Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you guys want?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbrown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there was talk when we were drafting alex where SD wanted to re sign brees and trade rivers and their late first round pick to us. which they would have drafted braylon. I was really big on alex, but i really like rivers coming out of college. obviously we didnt pull the trigger, but rivers is a huge upgrade and as much stock as most of you put into JH improving alex, he would have a field day working with rivers and JH's offense.

also i hate when we grant excuses for our guys but others dont get the same benefit of doubt. none of rivers olinemans would start for us. Imagine if kwame and chilo were our best two olinemen and VD missed 3-6 games per year like Gates does, and if crabtree was out 10 games like Vjax was last season...Oh and if we had the defense that they have and david akers and frank gore were injured and was out the entire year like nate kaeding and ryan mattews were last season. How good we our offense be??? not very good at all... EXCEPT rivers still threw for over 4600 yds and 27 tds. thats equivaslent to about 24 games for alex smith based on his BEST YEARS PRODUCTION.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
well there was talk when we were drafting alex where SD wanted to re sign brees and trade rivers and their late first round pick to us. which they would have drafted braylon. I was really big on alex, but i really like rivers coming out of college. obviously we didnt pull the trigger, but rivers is a huge upgrade and as much stock as most of you put into JH improving alex, he would have a field day working with rivers and JH's offense.

also i hate when we grant excuses for our guys but others dont get the same benefit of doubt. none of rivers olinemans would start for us. Imagine if kwame and chilo were our best two olinemen and VD missed 3-6 games per year like Gates does, and if crabtree was out 10 games like Vjax was last season...Oh and if we had the defense that they have and david akers and frank gore were injured and was out the entire year like nate kaeding and ryan mattews were last season. How good we our offense be??? not very good at all... EXCEPT rivers still threw for over 4600 yds and 27 tds. thats equivaslent to about 24 games for alex smith based on his BEST YEARS PRODUCTION.
great post. If we were able to get Rivers and passed on him we would be FOOLS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
sbrown wrote:

great post. If we were able to get Rivers and passed on him we would be FOOLS.

obviously cost would have to be considered, but this talk about his attitude...trust me if any of our players was that fiery we would all applaud it. because we applaud it when JH acts that way.

again this is just a pipe dream, and we are only half way thru this season. our team made to win NOW, and no matter who is behind center i feel we will be a playoff team, which means we have a damn good chance of winning the SB with alex.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see it. We all saw how elite our defense is when it gets a good rest and how....meh....it is when it doesn't. Rivers has a much higher talent ceiling than Smith, no doubt about it. However, he's also a turnover machine. Our defense would be on the field way too long.

Manning, yes.

Rivers, no.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree- Manning yes- Rivers No. It's a gamble. He is on the downslide? You never know how a QB will play for a different coach or team. If they could get him really cheap perhaps, but I doubt that will happen.

I also think long term Kap has a huge upside and with his additude Harbough can definately develop him into a gem. It's much better to work with a player that you can coach from scratch. If Alex had Harbough from the start he would be a different QB today. I believe that Alex's major problem is in his head and it's possible that by the end of this season that that negative could if not totaly eliminated could most certainly be reduced.
Forge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first factor would definitely be cost. What would it take to pry him away? I'm not giving up a first round pick for a guy who has gotten progressively worse the last couple of years. Would I be interested? sure, but the price has to be right.

More importantly though, right now all it would be is a passing fancy. In my opinion, once you get to a certain point with a qb, if you're going to switch, you have to make sure the new qb is an improvement over the last (one of the reasons i was so adamant about not getting kolb...i didn't think he was an improvement over the bad Alex). There was a post in the in the general forum about ranking the best qbs in the league...i think i had rivers at 11, and Alex at 13...and i said that it may not be long before Alex passes him. So to me, it's just not a guaranteed improvement over what we already have to really justify taking the chance. I'm intrigued, but I'm liking Alex just fine right now (especially because i think the messed up finger had a bigger impact on those two horrible games than we were led to believe).

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Cali2Wisco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the more realistic option is that Turner gets fired, Roman takes a college HC job and Turner comes back to SF to run the offense.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali2Wisco wrote:
I think the more realistic option is that Turner gets fired, Roman takes a college HC job and Turner comes back to SF to run the offense.

Not likely. Turner doesn't care much for the BWO. I'm fairly certain we would promote rather than hire someone from the outside.
49ersfan2152

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would trade for him with out a dought as long as the price is right. He could take us to the next level. He was one of the top 5 QBS with out a dought up intill a couple years ago an he still can be that guy he just has bad coaching, a poor o-line an no one to throw to and a inconsistent running game. Dont think the blame is on him. Love to have him. Think him an Harb would work well together an tear it up! Smith is ok but if were lucky we win one SB with him. He doesnt have the arm an just holds us back. Kapernick might be the answer but I am not sure he has the decision making ability to succeed an the ability to read defenses love to find out sooner then later.

gridiorngreat thnk you for the sig

Favorite Teams
Redsox, 49ers, Celtics, Uconn BB, Bruins, LSU FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: