back on the ball, the nose hits the ground. The key thing, though, is that it was so quick that I don't think there's conclusive evidence that he didn't catch it cleanly, at least not enough to overturn.


I posted a poll in the general section, check it out.


I saw. Congrats on finally getting that in the right place Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group