Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

D-LINE
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cheesuschets


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 40
Location: Toronto, Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: D-LINE Reply with quote

I dont post on here often, just lurk here and there.

probably a thread on this already but i`ll make another one for the hell of it.

why did the niners waste their first 2 picks on projects this year and not draft a defensive lineman?

aj jenkins? whats the status on this guy???
lemichael james? a punt return weapon possibly?

justin smith is great and all, but he's getting up there...33 i believe?

ike is good but they could do better

mcdonald is ok but again i think they could do way better.

whats the general consensus as to what could happen with the DLINE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13379
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: D-LINE Reply with quote

cheesuschets wrote:
I dont post on here often, just lurk here and there.

probably a thread on this already but i`ll make another one for the hell of it.

why did the niners waste their first 2 picks on projects this year and not draft a defensive lineman?

aj jenkins? whats the status on this guy???
lemichael james? a punt return weapon possibly?

justin smith is great and all, but he's getting up there...33 i believe?

ike is good but they could do better

mcdonald is ok but again i think they could do way better.

whats the general consensus as to what could happen with the DLINE?



You're vastly underrating RayMac. Don't worry, I was guilty of the same offense two years ago. Just watch him go and you'll realize he's very good.

Yes, Justin is getting older (who isn't?), but he's still frequently drawing triple-teams and he is a major factor on every play, even if he doesn't make a play. Sopoaga hasn't played much, between us lining up in nickel and him being injured, but as far as anyone can tell, he's playing well.

Had we drafted a DL instead of Jenkins or James, he still wouldn't have seen the field much if at all, with our starters playing so many snaps and being that good. There's cause to be concerned for the future, because filling Justin's shoes will be a very hard task. But we said the same thing about Bryant Young, and Justin Smith became his replacement. All we can do is have faith in our front office. And I do have tremendous faith in our front office, after these last two years. We'll work on DL depth starting in february, after winning the Superbowl!
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14426
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: D-LINE Reply with quote

cheesuschets wrote:
I dont post on here often, just lurk here and there.

probably a thread on this already but i`ll make another one for the hell of it.

why did the niners waste their first 2 picks on projects this year and not draft a defensive lineman?

aj jenkins? whats the status on this guy???
lemichael james? a punt return weapon possibly?

justin smith is great and all, but he's getting up there...33 i believe?

ike is good but they could do better

mcdonald is ok but again i think they could do way better.

whats the general consensus as to what could happen with the DLINE?


Lots of luck with this question. I made the mistake of making a similar suggestion during draft season and happened to mention I thought we had a large drop off from our starters to our backups on the d-line, and got pretty well dumped on by folks here who see a lot of potential in Dobbs and tukuafu.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gore Whore 21


Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 4355
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like what RJF and Dobbs bring to the table beyond that I'm less than impressed. Williams and Jerrod-Eddie have potential, but they are a ways from reaching that. I really wanted to draft Jared Crick this year, who fell along way. I would love to grab someone like William Gholston this year. He reminds me of Calais Campbell, another prospect I really wanted.
_________________
saintsfan on the sig

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrissooner49er


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 4062
Location: Tulsa, OK
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
I really like what RJF and Dobbs bring to the table beyond that I'm less than impressed. Williams and Jerrod-Eddie have potential, but they are a ways from reaching that. I really wanted to draft Jared Crick this year, who fell along way. I would love to grab someone like William Gholston this year. He reminds me of Calais Campbell, another prospect I really wanted.


Nah, Bjoern Werner of FSU is who we should target...another Justin Smith in the making, IMO.
_________________
fa·nat·ic (f-ntk)
A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
Draft wishes:1st-Beckham/Cooks,Fuller/Verrett;2nd-T. Murphy,Moncrief,Su'a-Filo,M. Smith;3rd-Abbrederis,Ben Gardner,J.Watkins,T. Reilly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 40151
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting more okay with the idea of targeting an early DL in the next draft.

I still have faith in Ian W and Dobbs developing further into starting quality lineman... but we still don't know enough of how they will do against starting OL. We also have a lot of draft picks to play with.. so I'm not opposed to adding future insurance to the DE position.

Have to wait and see what happens with RJF and Sopo being back next year. We get one of them back, and I'll feel pretty secure with one of them plus Ian as the NTs. We do have a lot of DL depth looking at short contracts.

Ray is awesome and locked up through 2015. I have to believe Justin will be extended in the offseason... no way we let him go. These two take incredible care of their conditioning, so the age doesn't concern me right now. Can't hurt to make sure we have strong options, in case either should lose time due to an injury... or just get more breathers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ataal


Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 2669
Location: Avondale, Arizona
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know what will happen. Drafting is more of an art than a science at times. Generally, you pick the best available, not what you necessarily need. So, depending on where we're picking and who's available, it's very possible we pick up some defensive talent soon.

Right now, I have a hard time finding a "glaring" weakness on our team. Given how Walker has been performing this year, I really wish we could have grabbed Fleener. But, he's still pretty good at run blocking, according to Jay's stats he posted. If that's all we use him for, I'm okay with that. We've been beasting at the run.

Ginn doesn't seem like his old self, which is a concern as well. If James fills the role of return man, I just don't see us keeping Ginn. He's not that great at WR and probably last on our depth chart there right now.

Only thing I can think of that I'd like to seal some gaps is on special teams. We're allowing way too much return yardage. Costanzo, ditch the Bears and come back!!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14426
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I'm getting more okay with the idea of targeting an early DL in the next draft.

I still have faith in Ian W and Dobbs developing further into starting quality lineman... but we still don't know enough of how they will do against starting OL. We also have a lot of draft picks to play with.. so I'm not opposed to adding future insurance to the DE position.

Have to wait and see what happens with RJF and Sopo being back next year. We get one of them back, and I'll feel pretty secure with one of them plus Ian as the NTs. We do have a lot of DL depth looking at short contracts.

Ray is awesome and locked up through 2015. I have to believe Justin will be extended in the offseason... no way we let him go. These two take incredible care of their conditioning, so the age doesn't concern me right now. Can't hurt to make sure we have strong options, in case either should lose time due to an injury... or just get more breathers.


Certainly that. But also because it will take 2 or 3 years for guys to reach their peak physically and learn their positions. While it appears Justin can go on forever truth is that he can't. The way to be prepared for him or one of the other guys to leave, or worse - get hurt, is get someone this year and start grooming them. That's how Bill did it - always having guys ready to step in so he could get rid of aging veterans and get enough for them to keep re-stocking the team. Much harder to do in the salary cap era, but still a good general approach.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
in po we trust


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 1433
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be all for spending some high picks on DL. I'd love to see what Jim Tomsula could do with some high ceiling talent knowing what he's done with guys like RJF, Aubrayo Franklin, and Sopoaga.
_________________
*Free Joe Looney!



*(as an extra blocker)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gore Whore 21


Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 4355
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
I really like what RJF and Dobbs bring to the table beyond that I'm less than impressed. Williams and Jerrod-Eddie have potential, but they are a ways from reaching that. I really wanted to draft Jared Crick this year, who fell along way. I would love to grab someone like William Gholston this year. He reminds me of Calais Campbell, another prospect I really wanted.


Nah, Bjoern Werner of FSU is who we should target...another Justin Smith in the making, IMO.


Absolutely love Werner, but we'd have to lose a lot of games from here on out to be able to land him.
_________________
saintsfan on the sig

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Psychlone


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 3874
Location: Marin County, CA.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
I really like what RJF and Dobbs bring to the table beyond that I'm less than impressed. Williams and Jerrod-Eddie have potential, but they are a ways from reaching that. I really wanted to draft Jared Crick this year, who fell along way. I would love to grab someone like William Gholston this year. He reminds me of Calais Campbell, another prospect I really wanted.


Nah, Bjoern Werner of FSU is who we should target...another Justin Smith in the making, IMO.


Absolutely love Werner, but we'd have to lose a lot of games from here on out to be able to land him.
Or trade up. If there is ever a year to do it, it's now. We already have our current 1st and 2nd rounder sitting because of our depth. What in high heavens are we going to do with 11 draft picks (not including possible comps) next year?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14426
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
I really like what RJF and Dobbs bring to the table beyond that I'm less than impressed. Williams and Jerrod-Eddie have potential, but they are a ways from reaching that. I really wanted to draft Jared Crick this year, who fell along way. I would love to grab someone like William Gholston this year. He reminds me of Calais Campbell, another prospect I really wanted.


Nah, Bjoern Werner of FSU is who we should target...another Justin Smith in the making, IMO.


Absolutely love Werner, but we'd have to lose a lot of games from here on out to be able to land him.
Or trade up. If there is ever a year to do it, it's now. We already have our current 1st and 2nd rounder sitting because of our depth. What in high heavens are we going to do with 11 draft picks (not including possible comps) next year?


I'm not a fan of trading up in general. But there are times when it makes sense. We don't need warm bodies to sit on the bench, or not even dress. We need difference makers. I'd trade all of those picks for for the chance at a few stars. Repalcing Justin will be just about impossible but if there is anyone out there with that kind of potential I'd be for putting a package together to get him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SDniner


Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 43
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Psychlone wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:
I really like what RJF and Dobbs bring to the table beyond that I'm less than impressed. Williams and Jerrod-Eddie have potential, but they are a ways from reaching that. I really wanted to draft Jared Crick this year, who fell along way. I would love to grab someone like William Gholston this year. He reminds me of Calais Campbell, another prospect I really wanted.


Nah, Bjoern Werner of FSU is who we should target...another Justin Smith in the making, IMO.


Absolutely love Werner, but we'd have to lose a lot of games from here on out to be able to land him.
Or trade up. If there is ever a year to do it, it's now. We already have our current 1st and 2nd rounder sitting because of our depth. What in high heavens are we going to do with 11 draft picks (not including possible comps) next year?


I'm not a fan of trading up in general. But there are times when it makes sense. We don't need warm bodies to sit on the bench, or not even dress. We need difference makers. I'd trade all of those picks for for the chance at a few stars. Repalcing Justin will be just about impossible but if there is anyone out there with that kind of potential I'd be for putting a package together to get him.

This is a year when consolidating picks to go get that one difference maker makes a lot of sense for us. There aren't a lot of open roster spots as is so I could see Harbaalke making a move into the mid-first or even moving up in the second if someone falls that they really like. There are some intriguing NT prospects that are ranked highly (Hankins, Lotulelei, John Jenkins) and some very good pass rushers at the top end of the first. We have enough flexibility that we could conceivably trade up for a lot of different positions and I'd be perfectly fine with it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrscottso


Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 10062
Location: NY
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I want to grab one or two DL guys myself. Second, why do I keep reading we have a lot of picks? Where did we get them from?
_________________


BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 40151
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
First off, I want to grab one or two DL guys myself. Second, why do I keep reading we have a lot of picks? Where did we get them from?


This should explain things for you.

http://ninernoise.com/2012/05/01/san-francisco-49ers-are-fully-stocked-for-2013-draft/
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group