Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are the odds that Cam is a bust?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gang-Green!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: What are the odds that Cam is a bust? Reply with quote

Maybe last year was a fluke with Cam. Heís an unbelievable athlete, but can he lead the team? Can Cam consistently drive down and win the game in the last couple minutes? There is going to be adversity in the NFL, he needs to man up. He hasnít proven he can win at the end. There is plenty of blame to go around on the team on that front Ė others have dropped the ball too.

Chud has also been terrible this year. We paid these RBs all this money and then we donít use them, neither of them is that great anyhow. Cam did better last year when so much wasnít put on his shoulders, they have not emphasized Camís strengths.

No question that Hurney has been the biggest problem with the organization, this has been obvious for years. I am willing to cut him some slack with respect to the picks because they havenít really reached on anyone other than Armanti since Shelton. Hurneyís problem has been trading up for no good reason and he even did it last year. Did we really need to give up a 3rd rounder for Frank Alexander? Did we need Collin Jones so much that we need to dump a 7th? Olson has been good, but he at least was a known quantity.

He then went out an overpaid just about everyone. DWill, Beason, Charles Johnson, Stew, Kalil, TD. I think they got Godfrey and Anderson for a reasonable amount and Johnson has played up to his deal, but they still overpaid him. Good thing they got Nakamura.

I fear Beason is done, DWill and Stewart should both be cut for salary purposes. All three need to renegotiate or they will be gone. Gamble flashed, but letís not forget he was in Foxís doghouse and he is getting old. I am not sure they have a starting CB on the team if Gamble is done and they also need a safety.

As I watched Reggie Wayne get the ball across the endzone and Louis Murphy not, I realized we are just one year more down the road without having our WR problem solved and we are currently net down picks in upcoming drafts

Sad when your most productive pick in the recent past is Handgartner.
Panthers need to fire Hurney, start accumulating draft picks whenever possible, draft or sign some DBs, and renegotiate or cut DWill and Stew and (and be looking at Beason). Main thing is get rid of Hurney.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What are the odds that Cam is a bust? Reply with quote

Gang-Green! wrote:
Maybe last year was a fluke with Cam. Heís an unbelievable athlete, but can he lead the team? Can Cam consistently drive down and win the game in the last couple minutes? There is going to be adversity in the NFL, he needs to man up. He hasnít proven he can win at the end. There is plenty of blame to go around on the team on that front Ė others have dropped the ball too.

Chud has also been terrible this year. We paid these RBs all this money and then we donít use them, neither of them is that great anyhow. Cam did better last year when so much wasnít put on his shoulders, they have not emphasized Camís strengths.

No question that Hurney has been the biggest problem with the organization, this has been obvious for years. I am willing to cut him some slack with respect to the picks because they havenít really reached on anyone other than Armanti since Shelton. Hurneyís problem has been trading up for no good reason and he even did it last year. Did we really need to give up a 3rd rounder for Frank Alexander? Did we need Collin Jones so much that we need to dump a 7th? Olson has been good, but he at least was a known quantity.

He then went out an overpaid just about everyone. DWill, Beason, Charles Johnson, Stew, Kalil, TD. I think they got Godfrey and Anderson for a reasonable amount and Johnson has played up to his deal, but they still overpaid him. Good thing they got Nakamura.

I fear Beason is done, DWill and Stewart should both be cut for salary purposes. All three need to renegotiate or they will be gone. Gamble flashed, but letís not forget he was in Foxís doghouse and he is getting old. I am not sure they have a starting CB on the team if Gamble is done and they also need a safety.

As I watched Reggie Wayne get the ball across the endzone and Louis Murphy not, I realized we are just one year more down the road without having our WR problem solved and we are currently net down picks in upcoming drafts

Sad when your most productive pick in the recent past is Handgartner.
Panthers need to fire Hurney, start accumulating draft picks whenever possible, draft or sign some DBs, and renegotiate or cut DWill and Stew and (and be looking at Beason). Main thing is get rid of Hurney.

Hurney deserves some flack for sure but I believe this years draft class will be one of the best in franchise history. Frank Alexander is probably going to be our starter next season, he really does look good. I don't believe Gamble is anywhere near done. He doesn't look slower and he's never been seriously injured.

I don't get the argument that Beason is done. Yeah he doesn't look himself but he had one of the worst injuries in sports. He won't have a chance to look like he used to until next year possibly. The potential of a LB core with Beason is Keuchly is too high to give up on.

I don't think Cam is proving to be a bust. He's not throwing a lot of picks or making a lot of mistakes. Our blocking has been ish for the most part. I think Cam's problem is that A. He hesitates to make throws, B. The WR routes take too long to develop.

Coaching has been sub par for sure. The lack of time management and intensity i totally blame on the coaching staff and I think it's the reason we lost at least 2 games.
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in reference to cam i dont think he will bust. yes he's having an off year but you can't really judge a qb until year 3 or 4 (look at the mannings and rodgers didn't even play his first two)
in all honesty if cam were to retire now i wouldn't consider him a bust. last year he set and smashed records. after a year of clausen and a year of terrible delhomme cam changed it all. i actually had hope going into this season (coaches screwed that up) when i havent had much in years past. he's put the panthers on the map he's changed the entire offense and has ressurected my fave panther of all time smittys career (maybe not as much this year)
but thats just my opinion

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Panthers11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will not bust.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I'd say the odds are 80-20 that he isn't a "bust". Bust is a far cry from what he was last year, and would basically mean that he's a mix of the Seattle game and last year's Tennessee and Jacksonville games.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a possibility he never lives up to being the #1 overall pick. But he'd have to falter hard to end up being a bust. Even in what people perceive as a "down" year, he hasn't been playing that bad. Just very inconsistent. He's shown plenty of positives and at the same time, negatives.
panther dude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me he just seems way too driven and talented to fail but I dont know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bust is to strong of a word. I think he will be a average qb. He will always be a special talent but if he doesnt get a hold on the mental game he will never be great

carolina kitten on the crazy sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy isnt playing bad this season. He's playing very average to juuuuust below average. But not bad. Not overall. I think people are overreacting because expectations were high.

Every game this season there has been good with the bad. Today was no different. But I dont see anything yet that would be cause for concern. He could play better, sure. But most sophmore QBs in the NFL could play better.

CK on the sig
3428fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
The guy isnt playing bad this season. He's playing very average to juuuuust below average. But not bad. Not overall. I think people are overreacting because expectations were high.

Every game this season there has been good with the bad. Today was no different. But I dont see anything yet that would be cause for concern. He could play better, sure. But most sophmore QBs in the NFL could play better.

I dont see luck or rg3 making the type of mistakes he makes and they are rookies. Kid has to grow up quick and i mean quick.

Sir_Purrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3428fanatic wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

I dont see luck or rg3 making the type of mistakes he makes and they are rookies. Kid has to grow up quick and i mean quick.

Andy Dalton went to the Pro Bowl last year too and he's struggling this year as well. Josh Freeman went through this last year and he's coming back strong this year. Cam Newton was not a projected #1 overall draft pick, but he was taken there. At best people labeled him as a "Potential" good QB who was a project. He had the greatest rookie QB season ever and his expectations went through the roof. Now he's struggling in his second year and he's automatically on the road to being a bust. Wow. Just wow. You mentioned Jake Delhomme in the other thread. Look at how many opportunites fans gave him regardless of how many bone headed plays he made and the one year Cam is struggling he's labeled a bust and his Historic rookie season is called a fluke. Come on now...
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3428fanatic wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Am I crazy, or has Luck thrown as many interceptions as TDs and is completing just over half his passes?

I mean, what types of mistakes are we talking about? Poor throws and turnovers?

I am just saying, if we are going to compare him to other QBs, lets compare him to the body. Not just the better examples. How is he looking compared to Bradford? Gabbert? Ponder? Stafford? Freeman? Wilson? Dalton? Weeden? Sanchez?

Young QBs can struggle. You just hope they continue to improve.

CK on the sig
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3428fanatic wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Luck has thrown 7 interceptions this year and Griffin has certainly made his fair share of mistakes.

And that is an unfair comparison. Newton is in his second year in an offense opposing teams have scouted and an offense that has failed to adjust. Which is why he looked better as a rookie than he does now. Which is also why RG3 will likely look better as a rookie than he does when he's a second year quarterback. You know, similar to Staff.

And grow up? What does him making bad decisions have to do with "growing up"? Do mature QBs not make bad decisions or something? Because Peyton made plenty early in his career. As did Eli. As did Elway. As did Aikman. As did other HOFers. Newton is a 23 year old, second year QB that is playing inconsistent. I don't know why people have such a difficult time realizing that he isn't going to look like an MVP right away and it is mind boggling the ridiculously high expectations people seem to have for him.

I do acknowledge he has made his mistakes and can play better. I've said that multiple times. But his mistakes are to be EXPECTED. He's still a young QB, like Stafford, like Ponder, and like Eli, Peyton, Aikman, etc. were.
3428fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
3428fanatic wrote:
J Pep 4 Step wrote:

Luck has thrown 7 interceptions this year and Griffin has certainly made his fair share of mistakes.

And that is an unfair comparison. Newton is in his second year in an offense opposing teams have scouted and an offense that has failed to adjust. Which is why he looked better as a rookie than he does now. Which is also why RG3 will likely look better as a rookie than he does when he's a second year quarterback. You know, similar to Staff.

And grow up? What does him making bad decisions have to do with "growing up"? Do mature QBs not make bad decisions or something? Because Peyton made plenty early in his career. As did Eli. As did Elway. As did Aikman. As did other HOFers. Newton is a 23 year old, second year QB that is playing inconsistent. I don't know why people have such a difficult time realizing that he isn't going to look like an MVP right away and it is mind boggling the ridiculously high expectations people seem to have for him.

I do acknowledge he has made his mistakes and can play better. I've said that multiple times. But his mistakes are to be EXPECTED. He's still a young QB, like Stafford, like Ponder, and like Eli, Peyton, Aikman, etc. were.

Grow up means stop pouting and become a leader. You know like brady, peyton, eli, brees. Do you see them on the sideline pouting? I dont. They try to pump THEIR team up. What other qb ever has needed his team mates to pumo him up? Come on man. Im just being honest. If you cant see the kid has issues right now i dont know what to say.

This is HIS tea. So go out and lead it. Be a MAN and take charge.

He can have all the talent in the worl but if his head isnt right he will never win. You honestly think CHRISTIAN PONDER should be doing better the cam. Seriously? I dont care if he has ap or not. We have stewart and williams and smitty, olsen. We have way morw then the vikings.

johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we can't and don't run the ball it makes it near impossible for him to sucseed. When he tries to stay back to throw our line cant give him the time and he cant step up into the throws.

Fix the oline which fixes running and passing!

Thanks CK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: