Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wow Hurney is gone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Steve Reed ‏@SteveReedAP
To be clear, Brandon Beane is handling day-to-day duties in football operations for the Panthers. Not named GM.

Thanks CK
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKpantherfan wrote:
Stunning.

I figured there'd be changes if we finished the season like we started it.

I'm curious about three fairly simple questions though:

1) Why should our team's problems mean that it's specifically the GM who has to go rather than a coach, player or someone else?

Is it Hurney's fault that Cam is playing so badly? Is it his fault that the offensive play calling is so bad? I understand that Hurney had a big impact on the crazy contracts we've signed recently and I understand his impact on our drafting but regardless of GM we're stuck with the same squad for the rest of the season and it's not like we're going restructure dozens of contracts as soon as the new GM steps through the door.

2) Why now? i.e. what do they hope to achieve by making this chnge at this particular time and not when we had a bye week or at the end of the season?

3) What are they hoping that the new GM can do with what little of the season that will be left by the time they get someone new in?

Someone help me understand this because right now it seems like either too little to late, the right guy (but not the only guy) at the wrong time, or the right move too early.

They might bring in someone while the season is still going so they can essentially audition the roster and coaches and decide who they're going to keep/release.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
UKpantherfan wrote:
Stunning.

I figured there'd be changes if we finished the season like we started it.

I'm curious about three fairly simple questions though:

1) Why should our team's problems mean that it's specifically the GM who has to go rather than a coach, player or someone else?

Is it Hurney's fault that Cam is playing so badly? Is it his fault that the offensive play calling is so bad? I understand that Hurney had a big impact on the crazy contracts we've signed recently and I understand his impact on our drafting but regardless of GM we're stuck with the same squad for the rest of the season and it's not like we're going restructure dozens of contracts as soon as the new GM steps through the door.

2) Why now? i.e. what do they hope to achieve by making this chnge at this particular time and not when we had a bye week or at the end of the season?

3) What are they hoping that the new GM can do with what little of the season that will be left by the time they get someone new in?

Someone help me understand this because right now it seems like either too little to late, the right guy (but not the only guy) at the wrong time, or the right move too early.

They might bring in someone while the season is still going so they can essentially audition the roster and coaches and decide who they're going to keep/release.

That will be tough to do all the good ones have a job right now and another team want let you interview there guys till end of season

Thanks CK
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so

gamble and beason news supposedly coming (assuming it is IR)
hurney fired which doesn't improve the team whatsoever in mid-season
dwill, kalil, cam, and cj complaining about the coaches

are we officially the biggest joke in the NFL? we're at least in the running with the jets.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Joe Person ‏@josephperson
Rivera: "Changes are coming." Said firing an assistant coach could be a possibility.

Thanks CK
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:
Rivera: "Changes are coming." Said firing an assistant coach could be a possibility.

Add head coach to the list of possibilities come the end of the season, Mr. Rivera.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think we someone down there to step up and take hold ... step up and say enough is enough," -- Hurney of the locker room environment.

Hurney said "leadership in locker rooms" is probably the most underrated part of the league because talent level is so even. ..."

"...And we have people who are capable of it."

Thanks CK
rjkilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

literally just did the victor cruz dance...alright so i think the timing is perfect. after playing so poorly on offense coming off the bye it was clear this team has no sense of urgency or pride in their performance. this sends a message through the whole organization that you are now auditioning for your job. put your best foot forward and we might find a spot for you next year. keep putting forth the pathetic effort we see every week and you'll be unemployed. as far as a replacement. no thanks to becoming the carolina chargers. i'd like to look at houston, pitt, 9ers, giants, pats, or packers front office.

Last edited by rjkilla on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with firing Hurney, but the timing does seem a little curious to me.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know why aj smith has been mentioned. he's terrible. their drafts have been bad and theres a reason charger fans want to clean house with smith and turner gone. sooooo def no.
this was a shocker esp with the timing but i hope they look to one of consistently good teams and poach someone from them.
i wonder what other changes are forthcoming

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
FriendlyEnemy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major overhaul is coming soon, and I think a lot of longtime Panthers are about to see the door.

These are who I think are gonna get the axe:
Rivera & Co.
Deangelo Williams (Unless GM wanted to get a coach that actually values the running game)
Chris Gamble
Jordan Gross

Those are the big names. I think some other Players like Nakamura, Hardy, Gettis, and Tolbert could be on the chopping block as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Quote:

Can Rivera fire himself?
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamble does nothing but keep his mouth shut and do his job. He needs to stay. Gross needs to restructure or get out, he's so overrated.

Beason needs to stay. He is a field general and the potential of him and Keuchly is way too high to give up on.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Johnson pretty much just said who he truly feels is the issue with the team.

http://chirb.it/eIGPGK
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be curious to see how Rivera and Co. change now that Hurney is out of the picture. Maybe they turn it up a notch, in order to keep their jobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: