You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL is investigating Chargers for usage of banned substance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just makes me ashamed. It's bad enough our coaching staff is the running joke of the NFL. It's bad enough we start a UDFA at LT, the worlds worst RT, and hope our 93 million dollar quarterback won't look like trash.

Hey I've got an idea let's trade up to grab a 2nd round talent in Ryan Matthews in the first round, trade up for a FB in Jacob Hester that isn't even on the roster anymore...

Our training/medical staff is a joke, and now our equipment staff piles it on. This root root root for the home team line is prematurely aging me.
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Wow. Too bad that won't help the receivers much. Phillip Rivers diminished arm strength can't get them the ball anyways.

Chris, you really need to get off this diminished arm strength bit. Rivers has never had a cannon, but his issues aren't due to diminished arm strength, they're due to crappy mechanics - primarily footwork - which is only further compounded upon by a terribad OL.

You realize that if a guy isn't consistently stepping into his throws, as has been the case with Rivers, he's not going to have the kind of strength on his passes that he did when he had a line that afforded him the opportunity to set his feet before throwing, right?

I understand he's never had a cannon of an arm. He relies on his pin-point accuracy and fantastic instincts to complete balls down the field. But there's a reason why there were many "executives" around the league thought he was playing hurt last season. He wasn't driving the ball down the field and was throwing floaters more often then ever in his career. The result was an NFL high in INT's at the end of the season. DB's had more time to adjust to the Rivers' throws.

Sure, you can account some of those problems on the offensive line. As a Rams fan, I know how it feels. Hard to launch a ball down the field when you throw off the back foot. But when I watched Phillip Rivers during the prime of his career, and then watch him now, I see a noticeable difference. Maybe it's age? I don't know. But his ball has lost a couple MPH in the last season and a half. Just my opinion though.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Hey I've got an idea let's trade up to grab a 2nd round talent in Ryan Matthews in the first round

Norv Turner needs to give this kid a chance. He does everything really well. There's no reason Matthews can not be a star in the league. Stop benching him because of ball security. Stop pulling him off the field at the end of games, 3rd downs, and passing situations.

It's almost like Matthews is in the dog house or something. Nothing helps a QB and a OL more than a good running game. Ryan Matthews is more than talented enough to produce that.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
tytalton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put some of that stickum on the Charger's thigh pads and the tops of their cleats and they might be onto something....
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:
Wow. Too bad that won't help the receivers much. Phillip Rivers diminished arm strength can't get them the ball anyways.

You're calling the QB with arguably the best deep ball in football someone who has "diminished arm strength"...?

Are you serious right now?

Now, when you say "in football" does that include the NFC, AFC East, AFC South, AFC North and Denver as well?

If not, I can agree with you. Otherwise Shocked
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

You're calling the QB with arguably the best deep ball in football someone who has "diminished arm strength"...?

Now, when you say "in football" does that include the NFC, AFC East, AFC South, AFC North and Denver as well?

Denying that Rivers throws a very very good deep ball when not being killed is ridiculous.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Sciz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
trade up for a FB in Jacob Hester that isn't even on the roster anymore...
He's not even in the NFL anymore
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
This just makes me ashamed. It's bad enough our coaching staff is the running joke of the NFL. It's bad enough we start a UDFA at LT, the worlds worst RT, and hope our 93 million dollar quarterback won't look like trash.

Hey I've got an idea let's trade up to grab a 2nd round talent in Ryan Matthews in the first round, trade up for a FB in Jacob Hester that isn't even on the roster anymore...

Our training/medical staff is a joke, and now our equipment staff piles it on. This root root root for the home team line is prematurely aging me.

I feel bad for Chargers fans.

So much talent squandered over the years because of poor management.

At first I felt bad because they dumped Marty for Norv Turner.

But the fact is, the main issue extends all the way to the owner.

Spanos is an enabler. He obviously sees Norv and the current regime is doing a horrible job and allows it to continue.

This stickum thing isnt a huge deal IMO. Embarassing maybe....but the real embarassment is how the front office refuses to make the necessary changes.

Sorry....didnt mean to go off topic. I just hate front offices like that, mainly because of what they put fans through.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
The LBC wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Chris, you really need to get off this diminished arm strength bit. Rivers has never had a cannon, but his issues aren't due to diminished arm strength, they're due to crappy mechanics - primarily footwork - which is only further compounded upon by a terribad OL.

You realize that if a guy isn't consistently stepping into his throws, as has been the case with Rivers, he's not going to have the kind of strength on his passes that he did when he had a line that afforded him the opportunity to set his feet before throwing, right?

I understand he's never had a cannon of an arm. He relies on his pin-point accuracy and fantastic instincts to complete balls down the field. But there's a reason why there were many "executives" around the league thought he was playing hurt last season. He wasn't driving the ball down the field and was throwing floaters more often then ever in his career. The result was an NFL high in INT's at the end of the season. DB's had more time to adjust to the Rivers' throws.

Sure, you can account some of those problems on the offensive line. As a Rams fan, I know how it feels. Hard to launch a ball down the field when you throw off the back foot. But when I watched Phillip Rivers during the prime of his career, and then watch him now, I see a noticeable difference. Maybe it's age? I don't know. But his ball has lost a couple MPH in the last season and a half. Just my opinion though.

Yes, there's a reason and a noticeable difference. He isn't stepping into a great deal of his throws - you check the velocity on a throw where a QB can actually step into and through the pass and one where it's nothing but arm with no full body-motion and they're going to be different, the former being the higher velocity throw. He's making some dumb friggin' decisions with regard to throwing into double-coverage, I'm not denying that. But the reason for the floaters isn't that his arm strength has diminished, it's that he's not stepping into his throws thus not getting the same power he did when he actually did/could. Not all of the mechanical issues are a direct result of the porous line, but even when he's not pressured, you can very obviously see him (this season and last) getting happy feet, expecting to get hit any second, and rushing his throws.

Go back at look at the game last season where he was kept the cleanest (sacked only once though it was called back for unnecessary roughness, and only hurried all of 3 times during the game), at home against Baltimore. He was averaging excess of 11 YPA and dropping bombs of 58, 28, and 20 on a dime. In fact, he only had one incomplete pass over 20 yards that entire game and that was an over-throw of Vincent Jackson - while putting the ball where only Jackson could have gotten it and not the DB. That doesn't seem indicative of "diminished arm strength".

His mechanics have regressed under pressure; he's effectively pulled a reverse Big Ben (I honestly don't know how it manages to work, but Ben's mechanics seem to improve in the face of oncoming fire). What's happening with Rivers really isn't all that different from what happened with Peyton when Indy's line turned to utter squalor - and this was occurring prior to his neck being much of a surgery required issue. But people were asking themselves how Peyton seemed to "not be the Peyton of old".

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing

Stick 'em!

Kiltman on the sig
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Denying that Rivers throws a very very good deep ball when not being killed is ridiculous.

Yes Rivers looks like a stud when he isn't being hit. Then again pretty much every quarterback looks like a stud with good protection.
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
chris00cm wrote:

Yes Rivers looks like a stud when he isn't being hit. Then again pretty much every quarterback looks like a stud with good protection.

Preach it..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. One step closer to someone getting fired.

No but seriously I hope this gets Norv suspended for the year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find it funny that they lost the game that this "substance" is in question for being used. Couldn't have been too good for them considering they still weren't able to pull out a win...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
I personally find it funny that they lost the game that this "substance" is in question for being used. Couldn't have been too good for them considering they still weren't able to pull out a win...

Have you seen our coach? We've steadily eroded from a hard hitting team that would grind out yards on the ground and owned the red zone to Girls Scouts that are great at turning over those cookies.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: